Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CME X-Key 37 - poly aftertouch

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• If it's anything like the Keith McMillen Qu Nexus then you can activate it in the editor software on a computer.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • poly AT is a significant advantage. I like the XKey 37, and it has stood the test of time for several years.

• edited September 2021

How do you map polyphonic aftertouch to a synth (that supports poly-AT) in AUM? Thanks.

Is a Streambyter or Mozaic workaround still required?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38265/auv3-mapping-channel-pressure-or-polyphonic-aftertouch

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

Somewhat OT, but maybe relevant. I just released "Expression Redirector" on patch storage. What it does takes some explanation.

Basically, it takes MPE data (per note Velocity, Aftertouch, Expression (CC 74), Pitch Bend, and Release Velocity) and/or Channel Aftertouch and Note Velocity, and splits it out into CC streams. It's kind of like transmogrifying an MPE (or Channel Aftertouch capable) controller into a huge bank of CC controllers.

The note number becomes the CC number. The value of the expression becomes the CC value. You can, and probably should, set a separate channel for each CC. So, for instance, if MPE is enabled and set to channel 1 and Poly Aftertouch is set to Channel 2, then I press and slide on Note 36, two streams of CC 36 will be sent.

Sigh ... really hard to explain clearly. I suggest just enabling one expression with the output going to a midi monitor. Play some keys and note the CC's flowing through the monitor. Now add another on a different channel and note what you see. Hopefully it'll start to make sense.

I'm kind of excited about this one. It provides the potential for a single MPE controller to control hundreds of synth parameters. With my Sensel Morph basic piano layout and only the MPE "Y" axis enabled I'm looking at 24 CC's of control without even changing octaves on the keyboard. Kudos to @stown for the idea, which I totally didn't get at first. πŸ˜‚

EXPRESSION REDIRECTOR v0.4
    Convert Poly Aftertouch and MPE Controller Output to MIDI CC streams.

• This script can convert all forms of MPE expression, plus Channel Aftertouch into MIDI CC streams.
    • Data from MPE controllers can include Velocity, Channel Pressure, Pitch Bend, Expression (CC 74), and Note Release. (Seabord calls these Strike, Press, Glide, Slide, and Lift). Some other controllers can send Channel Aftertouch.
    • Aftertouch is the pressure on a key after the initial strike. Poly Aftertouch is per-note, Channel Aftertouch is just one value regardless of note. For clarity this program refers to Channel Aftertouch as "Mono Aftertouch"
    • Set each type of message to OFF (🚫) or to a MIDI channel. Each enabled message should be on a separate channel to avoid conflicting streams (or not, if you like some chaos πŸ˜‰). Default is OFF for all streams.
    • The note number becomes the CC number, and the message value becomes the CC value sent. Note 0 becomes CC 0, Note 36 becomes CC 36, etc.
    • NEW❗️: The last two knobs allow you to override the default MIDI CC assignment for each note.
    • Velocity will work from non-MPE sources too. You can use this to send a CC value based on how hard you hit a note.
    • You can also choose whether or not to send out Note ON and Note OFF messages. The default is OFF.

SO! What is this good for? Well, for instance it can enable an MPE controller to send up to 128 MIDI CCs for controlling non-MPE synth parameters from the "Slide" expression (usually sliding up and down on the key). Or a controller that sends Poly Aftertouch can control as many MIDI CC's as there are keys on the device. Even just the AUM keyboard can send up to 128 CC's based on where you strike the key. An MPE controller with Pressure, Pitch Bend, Expression, and Release could in theory control up to 768 parameters!

I dunno - seems like it could come in handy. Credit to Audiobus forum member @stown for this really great idea. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

• Note: I added an option to alter the CC assigned to each note. Be sure to save the patch, a preset, or the session after making changes.

• @ehehehe said:

@Phil999 said:
    poly AT is a significant advantage. I like the XKey 37, and it has stood the test of time for several years.

Yeah, it’s really good. Way more playable than mini keys. What ios synths do you prefer?

Synth apps with poly AT were rather rare, but everything from PPG works well. There are others, but since MPE I don't quite remember which ones I used. Generally one can use any MPE synth with the XKey 37.

• @wim said:
    Somewhat OT, but maybe relevant. I just released "Expression Redirector" on patch storage. What it does takes some explanation.

Basically, it takes MPE data (per note Velocity, Aftertouch, Expression (CC 74), Pitch Bend, and Release Velocity) and/or Channel Aftertouch and Note Velocity, and splits it out into CC streams. It's kind of like transmogrifying an MPE (or Channel Aftertouch capable) controller into a huge bank of CC controllers.

The note number becomes the CC number. The value of the expression becomes the CC value. You can, and probably should, set a separate channel for each CC. So, for instance, if MPE is enabled and set to channel 1 and Poly Aftertouch is set to Channel 2, then I press and slide on Note 36, two streams of CC 36 will be sent.

Sigh ... really hard to explain clearly. I suggest just enabling one expression with the output going to a midi monitor. Play some keys and note the CC's flowing through the monitor. Now add another on a different channel and note what you see. Hopefully it'll start to make sense.

I'm kind of excited about this one. It provides the potential for a single MPE controller to control hundreds of synth parameters. With my Sensel Morph basic piano layout and only the MPE "Y" axis enabled I'm looking at 24 CC's of control without even changing octaves on the keyboard. Kudos to @stown for the idea, which I totally didn't get at first. πŸ˜‚

EXPRESSION REDIRECTOR v0.4
    Convert Poly Aftertouch and MPE Controller Output to MIDI CC streams.

• This script can convert all forms of MPE expression, plus Channel Aftertouch into MIDI CC streams.
    • Data from MPE controllers can include Velocity, Channel Pressure, Pitch Bend, Expression (CC 74), and Note Release. (Seabord calls these Strike, Press, Glide, Slide, and Lift). Some other controllers can send Channel Aftertouch.
    • Aftertouch is the pressure on a key after the initial strike. Poly Aftertouch is per-note, Channel Aftertouch is just one value regardless of note. For clarity this program refers to Channel Aftertouch as "Mono Aftertouch"
    • Set each type of message to OFF (🚫) or to a MIDI channel. Each enabled message should be on a separate channel to avoid conflicting streams (or not, if you like some chaos πŸ˜‰). Default is OFF for all streams.
    • The note number becomes the CC number, and the message value becomes the CC value sent. Note 0 becomes CC 0, Note 36 becomes CC 36, etc.
    • NEW❗️: The last two knobs allow you to override the default MIDI CC assignment for each note.
    • Velocity will work from non-MPE sources too. You can use this to send a CC value based on how hard you hit a note.
    • You can also choose whether or not to send out Note ON and Note OFF messages. The default is OFF.

SO! What is this good for? Well, for instance it can enable an MPE controller to send up to 128 MIDI CCs for controlling non-MPE synth parameters from the "Slide" expression (usually sliding up and down on the key). Or a controller that sends Poly Aftertouch can control as many MIDI CC's as there are keys on the device. Even just the AUM keyboard can send up to 128 CC's based on where you strike the key. An MPE controller with Pressure, Pitch Bend, Expression, and Release could in theory control up to 768 parameters!

I dunno - seems like it could come in handy. Credit to Audiobus forum member @stown for this really great idea. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Whoa. This is incredible work! I feel like we should be talking about this.

• Thanks @ashh - I'm finding it very useful. It's not something that's easy to see the potential of though. Most people with MPE controllers probably bought them more for use with MPE synths than anything else.

• edited September 2021

@wim said:
    Thanks @ashh - I'm finding it very useful. It's not something that's easy to see the potential of though. Most people with MPE controllers probably bought them more for use with MPE synths than anything else.

Yeah true but there's more than a few people with Roli's gear that would find this v useful. Speaking of which, have a listen to the latest Sonic State podcast about Roli, there's a dude on there who excoriates the CEO. All but calls him a crook.

• @ehehehe said:

@ocelot said:
    How do you map polyphonic aftertouch to a synth (that supports poly-AT) in AUM? Thanks.

Is a Streambyter or Mozaic workaround still required?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38265/auv3-mapping-channel-pressure-or-polyphonic-aftertouch

In Synthmaster 2 and most others it’s within the synth itself. But I only get channel aftertouch working.

Thanks ehehehe. I didn't realize the $99 25-key version has poly-AT, or a metal body.

wim, that's pretty amazing! I'll try it with the Akai Force.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

Expression Redirector v0.5 fixes a Poly Aftertouch bug. Please grab that version if you're using the script.

It also excludes CC 120-127, which are reserved Channel Mode Messages that normally shouldn't be used. You can set the EXCLUDE_CHANNEL_MODE_CC to FALSE to overcome this restriction if you really want to.