Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Event, September 14 2021

Comments

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Well....since the A14 in the air and the M1 were soooo close in single core for audio..

...does this mean the a15 is going to outperform the m1 for audio?
    Feel like ya got suckered yet for that m1? :p

No.

There are no specifics on the new cores in the A15 at this point, but it is very doubtful that there will be much uplift in the IPC over the A14/M1. The A15 will be very good for audio applications in the Air and now the Mini and will probably be better for certain specific audio applications than the Pro, but that is pretty typical because of the release cycle timing.

The advantage of the M1 in the Pro is longevity. The last iPad I bought was the original Pro. I'm pretty sure that the M1 in the new iPad will last me just as long and serve its purpose of being the baseline product that new OS features will need to target.

The new Mini does look like a pretty good device for audio use. It'll be some pretty good competition for whatever comes in the new Air when it is released. It'll be interesting to see what the Air gets as a CPU/GPU.

• That’s nothing. Ever since the very first Macintosh, the on-screen pointer consists of an arrow pointing away backwards over your shoulder instead of actually pointing at the thing you want to click.

• edited September 2021

@NeonSilicon said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Well....since the A14 in the air and the M1 were soooo close in single core for audio..

No.

There are no specifics on the new cores in the A15 at this point, but it is very doubtful that there will be much uplift in the IPC over the A14/M1. The A15 will be very good for audio applications in the Air and now the Mini and will probably be better for certain specific audio applications than the Pro, but that is pretty typical because of the release cycle timing.

The advantage of the M1 in the Pro is longevity. The last iPad I bought was the original Pro. I'm pretty sure that the M1 in the new iPad will last me just as long and serve its purpose of being the baseline product that new OS features will need to target.

The new Mini does look like a pretty good device for audio use. It'll be some pretty good competition for whatever comes in the new Air when it is released. It'll be interesting to see what the Air gets as a CPU/GPU.

Im not buying the longevity thing. You'll need to update at the same rate as always.
    The old pro was just a normal A series as well and it lasted you that long. Penty of people here using an Air 2.
    I don't think the m1 itself lends itself to a longer time between upgrades.

They also discussed the cpu at the event. its the same as the iPhone 13
    https://venturebeat.com/2021/09/14/apples-iphone-13-features-a15-bionic-processor-with-15b-transistors/

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

No.

Im not buying the longevity thing. You'll need to update at the same rate as always.
    The old pro was just a normal A series as well and it lasted you that long. Penty of people here using an Air 2.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/09/14/apples-iphone-13-features-a15-bionic-processor-with-15b-transistors/

The point of the longevity is that the Pro is the device that Apple uses as the platform for developers to get hands on with the new tech before it rolls down to the other devices. It has been this way since the release of the first Pro. Take LIDAR and the basis of AR as an example in the original Pro. In the case of the new Pro, it is things like Thunderbolt, XDR, four performance cores, greater AI capabilities.

They really didn't discuss the CPU at this event at all. Notice that the comparisons for performance of the new CPU/cores was against the competition and not the previous gen cores. They didn't call out any particulars of the new gen of performance cores, GPU's, or AI stuff versus the current gen. Nothing is really known at this point, but I don't expect much in the way of performance gains.

The new iPads that were announced look good and are a good bump for audio work. It wil be intteresting to see what comes in the new Air.

• @Simon said:

@pedro said:
    Thanks for the headsup but the upgrade asks for 3.5Gb I don’t have free. It’s an air 2, should I worry? I’m on 14.4. Do I make an effort?

I think I read on the Forum that 14.8 "only" contains an important security update. So, how secure do you feel? It's up to you.

Since I’ve updated to 14.8 I feel secure enough to stop wearing underwear to work. Still have to wear a mask tho…

• edited September 2021

@NeonSilicon said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

No.

The point of the longevity is that the Pro is the device that Apple uses as the platform for developers to get hands on with the new tech before it rolls down to the other devices. It has been this way since the release of the first Pro. Take LIDAR and the basis of AR as an example in the original Pro. In the case of the new Pro, it is things like Thunderbolt, XDR, four performance cores, greater AI capabilities.

They really didn't discuss the CPU at this event at all. Notice that the comparisons for performance of the new CPU/cores was against the competition and not the previous gen cores. They didn't call out any particulars of the new gen of performance cores, GPU's, or AI stuff versus the current gen. Nothing is really known at this point, but I don't expect much in the way of performance gains.

The new iPads that were announced look good and are a good bump for audio work. It wil be intteresting to see what comes in the new Air.

Yeah, they didnt say much more than the increased core count (and not by much).
    I'm not expecting a night and day difference in performance either over my mini 5. It was all about usbC for me.
    [Moderator edit]

• It’s funny. I have a deal with my network provider to be able to upgrade my phone every 12 months without having to pay off the contract (you have to swap your old hardware for the new) but I invariably wait for the second year to come and that way I keep my old hardware. It’s a really good way to check yourself in terms of 'do I really need this latest upgrade?'. Right now I’m perfectly happy with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and have no desire for the 13. The iPad Mini 6 however is a massive upgrade from the 5. Supper fast and Pencil 2 compatibility swings it for me.

An iPad Mini has always been about portability for me. In terms of iOS music production, I can see myself using the Mini 6 as a solus device much as I do with my 12.9inch M1 iPad Pro (getting multiple USB C devices to work via Studiomux is the issue here). A selection of my older iOS devices (those that haven’t ended up as hand-me-downs) are rigged up semi-permanently via a powered USB 3 hub to a laptop running Ableton for sequencing and I stream the audio in via Studiomux. The oldest devices are an iPhone XR and a 6th gen iPad (both running A10 Fusions). Three of the devices are rigged permanently and my iPhone 12 Pro Max is rigged up when I use the system. I don’t use any plugin synths/samplers in Ableton and strictly use it for sequencing, fx and mastering. Everything runs low latency via a USB C soundcard and those four iOS devices can run a greater number of sound sources than the laptop alone.

I have my studio setup at home and this little cocktail of devices is supposedly my bring around the house solution but it's permanently rigged up in the conservatory where I tend to go to get away from the world. It's actually quite nice to have a relaxing space to create. Every time I go in the studio I feel like I'm clocking on for work!

Anyway, the reason to go into so much detail on this was that someone said they didn't understand why so many Apple loyalists upgrade their devices on a regular basis. And outside of the hand-me down aspect of iDevice ownership, for me, it's the ability of older iDevices to be utilised in creative manners, way beyond their 'sell-by-date'. And much of that isn't down to Apple, it's down to the wonderfully innovative iOS developer community who create apps that stay the test of time and continue to run relatively efficiently on older hardware. e.g. Any of the Iceworks apps can run quite happily with multiple instances on my older devices, and on the basis, I think of each iDevice as an old school multi-timbral sound module.

Ref iPad Pro's, I agree you can generally bank on 24 months before an upgrade feels essential; and for most normal folk, that's more like 3-4 years.

• The new mini apparently has 4 Gigs. The new base iPad has 3…

• The iPad Mini, always been a fantastic device, definitely my favorite screen with the 326ppi it is so crisp and detailed.

Nice to see it get top-of-line treatment with the latest Pencil support and latest processor. Pricing goes up a notch also… but I’m glad Apple seem to be treating it as a premium device rather than the low-end budget device. (I guess that’s what the new iPad 9th gen is for)

• @Hmtx said:
    The iPad Mini, always been a fantastic device, definitely my favorite screen with the 326ppi it is so crisp and detailed.

Nice to see it get top-of-line treatment with the latest Pencil support and latest processor. Pricing goes up a notch also… but I’m glad Apple seem to be treating it as a premium device rather than the low-end budget device. (I guess that’s what the new iPad 9th gen is for)

I'm with you on this. I think the iPad Mini 5 was a step in the right direction but was let down by a lack of RAM. If the 6 has 4Gb as advertised, that's another step in the right direction.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Since I’ve updated to 14.8 I feel secure enough to stop wearing underwear to work. Still have to wear a mask tho…

If you wear your underpants on your head people will keep their distance - better COVID protection! :smiley:

• edited September 2021

@gregsmith said:
    I mean which moron signed this off? :

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/uf/5cc16m4fjhkj.jpeg

A moron called Joney Ive. He's done incredible stuff but the "charge port in the base" is not his greatest design concept.

Same with his design for the first iMac mouse. It looked great but it was totally round so you could never position it squarely in your hand and when you moved it the pointer jumped all over the screen.

He's not good with rodents.

• hi folks. i have a gen 1 ipad pro with A9x cpu & 4gb ram that is marginal for my current use. the new gen 9 ipad with A13 cpu & 3gb ram(?) looks about 2x faster for $330. an ipaid air, A14 & 4gb ram is currently $500 at costco, and about 1.2x the speed of the gen 9 ipad. so 50% more $ for the air gets 20% better performance. this would be an economy upgrade, so i'm inclined to get the cheaper ipad. but, will 1gb less ram make a significant difference for music apps particularly? i don't use ram heavy apps like samplers. but i've wondered if there's a ram limit for complex rigs with lots of cpu heavy fx? tia! /dan

• Surely someone at Apple looked at a Qi-styled recharging mouse pad?

• @bangzero said:
    hi folks. i have a gen 1 ipad pro with A9x cpu & 4gb ram that is marginal for my current use. the new gen 9 ipad with A13 cpu & 3gb ram(?) looks about 2x faster for $330. an ipaid air, A14 & 4gb ram is currently $500 at costco, and about 1.2x the speed of the gen 9 ipad. so 50% more $ for the air gets 20% better performance. this would be an economy upgrade, so i'm inclined to get the cheaper ipad. but, will 1gb less ram make a significant difference for music apps particularly? i don't use ram heavy apps like samplers. but i've wondered if there's a ram limit for complex rigs with lots of cpu heavy fx? tia! /dan

You want the faster processor

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    You want the faster processor.

for my purposes & budget i don't want a 20% faster processor for $170 more. but is 1gb less ram a problem?

• @bangzero said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    You want the faster processor.

for my purposes & budget i don't want a 20% faster processor for $170 more. but is 1gb less ram a problem?

nope. a lot of people here are rocking 3gb or less of RAM.

• edited September 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@bangzero said:
    [...] but is 1gb less ram a problem?

nope. a lot of people here are rocking 3gb or less of RAM.

thanks AA. good to know.

• @michael_m said:

Even more classic! :smile:

• The wheels are not included, they come as a dongle... Apple will claim they are getting ready for maglev, which of course they will claim to be their own original idea :)

• @richardyot said:
    Also that slower aperture on the telephoto lens could come with some gotchas in low light. I know for a fact that on my 12 Pro Max the phone will secretly use the regular wide lens when you select the telephoto in low light (and then just upres in software). You can tell because the images come out all watercolor processed looking. To avoid this you have to use one of the paid camera apps that actually let you select the lens properly.

Ouch, that is feeble.

• edited September 2021

@ervin said:

@richardyot said:
    Also that slower aperture on the telephoto lens could come with some gotchas in low light. I know for a fact that on my 12 Pro Max the phone will secretly use the regular wide lens when you select the telephoto in low light (and then just upres in software). You can tell because the images come out all watercolor processed looking. To avoid this you have to use one of the paid camera apps that actually let you select the lens properly.

Ouch, that is feeble.

Yes the first time I noticed (the image quality was terrible) I was like wtf is this? But it's been noticed by others as well:

https://forums.imore.com/iphone-12/438819-i-m-noticing-2-5x-photo-isn-t-using-telephoto-lens.html

And of course this might be even worse on the 13 Pro because the telephoto lens is now F2.8 instead of F2.2 on the 12, so the new lens is letting in a lot less light to start with (the 12 is two-thirds of a stop brighter, so it lets in 75% more light than the 13).

• @0tolerance4silence said:

The wheels are not included, they come as a dongle... Apple will claim they are getting ready for maglev, which of course they will claim to be their own original idea :)

It also costs twice as much if you want to use the storage space in the boot😊

• edited September 2021

"Both the iPhone 13 and the new iPad mini are equipped with Apple's latest A15 Bionic chip, but benchmark results reveal that the chip is downclocked to 2.9GHz in the iPad mini, compared to 3.2GHz in all iPhone 13 models."

"Apple this week debuted the sixth-generation iPad mini, cellular models of which can connect to 5G for the first time. However, it's worth noting that cellular connectivity on the new ‌iPad mini‌ does not extend to support for faster mmWave 5G."

Womp Womp. Personally still don't care.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    "Both the iPhone 13 and the new iPad mini are equipped with Apple's latest A15 Bionic chip, but benchmark results reveal that the chip is downclocked to 2.9GHz in the iPad mini, compared to 3.2GHz in all iPhone 13 models."

It's important to point out that Apple is showing strong technical progress here. A few years ago, they were only able to intentionally slow down their older devices behind the user's back, whereas now they can cripple their brand new models as well. 👍