Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rum - Room simulator by Klevgränd produkter AB

Comments

• Well they are featured on the Today page of the App Store, so that might drive some sales :)

• @richardyot said:
    Well they are featured on the Today page of the App Store, so that might drive some sales :)

I hope so, as they’re a good company that have provided plenty of good apps.

• @auxmux said:
    Meh.

I agree. Speaking for myself, I’m more than covered with hundreds of Impulse Responses in my IMPULSation app on iPad and many, many more options on desktop.

I’ll tell you what I’d LIKE to see from this developer: Some in-app purchases to drastically extend the available voices in Pipa. It needs more voice types. More males, more females, more variety in general.

What no one needs is another app that contains the sounds of a box of silverware falling on the floor or seven unique door knobs opening.

• And Ting's update?

• edited September 2021

@jonmoore said:
    If we didn’t have the wonderful IMPULSation, there just might have been a smidgen of worth in RUM. But come on, Klevgränd have form when it comes to packaging very little in an app. When they get it right, these minimalist apps are great because they trim the fat and focus on doing one thing well, but this is a pitiful collection of impulse responses, that verges on ‘the emperor's new clothes’ in terms of worth.

Do you use implulsation for recreating spaces?. Any IR packs in particular you’d recommend?.
    I’ve mainly used it for guitar cabs so far.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @sharifkerbage said:
    And Ting's update?

yes, they seem to have leapfrogged that one... or it just slipped their scandi-minds

• Okay, I’m skipping this one. The business model is starting to look like in game purchases. I dig their aesthetics but it’s getting a little ridiculous.

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Okay, I’m skipping this one. The business model is starting to look like in game purchases. I dig their aesthetics but it’s getting a little ridiculous.

That's the most accurate description I can think of. The scope of their releases is generally the scope of many IAP's with other audio plugin developers.

Don't get me wrong, I really like their parred back approach in many cases. But occasionally, their releases feel a little cynical.

• @jonmoore said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    Okay, I’m skipping this one. The business model is starting to look like in game purchases. I dig their aesthetics but it’s getting a little ridiculous.

That's the most accurate description I can think of. The scope of their releases is generally the scope of many IAP's with other audio plugin developers.

Don't get me wrong, I really like their parred back approach in many cases. But occasionally, their releases feel a little cynical.

Do they listen to customer suggestions?

• also a pass from me. it does sound decent, but very limited for the price. if it was 3$ id snag it and use it once or twice.

• edited September 2021

Yeah they may have overextended their coolness factor on this release… It’s kind of like when Apple released their smart speaker for $300 where everybody already had echo dots and googles that cost less than $50

• This might not excite the AudioBus Forum crowd but remember that Klevgrand makes audio products, not just music products.

This could be very useful for another market, like video producers. You shoot several scenes in one video studio but you want them to sound like different locations - this app could solve that problem.

But, no, I'm not interesed in buying it...

• @Simon said:
    This might not excite the AudioBus Forum crowd but remember that Klevgrand makes audio products, not just music products.

This could be very useful for another market, like video producers. You shoot several scenes in one video studio but you want them to sound like different locations - this app could solve that problem.

But, no, I'm not interesed in buying it...

Good point. ☝️

• If you work in post-production you'll likely be a user of Altiverb 7 XL. The handful of IRs in RUM won't fit your needs, even when mobile. IMPULSation is a far better option on iOS, and that's just with its default selection of IRs (it's a really excellent default library), but when you consider the multitude of free IR's that can be downloaded online, your investment is far more future proof.

• edited September 2021

What he said 👆. I don't have Impulsation, I've been using Thafknar til now. Rum has the lovely Klevgrand interface, in this aspect I much prefer it to Thafknar, which has a really unenjoyable UI, but Rum is definitely limited in terms of the sound you can get out of it. Real pity it can't load IRs

• @jonmoore said:
    If you work in post-production you'll likely be a user of Altiverb 7 XL. The handful of IRs in RUM won't fit your needs, even when mobile. IMPULSation is a far better option on iOS, and that's just with its default selection of IRs (it's a really excellent default library), but when you consider the multitude of free IR's that can be downloaded online, your investment is far more future proof.

That's if you know about IMPULSation. Some people don't. Same with Thafknar. I hadn't heard of either.

And the App store blurb for both IMPULSation and Thafknar talks about reberb but doesn't mention "rooms". The Klevgrand app might be aimed at the slightly less professional, less knowledgeable user who wants a simple solution to create "room spaces".

• edited September 2021

@Simon said:

That's if you know about IMPULSation. Some people don't. Same with Thafknar. I hadn't heard of either.

And the App store blurb for both IMPULSation and Thafknar talks about reberb but doesn't mention "rooms". The Klevgrand app might be aimed at the slightly less professional, less knowledgeable user who wants a simple solution to create "room spaces".

I take on board your point here but reverb is by definition a room simulation. Hence why they generally have names like Room, Hall, Club etc, etc. Plate reverbs are a simulation of a room too, but with regards to post late-seventies/early-eighties digital reverb algorithms, Plate reverbs are an emulation of a physical Plate reverb emulation of a room - talk about pop will eat itself, it can be very confusing for artists new to audio production.

It has to be said that I don't consider Klevgränd plugins to be strictly for 'newbies' either. If you want to purchase their everything bundle on the desktop it will set you back $839.99, and if you had built your collection of Klevgränd plugins individually, we're talking an outlay of $1484.67 (this is hardly a hobbyist financial outlay). The Klevgränd micro-payment business model will soon catch up with you in the long run and you'll end up paying far more than you would on 'pro' plugin suites that are far more capable and flexible.

• @jonmoore said:
    I take on board your point here but reverb is by definition a room simulation. Hence why they generally have names like Room, Hall, Club etc, etc. Plate reverbs are a simulation of a room too, but with regards to post late-seventies/early-eighties digital reverb algorithms, Plate reverbs are an emulation of a physical Plate reverb emulation of a room - talk about pop will eat itself, it can be very confusing for artists new to audio production.

I don't think you get my point. My point is not anything to do with the technical aspect of reverb being part of audio room simulation. My point has to do with marketing and use of advertising words.

Rum's App Store description clearly talks about types of room - the others do not.

The app is actually called "Rum - Room simulator"... not "IMPULSation - AUv3 Convolution Reverb" or "Thafknar - Convolution Reverb".

The newbie, not having your knowledge, may well opt for the app that clearly states "rooms" over other apps that don't even mention it.

• @Simon said:

The newbie, not having your knowledge, may well opt for the app that clearly states "rooms" over other apps that don't even mention it.

Well, the newbie would do well to research what they're buying before they find their wallet light and their purchases even lighter in terms of their capabilities.

• @jonmoore said:
    Well, the newbie would do well to research what they're buying before they find their wallet light and their purchases even lighter in terms of their capabilities.

I'll send them to you :smiley:

• edited September 2021

@Simon said:

I'll send them to you :smiley:

Please do. :)

For the record, IMPULSation is no more complicated than Rum, it's just that it ships with hundreds of high-quality IR's that range from Lexicon, EMT and Roland hardware modules to a wide selection of IR's from real spaces. They're very close to each other in terms of price, so it's simply a case that IMPULSation gives you more for your money. It's obviously nowhere near as well marketed as RUM, and it features a graphic design treatment that isn't poor but is little more than a purely functional design.

• @Simon said:
    I don't think you get my point. My point is not anything to do with the technical aspect of reverb being part of audio room simulation. My point has to do with marketing and use of advertising words.

Rum's App Store description clearly talks about types of room - the others do not.

The app is actually called "Rum - Room simulator"... not "IMPULSation - AUv3 Convolution Reverb" or "Thafknar - Convolution Reverb".

The funny thing is that Thafknar is the app formerly known as "Rooms!". That name was a really bad choice, and to rename it was the best decision ever.

I agree that the description in the app store could be improved. In an earlier version it mentioned cabinet simulations. Seems that got lost at some point.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

Article dealing with why this app was created. This is something I was curious about from the first time I saw it. I can't say I agree fully with the logic, but at least it fills in that nagging question in my mind.

https://klevgrand.se/stories/it’s-all-about-the-workflow

• @wim said:
    Article dealing with why this app was created. This is something I was curious about from the first time I saw it. I can't say I agree fully with the logic, but at least it fills in that nagging question in my mind.

https://klevgrand.se/stories/it’s-all-about-the-workflow

Interesting.

I like the detail they went to: "Correct placement of folded lawn chairs and plastic mini-bikes was crucial." LOL

• Bit of a rare miss for me.

• I got it to simulate overhead mics quickly without much fuss - instead of the more expensive MicSwap pro.

• How CPU friendly is Rum actually? If it’s lightweight it might be a good Stereo imaging tool for mono audio.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@jacou said:
    How CPU friendly is Rum actually? If it’s lightweight it might be a good Stereo imaging tool for mono audio.

It uses convolution of impulse response files. I’m willing to bet its way more CPU intensive than a simple stereo imager which only has to pan left and right with a small delay on either side. There are plenty of those around.