Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beautiful DIY Model D Controller

edited September 2021 in Other

I am a huge fan of Moog Model D and I’m using the app a lot. Nothing on iOS beats it regarding these type of sounds Moog is famous for. But I must say that I would really like to have a physical interface to it. I tried to use my Midi controllers but somehow that doesn’t work for me as it is impossible to re-create the original interface workflow properly. I was already considering to buy a Behringer Model D to be able to turn knobs and push buttons instead of touching virtual buttons. But I think now I really found a solution. Anybody knows it and could share the experiences? I’m not a total rookie regarding soldiering but I’m a bit worried if I’ll be able to build this thing properly.

https://github.com/maasijam/model_d_controller

Beautiiiiiiiful, isn’t it

Comments

• I'd be tempted to mod the design and use rocker switches but yes it does look nice :)

• Looks very nice

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I'd be tempted to mod the design and use rocker switches but yes it does look nice :)

Yes yes yes - go for it 😀

• I could picture an extremely expensive vintage looking midi controller for all synths with tons of knobs and switches and buttons. All with a tiny LED screens above each one for custom readouts and presets for different synths.

• I think it could be used for many other synths, too. On github is a linked video where he is using it with Animoog.

• A Teensy - LC is around £15 on Amazon.

• It looks tasty.

• edited September 2021

I can't see where he sells the PCBs and the faceplate. He's posted a BOM, which is the parts list, so that's good but it's the PCBs and faceplate that are the actual thing itself. These -

Ah. The fabrication files for the PCBs are zipped on Github here and he's put a link to a PCB printers in there.

https://docs.easyeda.com/en/PCB/Order-PCB

It looks like a really easy build if you're a noob to soldering or you could have someone build it for you for less than £100.

• Soldering doesn't look too bad on this. Looks like everything is part-through-hole, so no tiny little SMD stuff. You could socket all the IC's, but from the BOM those all look to be pretty tough and inexpensive parts. Lots of switches though. Those are a bit difficult to solder without a good iron, especially if several of them share a ground connection. They can hold a bit of heat so a good iron helps with keeping the temperature stable.

Those are pretty big boards. The Gerbers indicate about 200 x 110 mm. That could get pretty pricey for a single order. The switches are probably the next big cost -- good switches are expensive.

• I'd rather watch out for a second hand MFB Synth 2.

• Really admire his ingenuity and passion but personally have no interest in a Micro D controller. A Zeeon on the other hand. :)

• @jonmoore said:
    Really admire his ingenuity and passion but personally have no interest in a Micro D controller. A Zeeon on the other hand. :)

If you know a bit about electronics and your way around Arduino code this could easily be made for Zeeon.

• @cyberheater said:

@jonmoore said:
    Really admire his ingenuity and passion but personally have no interest in a Micro D controller. A Zeeon on the other hand. :)

If you know a bit about electronics and your way around Arduino code this could easily be made for Zeeon.

I know. Having home built a small army of Mutible Instruments gear before they went Eurorack, I'm confident enough with a soldering iron. And the kids have made sure I've dabbled with Arduino.

It was simply a flippant comment. :)

• Recommended Soldering Iron:
    TS100 or TS80P
    Digital controls
    Programmable
    Cartridge tips
    USB power
    400 degree top temp

Unless the parts you’re soldering are huge heat sinks these are great for electronic hobbyists. Small portable and inexpensive too. 60-110 USD

• edited September 2021

If you really want something to play a software Model D with and you're not too worried about it being like for like then you could do worse than an MS-20iC. You can pick one up for around £100 if you take your time on eBay. I love mine, works like a charm.

• This is really what you want:
    A True MiniMoog Midi Controller :)

http://www.synth-project.de/animoog.html

• @ashh said:
    If you really want something to play a software Model D with and you're not too worried about it being like for like then you could do worse than an MS-20iC. You can pick one up for around £100 if you take your time on eBay. I love mine, works like a charm.

Now if only Korg would rewrite iMS20 to be as authentic an emulation as Odyssei. In the meantime, I'll stick to my MS20 reissue. :)

• What is the building version of GAS?
    Sh*t is addictive and I end up building more than making tunes

• @jonmoore said:

@ashh said:

Now if only Korg would rewrite iMS20 to be as authentic an emulation as Odyssei. In the meantime, I'll stick to my MS20 reissue. :)

I have the Odyssei but haven’t really bothered with it much yet. I feel like it’s a bit too much for me right now. I have tried the Korg MS-20 PC emulation and the iMS-20 and I prefer the PC version but I couldn’t tell you why. That said, neither of them really captures the proper grunt of a hardware MS-20.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    What is the building version of GAS?

For real, I was going nuts on it for a minute. It’s so cool making a piece of gear that you customized and getting to try out different caps to see what it all sounds like

• @ashh Get stuck into it when you feel in the mood. It really is a properly ace emulation that has just as much bite as the Korg remake hardware. My only real gripe with it is that the sliders are oversensitive even on an iPad Pro 12.9in because the slider throw is too short, but it is managable.

• I’m seriously thinking about building this thing. I checked out the PCB service mentioned by the developer and I could get 5 sets of boards, which is the minimum order, for about 50 USD. Obviously I don’t need and I don’t want to build 5 controllers. Anybody interested? Shipping from Germany to your country must be added.

• edited September 2021

@Fingolfinzz said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    What is the building version of GAS?

For real, I was going nuts on it for a minute. It’s so cool making a piece of gear that you customized and getting to try out different caps to see what it all sounds like

I basically do controllers to avoid value jumps (and ergonomics). But everytime i start a new project, i say to myself, one day this will be rendered a waste when Jonatan implements HUI or something. I have a bunch of motorized faders coming now.... facepalm.jpg

• @ashh said:

That's a good idea.

I had a look on a EBay and the prices have doubled.
    I'll keep an eye out for one.

Does it play well with iOS?

• I've built a lot of controllers using a MIDI CPU (now obsolete), and more recently a Teensy Arduino. But mine always look more like a cardboard box with duct tape and magic marker labels. That is a beautiful controller...

• @soundog said:
    I've built a lot of controllers using a MIDI CPU (now obsolete), and more recently a Teensy Arduino. But mine always look more like a cardboard box with duct tape and magic marker labels. That is a beautiful controller...

Yeah mine dont look great and never labeled. Usually use old network switches for enclosures and drill what i need. Sucker for 19" rack format.
    By the time its panel designing time, im over it and onto the next one.

• I really should just make a teensy box with just inouts and have it remember values and save banks. And just use off the shelf controllers.

• This guy is incredible. You need to take a look at his instagram. He created so many devices. Currently he seems to work on a modular desktop system and already finished quite a number of modules. This is absolutely awesome.

https://www.instagram.com/maasijam/

I love this 8 track step sequencer that he adjusted to his modular system.

• @Gravitas said:

@ashh said:

That's a good idea.

@Gravitas said:

@ashh said:

That's a good idea.

There are buy it now sellers who have it out there for around £200 but I assume they've just bought one to sell for a profit. Those sellers were selling them for that price when I bought mine for £115 and I'd previously seen one go for £95.

Yeah they play fine with iOS. It is a lot of fun with the actual iMS-20 app and very good as a midi controller for anything else.

• A cheaper/easier alternative is to grab a $50 Evolution xSession or UC-16 midi controller, print out a template, apply double-sided tape then midi-learn away: