Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

polybeat by Corne Driesprong

Comments

• Lot of potential to be very good but holding it back is binary accent rather than velocity, can't believe this is going to last. Something about the parameter window at the bottom having a separate colour scheme really confuses my eye, it's the largest block of colour in the window but it doesn't relate to track selection. I'd much prefer if all the parameters shared the colour of the selected track. Not so important but would be nice if Offset could be bipolar and the duplicate function doesn't seem to work, neither copy/paste.
    Otherwise it feels focused and a pleasure to use, I'm looking forward to where this goes, always fancied Cykle but this fits more with my needs.

• My view so far is all about the potential rather than what’s there right now. With Cykle the developer definitely made a lot of good changes after the initial launch product based on artist feedback.

The color coding of the modulation secton definitely jarred with me at first but within minutes, once I understood it’s visual language I really appreciated the way it worked. It’s a pity that there wasn’t an extended color palette for the modulation lanes but things are areadly a little on the rainbow side of things, so I’m sure the dev purpusely limited the palette.

• @jonmoore said:
    My view so far is all about the potential rather than what’s there right now. With Cykle the developer definitely made a lot of good changes after the initial launch product based on artist feedback.

The color coding of the modulation secton definitely jarred with me at first but within minutes, once I understood it’s visual language I really appreciated the way it worked. It’s a pity that there wasn’t an extended color palette for the modulation lanes but things are areadly a little on the rainbow side of things, so I’m sure the dev purpusely limited the palette.

Yeah maybe I should keep an open mind about the color scheme for the modulation lanes. Just a first impression but seems like another opportunity to help the user know what track they're on. Still, happy to be an early adopter though feels like this one could do with a bit more ripening.

Found a couple more bugs, under certain conditions notes aren't cleared even though they're not displayed. The Clear function seems to produce a persistent note on the first track.

• @Samu said:
    I'll wait for the manual before I decide...

Good idea!

• I think if you like Cykle, you’ll like Polybeat. The developer definitely takes inspiration from hardware step sequencing and that connects with me. Parring something back to just the neccessary components is far more difficult than going feature rich, and I think the dev has definitely got a clear vision for Polybeat. Hopefully he’ll take on board any feedback and tweak things in a manner that doesn’t lose sight of his original vision.

• @jonmoore said:
    I think if you like Cykle, you’ll like Polybeat. The developer definitely takes inspiration from hardware step sequencing and that connects with me. Parring something back to just the neccessary components is far more difficult than going feature rich, and I think the dev has definitely got a clear vision for Polybeat. Hopefully he’ll take on board any feedback and tweak things in a manner that doesn’t lose sight of his original vision.

This is basically all I need to hear. You getting something interesting/inspiring out of it? I'm in. (But it does have FAC Drumkit as a preset option, right!?)

• Doug @thesoundtestroom - have you seen this? I saw your video on Cykle - is this something you could demo in a future video?

• @cp3
    Your presence is requested here!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

This is basically all I need to hear. You getting something interesting/inspiring out of it? I'm in. (But it does have FAC Drumkit as a preset option, right!?)

FAC Drumkit preset and a whole lot more - Analog Rhythm 909, Axon 2, Beatmaker 3, DM1/DM2, Digistix, EG Pulse, Elastic Drums, FAC Drumkit, Fractal Bits, Gadget, General MIDI, Hammerhead, Koala, MV08, Patterning 2, Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM, Ruismaker Noir, Seekbeats, iElectribe and finally iSpark.

Default hardware maps for Arturia Drumbute, Elektron Analog Rytm, Elektron Digitakt, Elektron Digitone, Korg Volca Drum, MFB 522, MFB Tanzbar, Roland TR-06, Roland TR-08 and Roland TR-09.

As you can see, the default mappings are very generous.

• cp3cp3
    edited September 2021

hey, polybeat developer here. i meant to do a 'soft launch' but it seems the word got out literally an hour after I released it :blush:

I will put the manual up over the weekend. will definitely add a velocity lane asap, as well as midi CC modulation.

the MIDI mapping is as follows (note input, might be subject to change):

select snapshot
    0-7

select track
    8-24

selected track:
    25 clear
    26 mute
    27 solo
    28 randomize
    29 mutate
    30 shift left
    31 shift right
    32 add
    33 remove
    34 reverse
    35 mirror
    36 duplicate
    37 bisect

• Thanks for the update and looking forward to the future tweaks.

• More focusing on the Melodic part of Polybeat..

Tie, Octave, Mono/Poly option would be nice.. unless I am missing it..

Thanks for such a great app..

• edited September 2021

O> @RajahP said:

More focusing on the Melodic part of Polybeat..

Tie, Octave, Mono/Poly option would be nice.. unless I am missing it..

Thanks for such a great app..

Or, giving us the Option to add all the ‘parameters’ as Cykle.. that would be crazy..

😌

Thanks..

• McDMcD
    edited September 2021
  • edited September 2021

@cp3 - a couple of bugs - multiple instances of Polybeat driving different instruments can cause problems - sequencer of one instance will sometimes stop running and AUM locks. Changing MIDI mapping in Polybeat while the transport is running also can stop the sequencer and lock AUM. Otherwise it's an interesting start...

• Could one point this at Segments and use it to sequence the slices?

• Even though we can have multiple instances as an auv3 I'd like to see multiple channels inone instance like in the standalone version. So much easier to have everything in one instance.

• This app loads into Logic as a MIDI effect and seems to work fine there

• @mistercharlie said:
    Could one point this at Segments and use it to sequence the slices?

Yes. You can manually set up the MIDI mapping to your Segments slices.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Could one point this at Segments and use it to sequence the slices?

Great idea, that could be a winner.

• @soundtemple said:
    Even though we can have multiple instances as an auv3 I'd like to see multiple channels inone instance like in the standalone version. So much easier to have everything in one instance.

There isn’t a standalone version. It’s AUv3 only.

You can still have everything in one instance if that’s your preference, you just have to set up your MIDI mapping in your host appropriately.

• Rather than the radio button skip lane I think a multi button cycle condition lane would be more useful. So say 4 buttons, if all true the note plays every cycle, if buttons 1 and 4 are true then the note is triggered on the 1st and 4th cycle. It would be a lot more flexible.

I'm just going to shamelessly spam endless feature requests on this, sorry dev 😉

Adjusting time offset directly on the sequencer grid (hold and slide) would be cool. Would like to see that information on the grid anyway. Drum Computer does this nicely.

• @SpartanClownTide said:
    Rather than the radio button skip lane I think a multi button cycle condition lane would be more useful. So say 4 buttons, if all true the note plays every cycle, if buttons 1 and 4 are true then the note is triggered on the 1st and 4th cycle. It would be a lot more flexible.

I'm just going to shamelessly spam endless feature requests on this, sorry dev 😉

Adjusting time offset directly on the sequencer grid (hold and slide) would be cool. Would like to see that information on the grid anyway. Drum Computer does this nicely.

I don’t even own this yet, but if it’s anything like the Drum Computer sequencer then I’m in

• @gregsmith said:
    I don’t even own this yet, but if it’s anything like the Drum Computer sequencer then I’m in

Lot’s of parallels with the Drum Computer sequecer, but with a nicer UX.

• @gregsmith said:

@SpartanClownTide said:
    Rather than the radio button skip lane I think a multi button cycle condition lane would be more useful. So say 4 buttons, if all true the note plays every cycle, if buttons 1 and 4 are true then the note is triggered on the 1st and 4th cycle. It would be a lot more flexible.

Similarities. Shares that same general lineage along with Hammerhead and Guru/Geist, probably many others, for good reason.

• Anyone else finding this a bit unstable? I'm getting crashes when trying to change things like ratchet while the sequencer is running - the sequencer stops and AUM won't respond so has to be force quit...same symptoms if I try to add more than a couple of instances to feed instruments - one of the sequencers is likely to stop completely. Looks promising but I can't exactly rely on it yet...

• @enkaytee said:
    Anyone else finding this a bit unstable? I'm getting crashes when trying to change things like ratchet while the sequencer is running - the sequencer stops and AUM won't respond so has to be force quit...same symptoms if I try to add more than a couple of instances to feed instruments - one of the sequencers is likely to stop completely. Looks promising but I can't exactly rely on it yet...

Feels like a beta version to be honest.

• @enkaytee said:
    Anyone else finding this a bit unstable? I'm getting crashes when trying to change things like ratchet while the sequencer is running - the sequencer stops and AUM won't respond so has to be force quit...same symptoms if I try to add more than a couple of instances to feed instruments - one of the sequencers is likely to stop completely. Looks promising but I can't exactly rely on it yet...

I had a couple instances both bomb out at the same time when playing with it yesterday. Not sure exactly what the trigger was.

• @enkaytee said:

I'll try to iron out the kinks asap. in the meantime, if you manage to isolate the exact circumstances in which the sequencer stops please send me a PM, that would be super helpful!

• i can already tell this app is gonna be very popular. still has a few bugs. but once they are exterminated. it will be wry useful. especially when Neon app gets released. it will be great for sequencing clips in aum. cool cool