Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

polybeat by Corne Driesprong

Comments

• @jonmoore said:
    Have you explored all the MIDI mapping presets?

Nope - I just use this one a lot

• @NTKK said:

@jonmoore said:
    Have you explored all the MIDI mapping presets?

Nope - I just use this one a lot

What I meant by that is that Polybeat is supplied with a wide range of both iOS percussion app and percussion hardware MIDI profiles (for drum hit triggering). You can also edit any of those profiles to your liking, or create your own profile from scratch. On that basis you should be able to remedy the problem you encountered without waiting for updates.

• I would like to jam my drums with this app and later record the Midi into Cubasis. Is there an easy way how I could split the recording into several tracks by note, so that I have one track per instrument and then I could easily move them to the tracks of a multi-out drum app.

• edited September 2021

@jonmoore Ok - it’s just that I couldn’t find a way to edit the exsisting map or save a custom one. How do you do that?

• @NTKK

Apologies, my bad. You have to create a custom map rather than editing an existing one. Creating a custom map is super simple but having the ability to edit an existing MIDI map seems like a reasonable FR to me.

• +1 to edit existing MIDI mappings.

• And save the maps in app 😃

• @jonmoore No worries - l’ll stop Long presning and sliding every element in the meny and just make a custom map.

• @krassmann said:
    I would like to jam my drums with this app and later record the Midi into Cubasis. Is there an easy way how I could split the recording into several tracks by note, so that I have one track per instrument and then I could easily move them to the tracks of a multi-out drum app.

Could you duplicate the MIDI track in Cubasis a number of times equal to the total number of notes, then go into each and delete all but the note you want on that track?

Not elegant, but it wouldn’t be too time consuming.

• I hate it when sequencers don’t have the option to record finger drumming.

• @tahiche said:
    I hate it when sequencers don’t have the option to record finger drumming.

It's a step sequencer, by definition it's intended for entering rhythms step by step. Go find something else that suits your needs better.

• @jonmoore said:

@tahiche said:

It's a step sequencer, by definition it's intended for entering rhythms step by step. Go find something else that suits your needs better.

True. But you can't blame a man for trying.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

True dat. But there's a difference between saying 'wouldn't it be nice...' and opening with 'I hate it...'. Especially when the app is doing exactly what it says on the tin. Good manners and all the jazz.

• @McD said:

Since it takes multiple apps to demo, I'll forward 2 cookies. I have hundreds in my browser to share
    but I'll probably provides links to sites that feed you the cookies for free.

I've already trained AdSense to show me nothing but bikini ads. I don't want to risk upsetting that delicate equilibrium.

• @jonmoore said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

True dat. But there's a difference between saying 'wouldn't it be nice...' and opening with 'I hate it...'. Especially when the app is doing exactly what it says on the tin. Good manners and all the jazz.

I didn’t say I hate the app. I actually love it, great features, great UI. But I hate it when sequencers don’t have the option for recording live. I don’t see the bad manners, I’m respectful of dev’s work and if I don’t like an app I simply don’t comment.

• @jonmoore said:

@tahiche said:

I don‘t see why step sequencers shouldn’t be able to record. The Roland X0X drum machines can.

• edited September 2021

@michael_m said:

@krassmann said:
    I would like to jam my drums with this app and later record the Midi into Cubasis. Is there an easy way how I could split the recording into several tracks by note, so that I have one track per instrument and then I could easily move them to the tracks of a multi-out drum app.

Could you duplicate the MIDI track in Cubasis a number of times equal to the total number of notes, then go into each and delete all but the note you want on that track?

Not elegant, but it wouldn’t be too time consuming.

Yeah, that’s definitely a way - thank you. But true, that’s not really an elegant solution. Maybe I check out if I couldn‘t create a solution with Mozaic or MidiFire + Streambyter.

• @krassmann you could use Mozaic to set each note into your kit to a different midi channel and then setup your cubasis channel to receive only on that midi channel.

• @soundtemple said:
    @krassmann you could use Mozaic to set each note into your kit to a different midi channel and then setup your cubasis channel to receive only on that midi channel.

That’s what I thought, too. But recently I discovered a strange bug of Cubasis 3. For sone Midi inputs it does not filter the events by the channel you set in the track inspector. It just plays all the notes of all channels. I created a bug report with an example project: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/bug-midi-inputs-other-than-external-instruments-cannot-be-filtered-by-channel/739622

But anyway, this work well if there wouldn‘t be the bug. Thanks.

• Doug has a video up, pretty informative

• I’m very very interested in this app but a few things have me hesitant… no velocities. Plus no Edit and save midi mapping. I’m hoping they will be added. I’m sure they will, but will probably wait a little. Congrats on the release!

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Doug has a video up, pretty informative

Yeah, Doug's video convinced me, so going to buy it for sure now.

• @Poppadocrock I was just about to post the link, so many thanks for doing that.
    I think it definitely needs velocity adding.

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @Poppadocrock I was just about to post the link, so many thanks for doing that.

Totally agree - that would be such a good addition.

• @michael_m said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

The developer has already mentioned that a velocity lane will be added to the first update that's due quite soon. :)

• Well even without velocity (yet), this is a great app for bringing life to the most boring drums.

• edited September 2021

Any word on when this might update? Waiting on the improvements, but I've got a 48 bpm track that I suddenly realized needs polyrhythms. And yes, @thesoundtestroom's video completely sold me.

• @thesoundtestroom said:

Agreed, I’m surprised it wasn’t there, I’m sure it will be added though. Cheers Doug!

• @jonmoore said:

@michael_m said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

The developer has already mentioned that a velocity lane will be added to the first update that's due quite soon. :)

Awesome great to know. Thanks.

• Nice app - but way too many crashes and issues to really enjoy its potential -

I hope these things will get sorted out ...