Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

polybeat by Corne Driesprong

Comments

• Velocity is going to make this even more awesome.

• @michael_m said:
    Velocity is going to make this even more awesome.

You do know it’s there now right? I waited to buy it til it had it, and it definitely has it now.

• @oat_phipps said:

@michael_m said:
    Velocity is going to make this even more awesome.

You do know it’s there now right? I waited to buy it til it had it, and it definitely has it now.

Yes, I saw the post about the update, but had missed it before reading it yesterday.

• This is a really nice sequencer, but it vanishes every two minutes for me, just as I’m getting something great out of it, and then everything is lost.

• edited October 2021

Anyone else have a bug, where the sequencer is outputing notes but there are no notes on the grid? Keeps happening for me in AUM.

• @auxmux said:
    Anyone else have a bug, where the sequencer is outputing notes but there are no notes on the grid? Keeps happening for me in AUM.

Sort of. If i change the template the previous pattern keeps playing even though the screen is now empty of notes.

• Yeah, this happened to me as well, where switching a pattern kept playing the old one. But the sequencer was playing random notes, when I started a new session in AUM without anything programmed.

• @soundtemple said:
    Is it possible to tie notes in the sequencer now with recent updates?

i was also wondering if you could tie notes together. that would be very helpful

• cp3cp3
    edited October 2021

@galmandsværk said:
    But, for some reason, when I change patterns while its playing, the very first beat from the previous pattern is always played before the new pattern "catches up". So, if pattern A is playing 4 beats on the kick drum and I change to pattern B which plays 4 beats on a snare, then the first beat of the first round will still be the kick drum. Does that make sense? And has anyone experienced anything similar?

you're right, the snapshot change overshoots a little. will look into a fix.

@SimonSomeone said:
    @cp3 Purchased and had a little play. I couldn't find out if this was possible, but it would be good to be able to audition the sounds somehow. Perhaps the option that pressing the sound name could play it.

good idea! I will add this.

@drcongo said:
    This is a really nice sequencer, but it vanishes every two minutes for me, just as I’m getting something great out of it, and then everything is lost.

does this still happen with the latest version (1.1)? if so, which host are you using?

@auxmux said:

I've been getting reports of this happening, but I can't reproduce it myself. can you send me a PM the details of your setup (device type, iOS version, mapping preset, number of snapshots)

@eross said:
    i was also wondering if you could tie notes together. that would be very helpful

not sure what you mean here - since it's a drum sequencer there's no concept of note length (i.e., all notes are the same length) so what effect would tying notes together have?

• edited October 2021

Auditioning on the names would be very welcome.

Confirmed by CP3 that Koala is off by an octave. Can anyone find the midi note offset to change the drum maps by an octave? I know I have seen this before in settings and after the update can’t see it anywhere.

• @cp3 said:

@galmandsværk said:
    But, for some reason, when I change patterns while its playing, the very first beat from the previous pattern is always played before the new pattern "catches up". So, if pattern A is playing 4 beats on the kick drum and I change to pattern B which plays 4 beats on a snare, then the first beat of the first round will still be the kick drum. Does that make sense? And has anyone experienced anything similar?

@SimonSomeone said:
    @cp3 Purchased and had a little play. I couldn't find out if this was possible, but it would be good to be able to audition the sounds somehow. Perhaps the option that pressing the sound name could play it.

@drcongo said:
    This is a really nice sequencer, but it vanishes every two minutes for me, just as I’m getting something great out of it, and then everything is lost.

does this still happen with the latest version (1.1)? if so, which host are you using?

@auxmux said:

I've been getting reports of this happening, but I can't reproduce it myself. can you send me a PM the details of your setup (device type, iOS version, mapping preset, number of snapshots)

@eross said:

not sure what you mean here - since it's a drum sequencer there's no concept of note length (i.e., all notes are the same length) so what effect would tying notes together have?

well if you are using it to sequence notes, it could be cool to lengthen a note when creating a melody

• @Model10000 said:
    Auditioning on the names would be very welcome.

Confirmed by CP3 that Koala is off by and octave. Can anyone find the midi note offset to change the drum maps by an octave? I know I have seen this before in settings and after the update can’t see it anywhere.

In Koala

• @eross said:

@cp3 said:

@galmandsværk said:

@SimonSomeone said:

@drcongo said:

@auxmux said:

@eross said:

well if you are using it to sequence notes, it could be cool to lengthen a note when creating a melody

While I can kind of see this, I appreciate that this is an app for drums and would not want any features that might compromise that. There are several good apps for melodic stuff, including:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cykle/id1187680637

• edited October 2021

@royor Ha. Thanks for that. Had midi mapping set to on and that option was hidden in Koala.

• godgod
    edited October 2021

Help! how does one leave the following screen? 🧐 @cp3

• @cp3 I think it was 1.1 that I was using as I only bought it a couple of days ago, however, just been having a test and it’s not disappearing for me yet. I’m using NS2 as the host, M1 16GB iPad Pro with the OS up to date. This could quickly become my favourite drum sequencer.

• @cp3 not sure what you mean here - since it's a drum sequencer there's no concept of note length (i.e., all notes are the same length)

individual note length for each step is useful even in a drum sequencer for example if you trigger a longer shaker sample. in this screenshot of koala you can see what i mean :

• edited October 2021

I’d agree that note length is still a thing even in the context of a drum sequencer. If you’re looking at things strictly from the world of modular or analog drum machines a trigger for each hit is all that’s important but ever since the Roland R8 (and other hardware drum machines from other manufacturers), hit length has also been a consideration so in analog terms we’re talking gate length.

But I have some sympathy with the developer as he want’s to maintain clear differences between Cykle his melodic part step sequencer and Polybeat, his drum step sequncer.

The image below shows the per-step options in Cykle. I use both Polybeat & Cycle and think you get the most out of using both Polybeat and Cykle in tandem. Keep Polybeat as a traditional analog style ‘trigger’ step sequencer, and for percussion parts where step length is important, use Cykle. Both are very reasonably priced and it allows the desight strategy of each step sequencr to be distinct.

• @jonmoore said:
    I’d agree that note length is still a thing even in the context of a drum sequencer. If you’re looking at things strictly from the world of modular or analog drum machines a trigger for each hit is all that’s important but ever since the Roland R8 (and other hardware drum machines from other manufacturers), hit length has also been a consideration so in analog terms we’re talking gate length.

But I have some sympathy with the developer as he want’s to maintain clear differences between Cykle his melodic part step sequencer and Polybeat, his drum step sequncer.

The image below shows the per-step options in Cykle. I use both Polybeat & Cycle and think you get the most out of using both Polybeat and Cykle in tandem. Keep Polybeat as a traditional analog style ‘trigger’ step sequencer, and for percussion parts where step length is important, use Cykle. Both are very reasonably priced and it allows the desight strategy of each step sequencr to be distinct.

They’re definitely both great, some more scale options in cykle might be useful (harmonic minor I’m looking at you) and maybe the drum maps would be handy, though might be a step too far…

• i use cyle for a long time and i love it.
    but i wont use cycle for drums as polybeat is better in so many ways for drum programming.

i use gate/length per DRUM step all the time in koala.
    it may be not important for all of us but i hope it will be added with an update of polybeat 😀

• @god said:

Bumping this in hopes of somebody know the answer 😔

• @god said:

@god said:

In AUM, you close it by tapping outside of the popup panel

• @CracklePot said:

@god said:

@god said:

In AUM, you close it by tapping outside of the popup panel

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific 😞 I meant in either Cubasis3 or NanoStudio2 (shown in screenshot). There is just no way to go back from this screen back to the main plug-in screen! (At least that’s the case on my iPhone 8 Plus)

• @god said:

this 'screen' is supposed to show as a popover that you can dismiss by tapping outside it (that's how it works in AUM). probably there's some global setting in Cubasis/Nanostudio that prevents it from showing popovers. will fix in next update.

• @cp3 said:

@god said:

this 'screen' is supposed to show as a popover that you can dismiss by tapping outside it (that's how it works in AUM). probably there's some global setting in Cubasis/Nanostudio that prevents it from showing popovers. will fix in next update.

Coolness! Thank you 🙏

• @cp3 said:

@god said:

It may be an iPhone issue. It shows as a popup panel in Cubasis 3 on iPad, and gets dismissed by tapping outside the panel..

• @CracklePot said:

@cp3 said:

@god said:

It may be an iPhone issue. It shows as a popup panel in Cubasis 3 on iPad, and gets dismissed by tapping outside the panel..

Yeah, you’re probably right. I only own an iPhone so I wouldn’t know much about iPads , though.

• @cp3 thank you for the new update and for fixing the un-closable popover bug! Much appreciated! ❤️ 🙏

• Currently stuck on iOS12, I was bummed out that I could not put my hands on this glorious app. (Cykle fan already, I knew this would be tight). Then I noticed the lower requirement is ios 11.
    Running to buy it in the afternoon.
    Thanks @cp3 :heart: :love:

• Thanks for the update!

Just a small and egoistical request for any future updates: Would it be possible to include an “instant pattern switch” for the snapshots, just like Octachron does?

In a live situation, I would use Polybeat as a drummer controlled by LK. So, when I switch scenes in LK, it sends a message to Polybeat to play a specific snapshot/pattern on the 1.0 beat. Polybeat will then register the midi message, but continue playing a bar before it changes it. This makes a lot of sense, but for my case, I need it to change instantly when it receives the message. Maybe this is a function other users are longing for too?

Thanks for a great app. I will look into Cykle as well now, I think. They look like a powerful pairing.