Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beyer DT770/80 and Drambo

edited September 2021 in App Tips and Tricks

For anyone using this combo, here's a little sound correction module that I'm using regularly when working with these headphones.
Makes them sound much more neutral and less boomy IMHO.
https://patchstorage.com/beyerdynamic-dt770-80-ohms-correction/

Comments

• Nice.

I bought the DT770/32 several years back - because at the time I assumed the 32ohm model would be driven more efficiently than the 80 by my iPad Pro when using them on my daily commute.

Obviously, that was pre-covid, and little did I know I would spend the next 18 months working from home!

I just wondered if you knew if the 32ohm model has a slightly different response curve to the 80s (and yes, I do realise I could probably answer this with a Google search)?

• edited September 2021

@tk32 said:
    Nice.

I bought the DT770/32 several years back - because at the time I assumed the 32ohm model would be driven more efficiently than the 80 by my iPad Pro when using them on my daily commute.

Obviously, that was pre-covid, and little did I know I would spend the next 18 months working from home!

I just wondered if you knew if the 32ohm model has a slightly different response curve to the 80s (and yes, I do realise I could probably answer this with a Google search)?

Sorry I don't have any measurement data from the 32 Ohms version. What I did is start from measured response curves I've found online and fine-tuned for my own one (there are always little variations with every sample).
    I didn't go for correcting every tiny imperfection, only the ones that really stand out and it already works very well for my purposes. Much less fatiguing and more neutral.

• Interesting, I have DT770/80 too, but never thought there's something wrong with them. I have had several Sennheisers and some still keeping at hand, have a pair of ATHs at work and trying out headphones every time someone has some new :smiley: but still I am the happiest with DT770 sound. Maybe just a matter of getting used to them, since they're my primary headphones.

• @skrat said:
    Interesting, I have DT770/80 too, but never thought there's something wrong with them. I have had several Sennheisers and some still keeping at hand, have a pair of ATHs at work and trying out headphones every time someone has some new :smiley: but still I am the happiest with DT770 sound. Maybe just a matter of getting used to them, since they're my primary headphones.

I've added a bypass button so you can A/B easily. Try it, I didn't know what I was missing until I've touched the subject :)

• Cool, no need for TB Morphit anymore ;0)

• @rs2000 you are true technological shizizzle! πŸ˜‰πŸ₯³πŸ˜˜πŸ˜Ž

• @cuscolima said:
    Cool, no need for TB Morphit anymore ;0)

@LinearLineman said:
    @rs2000 you are true technological shizizzle! πŸ˜‰πŸ₯³πŸ˜˜πŸ˜Ž

πŸ˜ƒ Thanks guys!

• edited September 2021

Nice.

Man, I got a DT770 based on lots of forum recommendations. bleh. You're right about the need to make an eq adjustment. Mixing headphones my a$$.

I keep trying stuff I see mentioned on The Gear Page, but nothing has beat these modest Sony MDR7506s for neutrality that I bought decades ago on the off handed recommendation of my guitar shop dude. Well at least I have some nice rack of cans for when we record as a group direct/overdub.

I mean, the DT770s do sound nice for listening so I use them, but I bought them for mobile recording/mixing, nah.

• There are plenty of models much worse than the DT770 for mixing, including the ATH-M50X (yes, I said it!)

The reason people stopped moaning about the 7506 is because engineers have used them for so many years they've learnt the signature inside out, and know how to compensate for it.

There are no truly flat headphones.

• @tk32 said:
    There are plenty of models much worse than the DT770 for mixing, including the ATH-M50X (yes, I said it!)

7506 > ATH-M50X for production hands down. Tho maybe with morphit the M50X are usable.

• The 32ohm version of the DT770 to my ears sound less-defined in the low-bass and high-trebles versus the 80ohm version, and slightly louder with mobile devices, but the difference isn't huge, imo.

There are no truly flat headphones.

True, and it depends on the listener. When factory car stereo systems starting getting louder/better in the 1990s, most folks then expected more low-bass and high-treble extension from their headphones and speakers.

Closed-backs with low-impedance and high sensitivity:
    The DT770, ATHM50, HD280Pro...they all have that mid-bass bump (around ~100Hz) which screws up my mixes. I'd recommend the AKG K361/371 over those 3 popular cans, but the two pairs I've had both broke. I've heard good things about the $200 Mackie MC-350, but if they're truly based on the $60 Status Audio CB-1, then those may be worth a look.

Open-backs with low-impedance and high-sensitivity:
    If you prefer flat open-back headphones and also don't like that mid-bass bump that's so common nowadays, try out the HiFiMan cans, especially the new HE400SE for $150. Haven't tried them yet, but the $200 Sennheiser HD560S are supposedly ultra-flat, but I doubt they would work without a headphone amp with an iPad. If you like the mid-bass bump along with deeper sub-bass in an open-back can, the Philips X2HR at $130 is hard to beat, and they sound pretty good plugged directly into an iPad.

@rs2000 Awesome work, as usual!

• With dt 880 you canβ€˜t judge the lows and highs well. Now I use superlux hd 681B ( donβ€˜t laugh). They translate my mixes much better. For listening the dt 880 are good and much more comfortable.