Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rum - Room simulator by Klevgränd produkter AB

13»

Comments

• Like all impulse response based processors/effects, the CPU hit is more significant than most algorithmic reverbs.

With regard to their blog article, it feels like a response to many of the views expressed in this thread.

From experience we knew that it'd be a bad idea to push all this content into a plug-in where a fast workflow is what you want, so we started to sift and decided to keep only 10 rooms...

This is a creative choice for the developers, that choice could just as easily have been to reduce the choice to 3 rooms and it would have been just as valid. But it's wrong to say that providing more choice gets in the way of a fast workflow. At the very least, Klevgränd could have provided a way for the artist to load their own IR's. If the artist has an IR collection they're not going to be intimidated by the choice those IR's provide.

I'm also not impressed by the 10 spaces that made the cut. If you're to cut back on choice with the aim of a speedy workflow, all 10 spaces need to be of the highest quality. And in RUM they're not (the cost was small enough that I purchased RUM in the hope that at least 3 of the spaces would be useful to me - and by that metric, my money wasn't wasted).

• @jonmoore said:
    I'm also not impressed by the 10 spaces that made the cut. If you're to cut back on choice with the aim of a speedy workflow, all 10 spaces need to be of the highest quality. And in RUM they're not (the cost was small enough that I purchased RUM in the hope that at least 3 of the spaces would be useful to me - and by that metric, my money wasn't wasted).

I've listened to a few samples on YT and yeah, they're a bit meh.

I don't particularly object to the concept behind the app, essentially it's 10 IRs packaged into a nice UI for not that much money, but I was hoping for some more appealing spaces. I'm guessing they were constrained by the spaces available to them for recording, and they didn't have the budget to book a flight to London to record a handclap at Abbey Road.

• @wim said:

@jacou said:
    How CPU friendly is Rum actually? If it’s lightweight it might be a good Stereo imaging tool for mono audio.

It uses convolution of impulse response files. I’m willing to bet its way more CPU intensive than a simple stereo imager which only has to pan left and right with a small delay on either side. There are plenty of those around.

I see. Well often times I prefer using a wide stereo room with little colour over a L R delay due to phase issues. But then Rum is out for me.

• @jonmoore said:

@Simon said:

The newbie, not having your knowledge, may well opt for the app that clearly states "rooms" over other apps that don't even mention it.

Well, the newbie would do well to research what they're buying before they find their wallet light and their purchases even lighter in terms of their capabilities.

That's not how life works, though. 🤷 What you're describing, or rather prescribing, is not even best practice here on the forum ("Instabuy!!!") . Simon's making a good, practical point imho.