Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Neon - 4Pockets AUV3 Audio Editor and clip launcher

Comments

• Hmmm, interesting. Looks like it only supports one clip per instance though?

• Yes I was expecting LK for audio when I saw the title

• edited September 2021

I would not be surprised to see a few of the Helium widgets added in the coming weeks, e.g. multiple takes and multiple clips per instance, which is the big missing feature.

• edited September 2021

Barring that, Atom for audio one hopes?

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I would not be surprised to see a few of the Helium widgets added in the coming weeks, e.g. multiple takes and multiple clips per instance, which is the big missing feature.

Interesting. I haven’t used Helium but sounds like this could be one to keep an eye on.

• edited September 2021

I was wondering if this might replace MultiTrack Recorder inside NS2 but it will need various abilities such as punch in/out and the ability to move bits of audio around the timeline. Hopefully there will be some nice integration between the audio pools in MultiTrack Recorder and Neon, so that clips can be edited in Neon and arranged in MultiTrack Recorder.

• @soundtemple said:
    Yes I was expecting LK for audio when I saw the title

God thx I’m not the only one

• I'll be sitting on the sidelines. I don't see an immediate use for this (for me). I have auditor for editing. I have other apps for triggering audio like Segments and Drambo. Plus I jumped in with Helium and MTR and was a bit disappointed.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:

Or, Helium’s loop launch feature for Neon?

That said, will love to see the launch controller ‘detached’ in Helium..

Nice..

• Is it me, or does 4pockets stuff always fall just short of where I want/need it to be?

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Is it me, or does 4pockets stuff always fall just short of where I want/need it to be?

Ever thought that it could actually be you and your workflow then?

• edited September 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Is it me, or does 4pockets stuff always fall just short of where I want/need it to be?

The UI makes me biased...sometimes they do exceed my expectations, and he does consider feature requests. I wonder if he'd be willing to do a video about his workflow. It clearly has its tradeoffs, but I can see why it would be necessary, if he's making a full-time career out of this.

If his apps were open source, it would be a resource on par with Audiokit.

@attakk The iOS workflow isn't something that allows me to quickly build the song ideas I hear in my head. I'm slowly writing a Mozaic sequencer to help me with that, but it will have its own tradeoffs.

• @attakk said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Ever thought that it could actually be you and your workflow then?

I'm pretty confident my comment reflects my needs and workflow ;)

• This looks great. Love the larger interface and detailed waveform. Bonus points for the VU meter, drag and drop import, append recording feature, warp/timestrech and preview of audio effects.

Clean and effective UI. A quick audio editor doesn't need much more than this. Thought of these minor requests after watching the video:

1. Use of AUv3 audio effects
    2. Multiple fade curve options
    3. 'Neon' button above VU meter allows change of waveform color not just associated icon color
  • @BitterGums said:
    This looks great. Love the larger interface and detailed waveform. Bonus points for the VU meter, drag and drop import, append recording feature, warp/timestrech and preview of audio effects.

Clean and effective UI. A quick audio editor doesn't need much more than this. Thought of these minor requests after watching the video:

1. Use of AUv3 audio effects
    2. Multiple fade curve options
    3. 'Neon' button above VU meter allows change of waveform color not just associated icon color

Nice features, specially the use of AUv3. Maybe it could be something like the FXA and FXB feature on Digistix2.

• I’m in. I often need on the fly recording and editing inside AUM. The triggering is a bonus.

• This sounds absolutely ideal for what I want to do. I do wonder how I can use my launchpad within. Atom 2 is SUCH a dream the way it automatically populates the launchpad; any idea how to make Neon work that way? Or can I launch a Neon clip via Atom2?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Release date?

?? yes. when does it get turned loose?

• Looks very useful, ability to record loops within AUM and edit phill be handy for me. The clip launcher is also a nice touch, want multi clip launch then use sEGments ;-)

• Is it 24bit or only 16bit like the multitracker

• edited September 2021

Thinking about it some more, I guess the single sample per instance would not be too much of an issue for me as there are other 4pockets apps capable of loading and triggering multiple samples. The USP for me at the moment is the ability to record a set number of beats/seconds triggered by the transport - can anything else on iOS can currently do this as an AUv3? You can record a set number of beats in MultiTrack Recorder using the punch in/out options but I prefer the more focussed UI of Neon.

One of the criticisms of MultiTrack Recorder is that it only recorded 16-bit audio which is fine for me as I'm mainly recording guitars but it will be interesting to see if that limitation applies here too.

Edit: also need to keep reminding myself that the new Loopy will be with us at some point so I'm trying to avoid purchasing too many apps which might overlap with its feature set (which at the moment based on what Michael has been saying is pretty much all of them!)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Exactly my thoughts, unfortunately. I try to not be critical on iOS music apps developers since I know it's far away from a gold-mine, it's rather a hobby with some donating fans, but I've spent quite some money of 4pockets apps since they look really good when looking on specs, a little worse when you see screenshots and videos (I really don't like their GUI style but that's something I can get easily over) and when you try to use it... I always give up. There are apps which I can't substitute with anything else like Lyricist, but it's always a pain to use - very un-intuitive workflows, bugs here and there which makes things more confusing... in general, the user experience part is very bad. Also, I can't resist the feeling that quantity of apps and listed features are more important than how useful the app will be to the user.
    Of course, maybe it's just me. Obviously there are many people loving apps from 4pockets, so maybe I'm just a different target group.

• I think he should change the description for the release, this is not a clip launcher and people might expect it to be.
    I did scroll along the video to see if there was going to be a clip launcher part of the app. Having individual "clips" as separate AU instances is a workaround only. :)

• edited September 2021

@eross Watch the video and read the comments, it's there. (next week)

• I don’t buy many 4Pockets apps as I agree that they often fall short for my needs, but the ones I have purchased have become essential (AnalyserFX and NuRack). Nurack is interesting in the sense that when I build something for myself I’m comfortable with it’s limitations but when buying single purpose apps I just tend to find that competitor offerings go that extra yard, or more importantly, sound better. I also find the UI pretty offputting but for utility stuff I don’t have to look at it too much. :)

• edited September 2021

@skrat said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Exactly my thoughts, unfortunately. I try to not be critical on iOS music apps developers since I know it's far away from a gold-mine, it's rather a hobby with some donating fans, but I've spent quite some money of 4pockets apps since they look really good when looking on specs, a little worse when you see screenshots and videos (I really don't like their GUI style but that's something I can get easily over) and when you try to use it... I always give up. There are apps which I can't substitute with anything else like Lyricist, but it's always a pain to use - very un-intuitive workflows, bugs here and there which makes things more confusing... in general, the user experience part is very bad. Also, I can't resist the feeling that quantity of apps and listed features are more important than how useful the app will be to the user.
    Of course, maybe it's just me. Obviously there are many people loving apps from 4pockets, so maybe I'm just a different target group.

I’m using their noise gate and I’m very happy with it. The harmoniser/soloist has such a delay that it’s absolutely unusable unless you’re after a slap back delay. I agree with the point of 4P apps not being very intuitive but we’re all different so maybe with some it just clicks.

I can see its usefulness as an audio editor but I’m still using Twisted Wave and it works wonderfully despite being the deprecated IAA.

As far as clip launching if it’s true that it is one clip per instance I cannot see how this is going to take off in a meaningful way. People launch clips from the minimum 8x8 launchpad style grids. Can anyone realistically see themselves building a 64 instance Neon monster in AUM or Audiobus? It’s much easier to go with Drambo clip launching patch from patchstorage. I’m not into launching clips myself, are there other AUV3 clip launchers out there? I expect scarcity may be one thing that Neon has going for it, and I guess the built in audio editor if one doesn’t have one already.

• This looks good.

• Does this one support 24-bit recording?