Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM's File Player MIDI control that scales correctly?

Hi all. AUM's File Player "Rate" setting controls speed from 0.125x or 1/8 speed, MIDI value 0; all the way to 8.000x speed, MIDI value 127. The problem is that I can't figure out how to use some kind of MIDI controller to scale rates correctly, i.e. in increments of 1/8 would be ideal. I can't find a way to reset the rate to exactly 1.000 using MIDI. Any ideas? Has anyone already solved this problem? I'm fairly new to MIDI and I'm trying to set something up in Midi Designer Pro 2 to get this working.

Comments

• @novelty said:
    Hi all. AUM's File Player "Rate" setting controls speed from 0.125x or 1/8 speed, MIDI value 0; all the way to 8.000x speed, MIDI value 127. The problem is that I can't figure out how to use some kind of MIDI controller to scale rates correctly, i.e. in increments of 1/8 would be ideal. I can't find a way to reset the rate to exactly 1.000 using MIDI. Any ideas? Has anyone already solved this problem? I'm fairly new to MIDI and I'm trying to set something up in Midi Designer Pro 2 to get this working.

MIDI CCs have two problems that make it difficult to adjust values precisely. First, the resolution is low, only 128 possible values (0 to 127). Second, there's no exact middle value; you'd need 63.5 for the exact center of the range. Those are fundamental limitations to using a MIDI CC for precise adjustment. Now, 14-bit CCs are possible (using 2 CCs in tandem), but I don't think AUM recognizes them.

Also, I'm not familiar with the File Player. Do you know if the Rate adjustment is linear (equal steps in value) or logarithmic (equal multiple in value)? That will affect what you can do.