Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Event, September 14 2021

Comments

• It makes sense to keep up to the latest version that works reliably with all the apps you care about. It's a form of future proofing. Over time, libraries and features that developers rely on start to be introduced only on newer versions. As that happens, new apps that support older OS's decrease, and developers begin to drop support updates compatible with them. Security is an aspect too, but honestly (though I've worked on computer security for decades), the threat to my devices, the way I use them, is only of minor concern compared to the above.

What I don't understand is the excitement and eagerness about jumping right on new OS releases. I get no thrill from that at all. If I had a spare device around, I'd take one for the team to help flush out bugs. But that would be the only motivation I'd ever have for updating right off the bat.

• edited September 2021

@Simon said:

@MobileMusic said:
    Or just buy the real hardware - no glitches, no crackles, lasts for 20+ years!

Except most of us are using apps that don't exist in hardware versions - and if they did they would cost a fortune as hardware. Software is inexpensive.

I was referring to the cost of replacing our iPads every 4-5 years (not the cost of apps) that would cost much more than the cost of hardware in 20+ years.

EDIT: I've spent over $4,000 so far on all kinds of high-quality paid apps including kid games in the last 10 years - some of them are abandoned by devs.

• So much whining in this thread. 😂

Shit people, I’m just sitting here having a blast with my apps that each cost less than a burger, on my device that has vastly entertained me several hours a day for over seven years and except for battery battery life and occasional OS screwups that eventually get fixed, works better and better every year … for free. 😎

Y’all be over thinking life people. 😎❤️

————————————————————

@wim somehow always manages to put things into perfect perspective. 😊

I use an ancient iPhone 6 (not even an “s”.)

I’ll be upgrading.

At first I thought I’d save $100 and just purchase a 12, but Apple upped the storage minimum on the 13 from 64 to 128. If you want a 12 with 128, you’ll pay around $50 more — which is about $50 less than the 13.

$50 more for much longer battery life, better cameras and a much faster processor seem more than worth it to me.

Apple does a shitload of things that really piss me off, but this upgrade is not one of them.

• @gregsmith said:
    I’m due a new iPhone this year - always nice to have a faster one to run more apps without crackles, and a battery that lasts longer, but my god, what happened to their designers? Nothing of any real note for years now!

Where’s the folding iPhone with double the screen size? Phone that isn’t made of glass so you don’t need to ruin it with a case anymore? Phone that is also a mini projector? Glasses free 3D screen? I remember when each iPhone was a significant design improvement. Now they just roll out the same slightly faster phone each year 🤷‍♂️

If it wasn’t for the music stuff I’d probably start to look elsewhere.

You're being harsh. I mean sure, the design may have stalled a bit (although they have removed the headphone jack from the ipad mini which I trust we agree is groundbreaking innovation) - but in any case, look at the enormous progress they're making on the software side! I'm sure ios15 will have almost-working widgets, and that's just one of the many advancements.

• The macro photography thing is a bit misleading too IMO. The old phones right up to the iPhone 11 could focus as close as two inches, but when they increased the sensor size for the 12 the main lens lost that ability (which is not surprising, it’s much harder to achieve close focusing distances with a larger sensor).

So now they’ve added close focusing to the ultra-wide (which still has a small sensor), but macro photography on an ultra wide lens is not that useful.

A 13mm lens with a 2cm focusing distance offers very similar magnification to a 26mm lens with a 5 cm focusing distance, so essentially it’s more or less back to where it was with the 11, but with a less useful focal length for macro IMO.

• Ordered a new mini. Usb c was the only factor in the decision. Hopefully not as many of the "too much power" popups and can leave some dongles behind.

• Obviously Apple are constrained by the laws of physics with the cameras. It would have been more useful to add the macro capability to the telephoto lens, but presumably that would have required more glass and a thicker camera bump.

The same goes for the main lens, which has the bigger sensor. The larger sensor is why the phones lost the ability to close focus on the 12, but it was worth it for the improved low light performance, which is more useful for most people. And the low light abilities of these phone cameras is amazingly good, to the point of rivalling DSLRs IMO.

• @ervin said:

@gregsmith said:
    I’m due a new iPhone this year - always nice to have a faster one to run more apps without crackles, and a battery that lasts longer, but my god, what happened to their designers? Nothing of any real note for years now!

Where’s the folding iPhone with double the screen size? Phone that isn’t made of glass so you don’t need to ruin it with a case anymore? Phone that is also a mini projector? Glasses free 3D screen? I remember when each iPhone was a significant design improvement. Now they just roll out the same slightly faster phone each year 🤷‍♂️

You're being harsh. I mean sure, the design may have stalled a bit (although they have removed the headphone jack from the ipad mini which I trust we agree is groundbreaking innovation) - but in any case, look at the enormous progress they're making on the software side! I'm sure ios15 will have almost-working widgets, and that's just one of the many advancements.

😂 Who knows, they might even fix that bug where you have to turn the phone on and off sometimes before you can use audio units!

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@gregsmith said:

@ervin said:

@gregsmith said:

😂 Who knows, they might even fix that bug where you have to turn the phone on and off sometimes before you can use audio units!

C'mon dude, it's only been like what a year and a half? Give them some time. Sheesh.
    Why all the fuss about a few missing Audio Units. You should be celebrating the Files App getting to be almost kind of close to being somewhat not completely worse than Windows 95.

• Bagged the basic Mini for the couch and for travelling as the Air 4/256 is a bit bulky at times. I can also use the Pencil 2 with it which is a bonus.

Thought long and hard about 64 vs 256GB and in the end went for the 64 as I can the big keep hitters on the Air and will use the leftover change for the Applecare.

The announcement got a bit repetitive for me, and by the end I was sick of hearing the word “durable”. I also sometimes felt there was a blurring between what was new in the new tech and what was new in the OS which left me questioning whether feature X was something I would only see in the new hardware or it was something that was going to be available to both the new and old hardware.

Did anyone see the guy playing with GarageBand on the escalator?

• (Insert joke about step sequencers?)

• @wim said:
    (Insert joke about step sequencers?)

Very good :smile:

• The iPad mini will be faster than an M1 Mac for most tasks. It’s going to be a great iPad for audio.

It might have been a fairly boring event but the products look really good. Just no lasers.

The mini has an A15 which is basically most of an M2 (or M1X whatever they call it). Single core performance of the new iPhone and iPad mini will be a good indicator of the performance of the next “M” chip.

It’s anybody’s guess at this stage what the A15 series M chips will be called and what Apple will call the more powerful chips needed for the “Pro” Macs.

Coincidentally you’ve gotta love the genius marketing from Apple around the M1. Even many tech minded people on this forum think the iPad got a Mac chip when the opposite is true.

• @wim said:

@gregsmith said:

@ervin said:

@gregsmith said:

C'mon dude, it's only been like what a year and a half? Give them some time. Sheesh.
    Why all the fuss about a few missing Audio Units. You should be celebrating the Files App getting to be almost kind of close to being somewhat not completely worse than Windows 95.

In other news, it's actually reassuring to see the non-fanboi section properly represented in the forum. 👊

• I was waiting for the series 7 watch
    The renders I had seen with the square edges looked super cool
    Then I saw the released version, still rounded edges
    I think I might just buy the series 6
    Damn apple
    Waited nearly 6 months, oh well

• Wish the iPad mini had 1TB cfg. Can’t really see myself using 256GB anymore.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I'm curious to know what do Apple have right now in reserve. Do they already have the iPhone 14 ready to be announce in 6 months? Do they already have the M2 chip in the closet for the summer of 2022?

The incremental of the speed of their processors is tighter than my old watch. It's impossible not to be staged or controlled.

If their were selling the new thing, the new thing would not always be just a little bit better than the previous version.

There was an iPhone 14 ‘leak’ the other week. Supposedly, they're going to get rid of the screen notch and the camera bump, and it’ll be housed in a titanium body that’ll be a bit thicker than the 13, but flat. All of which sounds good to me, even if it is a year off. I can't be sure that it's not a successful fake leak, because you can’t really check up on these things (I couldn't find anything about it on Snopes - how could anybody verify Apple’s internal plans anyway?) but it did get a lot of attention from many varied sources about a week ago (just google if you’re curious).

I’d wait longer if I could, but my 1st gen SE has unresponsive strips down both sides of the screen, holds its charge for less than a day and it gets very hot, so I can't wait. Might get a temporary phone to tide me over, or dial it back to a 12 for the headphone jack, or just go for a new SE.

As for the 13, ProMotion looks great for the UX. There’ll be no going back from that, I’m sure. Plus the new processor, longer battery life etc. The low-light photos impressed me, but all of those interminable 'cinematic mode' dramatic zooming shots did not. Very surprised that's flagship tech from Apple. I thought it looked shit. The fake focus snap-zoom effect, I mean, not the impressive camera.

Anyway, I still love Kathryn Bigelow, and I thought her bit was ok (and that cinematographer guy too). Meanwhile, Tim Cook still creeps me out, and half of those project leads did too. There’s an uncanny Stepford thing happening in Cupertino.

• edited September 2021

@colonel_mustard said:
    …all of those interminable 'cinematic mode' dramatic zooming shots did not. Very surprised that's flagship tech from Apple. I thought it looked shit. The fake focus snap-zoom effect, I mean, not the impressive camera.

I’m no expert at all in these matters but the focus thing did seem a bit jarring rather than a smooth transition.

• edited September 2021

@ervin said:

@wim said:

@gregsmith said:

@ervin said:

@gregsmith said:

In other news, it's actually reassuring to see the non-fanboi section properly represented in the forum. 👊

Haha unfortunately Apple have me by the balls. I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone Pro, iPad Pro, Airpod Pros all through my business (creative agency). I fully realise I’m being mugged off repeatedly for thousands and thousands of pounds, but for some reason I allow it to happen 🤷‍♂️

In seriousness it’s obviously a massive privilege to have all this lovely kit, I just miss the excitement of world-leading design innovation in the Steve Jobs days.

I mean which moron signed this off? :

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/uf/5cc16m4fjhkj.jpeg

• edited September 2021

Looks pretty innovative 🤷‍♂️
    edit: oh wait, though it’s the deadmau5 edition...

• @gregsmith said:

In seriousness it’s obviously a massive privilege to have all this lovely kit, I just miss the excitement of world-leading design innovation in the Steve Jobs days.

A classic case of form not following function! But Apple are repeat offenders when it comes to the design of mice.

• @gregsmith said:

@ervin said:

@wim said:

@gregsmith said:

@ervin said:

@gregsmith said:

Haha unfortunately Apple have me by the balls. I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone Pro, iPad Pro, Airpod Pros all through my business (creative agency). I fully realise I’m being mugged off repeatedly for thousands and thousands of pounds, but for some reason I allow it to happen 🤷‍♂️

That “design” got people talking. Ever see any discussion about a Dell mouse ? 🙂

• In the past I would always upgrade my Apple hardware every year. By selling my previous gen iPhone it was often the same price or only slightly more than waiting 3 years to upgrade. Why not be on the latest version of everything if it’s not going to cost you more? Depends on your used market too, we have a lot of people here in Seattle who buy used Apple stuff to ship overseas for pretty high prices.

I’ll be passing this year though most likely. Had I not just bought a new full frame camera a couple months ago, I think the camera stuff would be more appealing and worth it for me.

• Well the camera stuff just isn't that big a deal from what I can see. In the keynote they called it "the biggest camera upgrade ever" but really it's just this:

• A slightly bigger sensor on the main camera
    • A slightly longer focal length on the telephoto
    • Macro ability on super-wide lens
    • Night Mode on the telephoto lens
    • A faster aperture on the ultra wide lens (but a slower one on the telephoto)
    • Cinematic mode for focus-pull effects
    • Photographic Styles
    • ProRes support

All of which are nice, and it's definitely going to be an improvement over the 12 Pro, but not as big a deal as some past improvements. I think iPhone 7, X and 12 all gave much bigger improvements to the camera system.

ProRes support is probably the most significant for those who want to shoot serious video stuff.

• Also that slower aperture on the telephoto lens could come with some gotchas in low light. I know for a fact that on my 12 Pro Max the phone will secretly use the regular wide lens when you select the telephoto in low light (and then just upres in software). You can tell because the images come out all watercolor processed looking. To avoid this you have to use one of the paid camera apps that actually let you select the lens properly.

• Halide for win!

• It's nice to have a decent camera on your phone when you don't have a decent camera with you, but I'm always going to choose a proper camera over an iphone when I have the choice (although as a B camera it's good)
    Just a shame that iphone still isn't USB-C as this makes it much less useful as a pro camera, or monitor.

• @Tarekith said:
    In the past I would always upgrade my Apple hardware every year. By selling my previous gen iPhone it was often the same price or only slightly more than waiting 3 years to upgrade. Why not be on the latest version of everything if it’s not going to cost you more? Depends on your used market too, we have a lot of people here in Seattle who buy used Apple stuff to ship overseas for pretty high prices.

I’ll be passing this year though most likely. Had I not just bought a new full frame camera a couple months ago, I think the camera stuff would be more appealing and worth it for me.

Buying a new device every year is a bit silly unless you get it through work or at a super discounted price. When it comes to performance my pro 10.5 can do all I need it to and pro 11 2020 has a plenty of cpu/ram room to spare.

Of course there will be people trying to run 10 instances of model 15 @128 just to prove a point but to me, at this point in time there’s no reason to upgrade. Perhaps only if my battery started playing up. Even then I’d probably spend £100 and replace the battery instead of upgrading.

Having said all that, I like the idea of the new mini, it would be interesting to find out how much ram it has under the hood.

• @wim said:
    So much whining in this thread. 😂

Shit people, I’m just sitting here having a blast with my apps that each cost less than a burger, on my device that has vastly entertained me several hours a day for over seven years and except for battery battery life and occasional OS screwups that eventually get fixed, works better and better every year … for free. 😎

Y’all be over thinking life people. 😎❤️

👍

• @gregsmith said:

@ervin said:

@wim said:

@gregsmith said:

@ervin said:

@gregsmith said:

A wireless recharging solution would’ve at least looked smarter than the power cord on the undercarriage reality.