Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

polybeat by Corne Driesprong

Comments

• @Bon_Tempi said:
    Nice app - but way too many crashes and issues to really enjoy its potential -

I hope these things will get sorted out ...

The developer mentioned earlier in the thread that this was intended to be a soft launch to help iron out the bugs. He’s hard at work on the initial bug fix update which will also include a velocity lane implimentation too. Hopefully the wait won’t be too long.

• @jonmoore said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

The developer mentioned earlier in the thread that this was intended to be a soft launch to help iron out the bugs. He’s hard at work on the initial bug fix update which will also include a velocity lane implimentation too. Hopefully the wait won’t be too long.

Ok - thanks - good to know ...

The main issues I do experience are problems with state saving and crashes as soon as I start working with patterns A, B, C) etc

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@jonmoore said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

Ok - thanks - good to know ...

The main issues I do experience are problems with state saving and crashes as soon as I start working with patterns A, B, C) etc

That seems to have been sorted in the latest beta - I've not had any crashes / sequencer problems so far, but still testing...

• Naive question: what does this offer, other than preset drum templates, that Cykle doesn’t?

• @Svetlovska said:
    Naive question: what does this offer, other than preset drum templates, that Cykle doesn’t?

They have completely different objectives and workflows. Cykle is optimised for the step programming of melodic patterns and Polybeat is optimised for the step programming of rhythm patterns.

There is of course crossover between the two, in that Polybeat can sequence melodic parts and Cykle can sequence rhythmic parts but in both cases, you'll work far faster using the dedicated app.

• cp3cp3
    edited September 2021

just released an update (1.0.1) with:

• various bugfixes and stability improvements
    • set maximum track count to 32
    • set maximum snapshot count to 24
    • fixed link to user manual

if anyone still encounters issues please let me know in a DM, so I can try to reproduce the exact issue.

1.1 update with new functionality (velocity and more) coming soon...

• Looking forward to 1.1 - velocity will be an awesome addition!

• I think I’ve found a bug in the new update.
    After removing notes from the grid, polybeat keeps sending these midi notes, even when the entire grid is empty.
    This happened sending notes to iSpark (IAA) and FAC Drumkit (Auv3).

• I have just tried to drive my hardware drum machine with Polybeat in AUM. General midi, channel 10 out. Nothing. Not a toot. It's showing that it's sending something. Put Rozeta Rhythm next to it, same settings, boom shaka lacka. Any ideas anyone?

• @ashh said:
    I have just tried to drive my hardware drum machine with Polybeat in AUM. General midi, channel 10 out. Nothing. Not a toot. It's showing that it's sending something. Put Rozeta Rhythm next to it, same settings, boom shaka lacka. Any ideas anyone?

there's a bug causing polybeat to always sends from channel 1, regardless of the configured MIDI channel. will fix asap. in the meantime I guess you can reroute the MIDI to channel 10 in AUM if that's what you're using.

• @cp3 I'm wondering how the update is coming along. I was keen on purchasing this, but not without velocity.Thanks!

• @SimonSomeone said:
    @cp3 I'm wondering how the update is coming along. I was keen on purchasing this, but not without velocity.Thanks!

It works brilliantly without but I agree would be a masterpiece with.

• As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I get the feeling that both of the devs step sequencers were created very much with hardware in mind where velocity isn't always an option (often you've only got an 'accent' option). The level of interest made him reconsider the option and I hope it finds its way into both of his step sequencers.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    @cp3 I'm wondering how the update is coming along. I was keen on purchasing this, but not without velocity.Thanks!

the update with velocity is due soon, probably this week

• @cp3 that's great thanks, looking forward to using it.

• @SimonSomeone said:

Just buy it and support the developer - he’s working on adding velocity, so it will be a free update for you.

• a new polybeat version (1.1) has been released which adds velocity and MIDI CC modulation, as well as fixes for some critical stability issues.

full changelog:

• adds velocity modulation
    • adds MIDI CC modulation
    • added Beathawk MIDI mapping
    • lowered minimum deployment target to iOS 11
    • various bugfixes and stability improvements
  • OK, bought it!

• I mean, I jumped in right at "adds velocity modulation," but Beathawk midi mapping!? That's novel and interesting.

• @cp3 I've really enjoyed using polybeat before v1.1 (any bugs I encountered didn't spoil the fun). Looking forward to using the velocity and CC features in the new build.

• @jonmoore said:
    @cp3 I've really enjoyed using polybeat before v1.1 (any bugs I encountered didn't spoil the fun). Looking forward to using the velocity and CC features in the new build.

thanks, that's great to hear!

• edited October 2021

Just bought the app and love the design and the ease of use.

But, for some reason, when I change patterns while its playing, the very first beat from the previous pattern is always played before the new pattern "catches up". So, if pattern A is playing 4 beats on the kick drum and I change to pattern B which plays 4 beats on a snare, then the first beat of the first round will still be the kick drum. Does that make sense? And has anyone experienced anything similar?

I've tested it with Digistix 2 and EG Pulse on an iPad Air 4.

edit: what I call patterns are called "snapshots" in Polybeat's manual. It's the A, B, C, etc at the top of the window.

• Well this is the best solution for FAC Drumkit I’ve found. Atom was a little tedious to sequence with but this is easier. Any way to change the labels on the instruments (e.g. BD, SD) to match what they are actually sequencing?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I mean, I jumped in right at "adds velocity modulation," but Beathawk midi mapping!? That's novel and interesting.

Why is adding a midi mapping preset for Beathawk “novel and interesting”?
    I use Beathawk as it is a great sounding drummer that’s let down by a poorly implemented sequencer. Polybeat solves that problem, but it was missing the midi mapping preset from the list of other apps.

• edited October 2021

@cp3

One more bug I seem to have found.

When I create a pattern and then decide to erase the notes (using the “x” button) and start over, then the notes still seem to be playing. It’s the strangest thing. I can’t see any notes in the sequencer, but I can hear them. If I then draw in the same notes I had used previously, the sound stops, as if the app thinks that I’ve now erased them.
    I’ll try to make a video to show what I mean and post it here.

Edit: just tried to recreate the bug, but I can’t. Strange. I’ll let you know if it happens again and try to record the process. Great app, though. I really love working with it.

• @galmandsværk said:
    @cp3

One more bug I seem to have found.

When I create a pattern and then decide to erase the notes (using the “x” button) and start over, then the notes still seem to be playing. It’s the strangest thing. I can’t see any notes in the sequencer, but I can hear them. If I then draw in the same notes I had used previously, the sound stops, as if the app thinks that I’ve now erased them.
    I’ll try to make a video to show what I mean and post it here.

I've been getting the same issue before, seems like the note-off message is send when the note in the sequencer is re-entered instead of when it's erased.

• Is it possible to tie notes in the sequencer now with recent updates?

• @Beathoven said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I mean, I jumped in right at "adds velocity modulation," but Beathawk midi mapping!? That's novel and interesting.

Why is adding a midi mapping preset for Beathawk “novel and interesting”?
    I use Beathawk as it is a great sounding drummer that’s let down by a poorly implemented sequencer. Polybeat solves that problem, but it was missing the midi mapping preset from the list of other apps.

I was hoping it would do something else, but I misunderstood its potential. I thought Polybeat would map all the individual "drum elements" in a Beathawk drumkit, which are laid out not by pads but chromatically (signified by the piano icon). Unless I'm doing something wrong, Polybeat maps to the BH pads. The only way to play the acoustic drum kit, for example, is to switch to "pitch" in the BH window and play chromatically through two octaves.

• @cp3 Purchased and had a little play. I couldn't find out if this was possible, but it would be good to be able to audition the sounds somehow. Perhaps the option that pressing the sound name could play it.