Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Who is Drambo for? Who is it not for?

Comments

• edited September 2021

@supadom said:

@tahiche said:

@supadom said:
    Had this jam last night.
    80% Drambo!

You da man!
    Where is Drambo in they performance?. What is it doing?. Are you maybe controlling Drambo with the Novation whatever?. Would love to know. 🙌

Thanks!

All the sounds you hear apart from Samplr’s come from Drambo. I use Novation Circuit Tracks as a midi controller alongside launch control XL.

There’s no sound coming from Circuit Tracks but you can hear a bit of Turnado on the Samplr.

It sounds amazing. I can't wait to try it! The "no morph" version still does not open for me.

Also, great track. I like how you used some kind of delay/shimmer to turn Samplr's repeating percussive sound into an echoing strings sound.

• @supadom said:
    Had this jam last night.
    80% Drambo!

I bought samplr (it’s on sale) after seeing this video. What an amazing app it is. Sometimes less is more, and I love that it’s designed for the touch interface as opposed to calling for external controls. That’s something you can’t do with drambo, but as this video shows they can be seamlessly integrated. Fantastic.

• edited September 2021

@dvi @Skyblazer
    Thanks!

Stopping and thinking about it for once I’m realising that I’m basically using each software and hardware element to their strength. The software I use is all super cpu efficient and generally safe.

Samplr: an excellent screen interaction instrument, always in the foreground

Drambo: a sound design playground and sequencer

Turnado: an effect mangling powerhouse

Novation Circuit: scales input surface, multitrack controller

Bop Pad: a percussion controller

Loopy: audio looping

Launch control XL: bang for the buck faders and knobs galore.

All of the elements have passed stringent vetting and elimination procedures over the past 10 years and they’re all certified indispensable ;)*

*until further notice 😂

Edit:
    Honourable mentions:
    TB equaliser
    TC Helicon VoiceRackFx
    4pockets noise gate

• Here's a patch from @rs2000

https://patchstorage.com/continualike-wave-shaping-oscillator/

The commenter had this to say in appreciation.

"This isn’t just like Continua, it’s WAY BETTER!

My search for a proper wavetable synth is over! "

• edited September 2021

@supadom said:
    @dvi @Skyblazer
    Thanks!

Stopping and thinking about it for once I’m realising that I’m basically using each software and hardware element to their strength. The software I use is all super cpu efficient and generally safe.

Samplr: an excellent screen interaction instrument, always in the foreground

Drambo: a sound design playground and sequencer

Turnado: an effect mangling powerhouse

Novation Circuit: scales input surface, multitrack controller

Bop Pad: a percussion controller

Loopy: audio looping

Launch control XL: bang for the buck faders and knobs galore.

All of the elements have passed stringent vetting and elimination procedures over the past 10 years and they’re all certified indispensable ;)*

Muchas gracias for your list! Great to hear about the tools that have become true physical instruments.

So does Novation Circuit launch clips for you? (Assuming you launch clips.) I've flirted with the idea of MPC hardware, gear, or workflow, so I ask.

Thx,
    Joe

• Hmmmm. maybe "Launch Control XL" does your clip launching. :neutral:

• @joegrant413 said:
    Hmmmm. maybe "Launch Control XL" does your clip launching. :neutral:

I don’t use clips. I normally play and record stuff on the fly. You could easily use it as a clip launcher though by assigning a flexi sampler to each of the individual pads through midi note filter module.

I think there is a clip launcher patch made by rs2000 on patchstorage but I’m not entirely sure how it is built.

• Got it, thanks.

• @supadom said:

@tahiche said:

@supadom said:
    Had this jam last night.
    80% Drambo!

You da man!
    Where is Drambo in they performance?. What is it doing?. Are you maybe controlling Drambo with the Novation whatever?. Would love to know. 🙌

Thanks!

All the sounds you hear apart from Samplr’s come from Drambo. I use Novation Circuit Tracks as a midi controller alongside launch control XL.

There’s no sound coming from Circuit Tracks but you can hear a bit of Turnado on the Samplr.

I need details!!! 😬
    What are you using for recording loops?. A Flexi, a recorder module?. Is it midi mapped to rev and then auto start?.

• edited September 2021

@tahiche said:

@supadom said:

@tahiche said:

@supadom said:
    Had this jam last night.
    80% Drambo!

You da man!

Thanks!

I need details!!! 😬
    What are you using for recording loops?. A Flexi, a recorder module?. Is it midi mapped to rev and then auto start?.

Ok, so audio loops is all loopy. I’ve been using it forever and really like the way it works even if it’s an IAA app. I have it mapped to a few buttons on LCXL and also on a foot pedal that I use when I play guitar. Currently there is no dedicated audio looper in Drambo but I know there is a working version of it already built but still in alpha stage of development. I’ll be working on it with Giku hopefully as soon as the next version is out which I suspect could be in the next few weeks. There is an audio looper in patch storage but I didn’t quite click with it and as long as loopy works I’m not too keen to dedicate brain power to find other solutions.

Midi looping is all in Drambo.

If you have any more questions fire away though ;)

• I confess .... I never grokked Loopy well enough. Samplr either. Doesn't mean I shouldn't. It shouldn't be rocket science, but too much of the low-level interaction is hidden for my scant memory banks to recall.

• @supadom I totally wanna be like you when I grow up.
    That was awesome - as always. 👍🏼

• "Who is Drambo for? Who is it not for?"

Well, not for me. But my situation is uncommon. I use the iPad to extend my live keyboard rig. I did like some of the voices in Drambo, but ended up using more "live performance friendly" substitutes, e.g. real SWAM instruments, etc.

Once I got into the modulations, I wanted to control them via external midi. That wasn't hard, but then I wanted to go after response curves, etc. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze, so I went in another direction.

That being said, I think it's wonderful for someone who isn't as heavily invested in real keyboards as I am.

• @cphollis said:
    "Who is Drambo for? Who is it not for?"

Well, not for me. But my situation is uncommon. I use the iPad to extend my live keyboard rig. I did like some of the voices in Drambo, but ended up using more "live performance friendly" substitutes, e.g. real SWAM instruments, etc.

Once I got into the modulations, I wanted to control them via external midi. That wasn't hard, but then I wanted to go after response curves, etc. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze, so I went in another direction.

That being said, I think it's wonderful for someone who isn't as heavily invested in real keyboards as I am.

Indeed, picking the most straightforward tool for the job can be relieving - if it's available, that is 😉

• I recently discovered how easy it is to map things (like my Launchpad Pro MK3) to anything in Drambo. This comes in so handy while recording visuals on the screen, having complete control of everything in the background.

I’ve been trying to imagine how this could get any better with the upcoming update.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    I recently discovered how easy it is to map things (like my Launchpad Pro MK3) to anything in Drambo. This comes in so handy while recording visuals on the screen, having complete control of everything in the background.

I’ve been trying to imagine how this could get any better with the upcoming update.

Agreed, I think it's fair to say that Drambo has the best MIDI learn implementation and it's one of the very few apps that support rotary encoders and bluetooth keyboards.

• edited September 2021

@rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    I recently discovered how easy it is to map things (like my Launchpad Pro MK3) to anything in Drambo. This comes in so handy while recording visuals on the screen, having complete control of everything in the background.

Agreed, I think it's fair to say that Drambo has the best MIDI learn implementation and it's one of the very few apps that support rotary encoders and bluetooth keyboards.

any way it can do pickup (or takeover its called sometimes) on stuff like pots and faders? havent looked too hard, but couldnt find that it works

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

any way it can do pickup (or takeover its called sometimes) on stuff like pots and faders? havent looked too hard, but couldnt find that it works

What a coincidence. I was just looking for that too. Super important, and I don't see it there unfortunately. I'm hoping I've just overlooked it or that it's in the upcoming big-deal modulation update.

• @wim said:
    @supadom I totally wanna be like you when I grow up.
    That was awesome - as always. 👍🏼

Thanks!

Hey, you don’t need to wait till you grow up, I’ve asked Margaret to commence the cloning sequence.

Seriously though. I’m living in my music studio atm because we’re having a break with my better half which in theory gives me the license to make noise into the night. I just need to convince my brain that there’s no iPads in the afterlife and that the time is now!

• I still like the name more than anything.

• @supadom Currently there is no dedicated audio looper in Drambo but I know there is a working version of it already built but still in alpha stage of development. I’ll be working on it with Giku hopefully as soon as the next version is out which I suspect could be in the next few weeks.

Good info! ☝️. Does this mean the audio looper will not be available in this next release but soon after?. As things go, audio looping will probably coincide with Loopy HD, but I guess the more the merrier!.

IMO there’s a couple of things that could greatly expand Drambo’s user base and make it a superb alternative to DAWs.

• Audio looper and clip launcher with timestreching.
    • A dedicated drum module. Currently it can do it all and more, but it’s too much work to set up for a casual plug n play.
    • Piano roll editing.
      With the audio looper and launcher I could see an only Drambo workflow where you’d have a project ready with drums, synths, effects and audio tracks. All pre-mapped to a hardware controller. I’d love that. Drambo is a beast.
  • edited September 2021

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

What a coincidence. I was just looking for that too. Super important, and I don't see it there unfortunately. I'm hoping I've just overlooked it or that it's in the upcoming big-deal modulation update.

Not sure if we’re talking about the same...
    Hamburger menu > settings > midi mapping

edit: should be in the App Store version.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

Thanks! Yep it’s there. I was looking in the midi map dialog where you can set if it’s a continuous or absolute, etc. controller. I didn’t expect it to be anywhere else.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

Not working as expected...works same way weher enabled or not. Still value jumps.

Vid here shows the same pot on 2 different banks on a launchcontrolxl:
    https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/606356941

• @wim said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

Thanks! Yep it’s there. I was looking in the midi map dialog where you can set if it’s a continuous or absolute, etc. controller. I didn’t expect it to be anywhere else.

This is because these are global midi settings.

• @supadom said:

I just need to convince my brain that there’s no iPads in the afterlife and that the time is now!

This is it.

• Drambo is for anyone needing to get a groove on:

• @supadom said:

@wim said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

@wim said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

This is because these are global midi settings.

So does this setting convert Relative to Absolute? Is there some other setting that needs to go with it?

• @echoopera said:
    Drambo is for anyone needing to get a groove on:

Oh wow, it never occurred to me that we can save Audio Units as “presets” instruments!

Nice jam btw!

• edited September 2021

Oh wow, it never occurred to me that we can save Audio Units as “presets” instruments!

Nice jam btw!

OH yeah! Only way to roll in Drambo ;) Racks of all kinds are your friends in the DEEE!