Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeoShred (GeoSWAM) clarinet + Midi controller

Hey all,

I've got GeoShred Pro, a midi controller (AKAI MPK mini).

I guess I am trying to use this keyboard with GeoShred. I always just assumed that was possible. But is it?

I see a message when I tap any key of the Akai.

If I'm not wrong, it sounds particularly like GeoShred are asking you to buy their own keyboard hardware ?? Or, an MPE.

Now I know that you can control SWAM instruments (such as Trumpet n such) using GeoShred's UI...
But what I'm trying to do here is play the Clarinet instrument (IAP in GeoShred). ----as I was unable to buy a clarinet from SWAM audio modeling (they don't make one).

So am I out of luck here with my AKAI for Geo clarinet? Cos if so I might hold off buying their Flute IAP. I don't see why it can't just work.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• You need to configure your AKAI so that it sends MIDI events on channel 2 (not the default 1).

• Hi there,
    I'm not sure how to do that.

I looked under Midi , under Settings (in GeoShred) in that menu, i have selected 'Multi Channel Mode'. (Those are my current settings)

I can't find an area within GeoShred to make it receive on Channel2 (as u suggested).

I have the app 'MidiWrench', on which I selected ' Send on MIDI Channel: 2'.

Hoping that GeoShred my pick that up but no luck.

Have you any advice?

• Hi @SkillipEvolver . It is the Akai side you need to change not GeoShred. By default GS will receive on all channels so you shouldn’t have to change anything there. It is the Channel 1 being sent from the Akai that is causing the issue. Don’t know anything about them so can’t help on that side.

• If MIDI channel can't be changed on the Akai keyboard, then you need a MIDI script running on your iPad which will move incoming MIDI events from channel 1 (your Akai default channel) to channel 2. For that, look at apps such as Streambyter, MidiFire or Mozaic. Good luck !

• @GeoTony said:
    Hi @SkillipEvolver . It is the Akai side you need to change not GeoShred. By default GS will receive on all channels so you shouldn’t have to change anything there. It is the Channel 1 being sent from the Akai that is causing the issue. Don’t know anything about them so can’t help on that side.

Thanks. Although.. I don't understand why GS is having trouble at all (if it's supposed to receive on all channels).

• @Paulo164 said:
    If MIDI channel can't be changed on the Akai keyboard, then you need a MIDI script running on your iPad which will move incoming MIDI events from channel 1 (your Akai default channel) to channel 2. For that, look at apps such as Streambyter, MidiFire or Mozaic. Good luck !

I guess I can look in to these options... I'm pretty confused though. As I mentioned in my other reply, if GS is able to receive on all channels then I'm not sure why changed the AKAI to channel 2 should make a difference.

One thing I've tried already: I have MidiWrench. Which reads midi actions coming in. It manages different midi gadgets you have attached. So I can see my AKAI in the list for example, and I can choose to make it operate on Channel 1, or Channel 2.

But that doesn't seem to make a difference.

• @SkillipEvolver said:

@Paulo164 said:
    If MIDI channel can't be changed on the Akai keyboard, then you need a MIDI script running on your iPad which will move incoming MIDI events from channel 1 (your Akai default channel) to channel 2. For that, look at apps such as Streambyter, MidiFire or Mozaic. Good luck !

I guess I can look in to these options... I'm pretty confused though. As I mentioned in my other reply, if GS is able to receive on all channels then I'm not sure why changed the AKAI to channel 2 should make a difference.

One thing I've tried already: I have MidiWrench. Which reads midi actions coming in. It manages different midi gadgets you have attached. So I can see my AKAI in the list for example, and I can choose to make it operate on Channel 1, or Channel 2.

But that doesn't seem to make a difference.

What I didn’t tell you is that this question has been subject to a long dedicated thread when GeoSwam first came out. So that is how it is and I give here the short story and its associated (and only) workaround.
    Midiwrench doesn’t modify MIDI events, just monitor them, thus won’t be of any help.

• I think channel 1 is some sort of master / control channel. Gavinski’s excellent video explains it from 3:30 onwards albeit not for Akai.

• I've got StreamByter now but must admit don't understand it. Looked at a bit of the info within the app (takes you to a web forum of sorts with lots of stuff). it looks very much like it had been documented by the coder of the app. Sometimes with examples of configs which are very programming language in their syntax.

Are there any basic scripts I can download to achieve what I'm looking for as this looks like it could get complicated, fast.

• I can't find much accessible help on this, can anyone help?

• @SkillipEvolver said:
    I can't find much accessible help on this, can anyone help?

Unfortunately, you must read the online documentation :
    https://audeonic.com/streambyter/manual/

You have some sample codes included in the app (in "factory" scripts) plus some others available on the forum (Streambyter's one, not this one). But only the documentation can allow you to really understand IMHO.

• @SkillipEvolver, @Paulo164 The Audiobus wiki contains a linked list of available StreamByter scripts

• Hi @SkillipEvolver ,

I have been much involved in Streambyter recently, trying to develop my custom scripts.
    So I have become a more advanced user, even though I still have a lot to learn.
    To change your incoming events from channel 1 to channel 2, just type the following rule : N0 = X1

This will reroute all incoming **notes **from channel 1 to channel 2.
    If you want not only notes events but all events to be rerouted, I think the rule is : X0 = X1

Cheers.