Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patchbox OS and Pisound

I've been trying to get hold of some dev boards and IC's for a few months now and this global IC shortage is getting really annoying. I've got multiple projects held up for months now with what looks like months to go still before anything is in stock. I need the Raspberry Pi Compute module for example and it looks they won't be in stock until Q2 of 2022.

But, it does look like the Pisound boards may be coming back in stock so I was wondering if anyone has used them and Patchbox OS and what you think of it. I'd like to base a project that I have in mind for using iOS to control audio stuff on a mobile system and I'm wondering how difficult it is to setup the Pisound system and get going for people who don't have much Linux experience.

Comments

• edited September 13

Pisound with Patchbox is a set and forget minimal friction os. The forum support is decent too.

• edited September 13

True, it’s really a nightmare now. For my current DIY project, a controller for Model D, I had to order at 5 different shops to get all the parts. And this is just a Teensy board with a lot of knobs and buttons.

I really would like to build a fates device, which is a DIY Norns based on a RasPi plus a custom PCB board. Really cool project but probably a tough time to do that now. https://github.com/okyeron/fates

• @krassmann you’d have to make the PCB yourself as Okyeron isn’t selling them anymore. If you see them on Reverb they’re likely fakes. If you want a DIY kit get the original Monome kit.

(can confirm as I bought one of the last boards from him last year)

• @audiblevideo said:
    Pisound with Patchbox is a set and forget minimal friction os. The forum support is decent too.

That sounds promising. Thanks for the info. I'll order one of the boards when they come in stock then. I've got a Pi 4 already that I can use, so at least that shortage won't hold things back to start with.

• @krassmann said:
    True, it’s really a nightmare now. For my current DIY project, a controller for Model D, I had to order at 5 different shops to get all the parts. And this is just a Teensy board with a lot of knobs and buttons.

I really would like to build a fates device, which is a DIY Norns based on a RasPi plus a custom PCB board. Really cool project but probably a tough time to do that now. https://github.com/okyeron/fates

The codec for the Fates project is at least still in stock at Mouser. I wonder how long it will be though since it is one of the Wolfsen devices from before they were bought by Cirrus Logic. I couldn't find the schematic or the Gerbers for the project. Was it an open hardware thing? Unfortunate if not because you could get them made at OSHpark or someplace similar if they were.

It did say in the readme for the Fates project that it would work with PatchboxOS too. Maybe you could get that running on a Pi and then get the physical UI parts for the Norns going there too.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@krassmann said:

The codec for the Fates project is at least still in stock at Mouser. I wonder how long it will be though since it is one of the Wolfsen devices from before they were bought by Cirrus Logic. I couldn't find the schematic or the Gerbers for the project. Was it an open hardware thing? Unfortunate if not because you could get them made at OSHpark or someplace similar if they were.

It did say in the readme for the Fates project that it would work with PatchboxOS too. Maybe you could get that running on a Pi and then get the physical UI parts for the Norns going there too.

I think it was meant to be open hardware. The schematics are in Adobe Illustrator format. There are ways to convert them to Gerbers but I never did that and this makes quite difficult for me.

• @krassmann said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@krassmann said:

I think it was meant to be open hardware. The schematics are in Adobe Illustrator format. There are ways to convert them to Gerbers but I never did that and this makes quite difficult for me.

It'd be quite a bit of work to do and then the board might not be right and would need some rounds of debugging. Probably easier to get it working with PatchboxOS if that does really look viable. If they get the I/O boards in stock soon, I'll do some playing around and see how hard it is to get some more physical controls hooked up.

• @krassmann the https://llllllll.co/ forum is even friendlier (and more knowledgeable - at least regarding monome) than here. You could poke around there and see if you could get parts for your Norns etc.