Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BG Extasy Boutique Amplifier by Nembrini Audio

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1582016703

Description:

Every now and then, a new classic is born, they come in the shape of a revisited classic or a whole new world with monster tone and myriads of options, with its 3 distinctly voiced channels morphing past, present and future tones.

BG Extasy Boutique Guitar Amplifier is meticulously modelled on the Bogner Ecstasy* 101B head guitar amplifier.

Nembrini Audio has carefully reproduced the incredible tone and versatility of this famous boutique guitar amplifier, being one of the most desirable guitar amps on the market today. We have also extended the possibilities of the original hardware thanks to the versatility of the digital world with new features for the maximum control of your tone:

• 3 channel all tube design
  • Ch 1: gain, bass, middle, treble and volume control
  • Ch 1: 3 position pre eq and gain boost
  • Ch 2: gain, volume and 3 position pre eq
  • Ch 3: gain, volume and 3 position pre eq
  • Ch 2/3: common bass, middle and treble controls
  • Ch 2/3: common gain-structure, gain boost and plexi mode switch
  • Dual assignable presence controls with excursion switches for loose and tight feel
  • optimized Noise Gate

The BG Extasy Boutique guitar amplifier plugin includes a complete recording chain emulation and our custom design noise gate circuit.

Works as a standalone app, AudioUnit v3 effect, or Inter-App Audio effect

Legal Disclaimer:
Ecstasy is a registered trademark of Bogner Amplification. BG Extasy was developed by Nembrini Audio SRL based on its own modelling techniques. Bogner Amplification has not endorsed nor sponsored the BG Extasy in any manner, nor licensed any intellectual property for use in this product.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 9.3
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Insta-buy! Great cleans on channel 1, the famous channel 2 textured hard rock sound with plenty of thick tight gain, and channel 3 for highest gain and Metal. There’s also an assignable Plexi mode which sounds vintage amazing, it’s a low gain Plexi mode, slightly raspy and fuzzy, truly reminiscent of late 60s early 70s tone. All of this makes for an extremely versatile amp that will please everyone, cleans, metal, vintage, modern. This emulation is extremely authentic and faithful to the original hardware. I’m surprised it’s not a Bogner authorized sim.

There a lot of peculiar knobs and voicings in this amp, and a slight learning curve. I’ve attached the manual here and it is excellent, very helpful to know what everything does.

I recommend keeping the Bass knob at or below 12 o’clock. Many of the presets have the Bass knob all the way maxed, and it’s overkill. It adds too much rumble, not just bass. So whether playing presets or tweaking, keep the bass knob reasonable. There’s also an “Excursion A/B” toggle in the “master” section, setting those to “L” also brings a lot of bass, so I recommend setting to those toggles to “T”. Read the manual to fully unlock the breadth of this amp.

• Thank. you for including the manual @JoyceRoadStudios, I was searching for it before reading this thread. You read my mind!

• it sounds very good with the seacow cabs includes but there isn't any ir loader in the ios version. It's a very bad surprise!

• @JoyceRoadStudios: What cab IRs are you using with this beast? I’m guessing the Ownhamer Zillas, no?

• Demo coming soon!

• This is fantastic. Just what I have been after: noisy, idiosyncratic, CRSIP, ragged, wonderful. It's like the revelation in a studio where a Marshall stack sounds anemic but this overdriven National amp with the 6-inch speaker and no back just ROARS. Immediately I found a preset that demanded I play the riff from Pavement's "Silence Kit."

• @norando said:
    it sounds very good with the seacow cabs includes but there isn't any ir loader in the ios version. It's a very bad surprise!

Was thinking about trying a Nembrini amp and this one appeals to me at the intro price, but no ir loader?

• @MadeofWax said:

@norando said:
    it sounds very good with the seacow cabs includes but there isn't any ir loader in the ios version. It's a very bad surprise!

Was thinking about trying a Nembrini amp and this one appeals to me at the intro price, but no ir loader?

None of the Nembrini apps have generalized IR loader. They have some built-in IRs but don't let you use your own. There has been a general consensus (fwiw) that the IRs are ok but that commercial IRs (like the ones from Ownhammer) are better. I think the VOX might be the only one that I ever use without a third party IR loaded into THAFKNAR (you can use the convolution app of your choice).

• @espiegel123 said:

@MadeofWax said:

@norando said:

None of the Nembrini apps have generalized IR loader. They have some built-in IRs but don't let you use your own. There has been a general consensus (fwiw) that the IRs are ok but that commercial IRs (like the ones from Ownhammer) are better. I think the VOX might be the only one that I ever use without a third party IR loaded into THAFKNAR (you can use the convolution app of your choice).

I have impulsation and lots of ir files. I've used them with Crunk, the free Nembrini amp. Just thought the paid versions would come with an ir loader. Guess not. Might still take a flyer on it. So many people here swear by the Nembrini amps.

• @norando said:

Easy to solve:

I actually prefer the IR outside the app as I can keep the IR I'm using but swap out the amp plugin if I like without changing anything. Thafknar is a tiny bit obtuse as to how you import IR's, but once you figure that out, it just does what it says it should. Impulsation has more spit 'n polish (but doesn't do all that Thafknar apparently does for true stereo IRs).

• I have a f’ing Fender Princeton Reverb amp and I still buy everything from Nembrini lol

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I have a f’ing Fender Princeton Reverb amp and I still buy everything from Nembrini lol

I have a 6505 and a 5150 and I have most of the Nembrinis. I leave out the overlapping products.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This is fantastic. Just what I have been after: noisy, idiosyncratic, CRSIP, ragged, wonderful. It's like the revelation in a studio where a Marshall stack sounds anemic but this overdriven National amp with the 6-inch speaker and no back just ROARS. Immediately I found a preset that demanded I play the riff from Pavement's "Silence Kit."

Pavement?. 🙌 Here’s me thinking this was some boring hard-rock amp and you bring up this!. What’s the preset?. I need a good start 😬

• @wim said:

@norando said:

Easy to solve:

I actually prefer the IR outside the app as I can keep the IR I'm using but swap out the amp plugin if I like without changing anything. Thafknar is a tiny bit obtuse as to how you import IR's, but once you figure that out, it just does what it says it should. Impulsation has more spit 'n polish (but doesn't do all that Thafknar apparently does for true stereo IRs).

I’d like to settle this at some point or another. In my probably simplistic and ignorant mind, an IR loader loads IRs. And Impulsation’s UI is 10000 times nicer. Thafknar in comparison makes 4pockets apps look like MOMA works of art. Why would I want to use Thafknar over Impulsation?. You mention stereo, I’m basically using it for guitar cabs , Ownhammer stuff. I must be missing something. Cheers!

• @tahiche said:

@wim said:

@norando said:

Easy to solve:

I’d like to settle this at some point or another. In my probably simplistic and ignorant mind, an IR loader loads IRs. And Impulsation’s UI is 10000 times nicer. Thafknar in comparison makes 4pockets apps look like MOMA works of art. Why would I want to use Thafknar over Impulsation?. You mention stereo, I’m basically using it for guitar cabs , Ownhammer stuff. I must be missing something. Cheers!

I don't have Impulsation, but I know that THAFKNAR has some nifty optimizations and can load two IRs in a preset (nice when using a close mic IR and room IR). It might not be pretty but it does what it is supposed to well and when using cab IRs, you arent likely to spend much time in the plugin.

When it comes to using it to load reverb IRs, being able to do true stereo or have control over whether the plugin does split mono or mixes the inputs is pretty useful.

• @tahiche said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This is fantastic. Just what I have been after: noisy, idiosyncratic, CRSIP, ragged, wonderful. It's like the revelation in a studio where a Marshall stack sounds anemic but this overdriven National amp with the 6-inch speaker and no back just ROARS. Immediately I found a preset that demanded I play the riff from Pavement's "Silence Kit."

Pavement?. 🙌 Here’s me thinking this was some boring hard-rock amp and you bring up this!. What’s the preset?. I need a good start 😬

Not in front of the ipad now but it’s something with “clean” in the name. My favorite Nembrini amp so far. And I haven’t even really tweaked or added any pedals yet.

• wimwim
    edited August 2021

@tahiche said:

@wim said:

@norando said:

Easy to solve:

Thafknar $2.99, Impulsation $13.99. If the looks of the thing are worth the difference to someone then no reason to go with Thafknar other than the stereo processing thing that I haven't bothered to try to understand. Me? I don't give a rat's ass what it looks like as long as it works. And it does.

Just putting the info out there so that people with varying priorities can make an informed decision. If I just posted the two apps with pricing, then the next question would be "what is it about Impulsation that makes it worth the higher price".

• @wim said:

@tahiche said:

@wim said:

@norando said:

Easy to solve:

Thafknar $2.99, Impulsation $13.99. If the looks of the thing are worth the difference to someone then no reason to go with Thafknar other than the stereo processing thing that I haven't bothered to try to understand. Me? I don't give a rat's ass what it looks like as long as it works. And it does.

Just putting the info out there so that people with varying priorities can make an informed decision. If I just posted the two apps with pricing, then the next question would be "what is it about Impulsation that makes it worth the higher price".

I got Impulsation on sale, the difference in price is certainly a defining factor. At these regular prices I’d give up on the “looks” too!. I totally overlooked that.
    Wonder about the stereo processing, what the difference is, use case and if it affects the usual “guitar cab” scenario in any way.

• I too have them both, but got started with Thafknar because it's universal and Impulsation wasn't until not too long ago. Now I'm in the habit, so it's the first thing I reach for.

• @tahiche said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Second that, what preset? CRCR's my fav Pavement album. Eager to try it with a Jazzmaster.

• @eylvy said:

@tahiche said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Second that, what preset? CRCR's my fav Pavement album. Eager to try it with a Jazzmaster.

Using the "Nice Clean" preset with a G&L Telecaster on the saddle pickup, I immediately wanted to play "Silence Kid." (You can play the opening riff in standard tuning, but it turns out it's in some weird DADABD variation and it took me 20 minutes of hunting for the next chord before I realized it.)

I must also confess that the Fat Clean preset made me want to play Smashing Pumpkins' "Let Me Out." I realize my indie-rock bona fides take a hit here, but what a song. lol

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I have a f’ing Fender Princeton Reverb amp and I still buy everything from Nembrini lol

@Ailerom said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

I have a 6505 and a 5150 and I have most of the Nembrinis. I leave out the overlapping products.

Lucky bastidz…

I have a Peavy Bandit Red Stripe “Trans-Tube” …so yeah, I bought the Nembrinis 🤙

• @espiegel123: I have the OH bundle that has True Stereo IRs. Are those what I should use in Thafknar or the Mono ones?

Is there an advantage to higher bit rates? My interface will do 96k.

• @SNystrom said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios: What cab IRs are you using with this beast? I’m guessing the Ownhamer Zillas, no?

Yes the OH Zillas, I use any of the three SS (sweet spot) IRs from the summary folder.

Also the OH Vox AC15/AC30 mix IR, sweet spot from the summary folder. Regardless of genre this has been my favorite IR, lots of upper mids energy, clarity, smooth warmth. The Zillas have more lower mids, so I use those when I need something darker hued. These two are my go-to IRs depending on the tone I need.

• Nice! Thanks for the Vox tip.

• Still have not had time to play with it.
    Tomorrow...

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    @espiegel123: I have the OH bundle that has True Stereo IRs. Are those what I should use in Thafknar or the Mono ones?

For cabinet IRs, I use mono IRs since that is how I would mic a cabinet. Btw, in convolution, true stereo requires four channels of IR (which are sometimes provided as two stereo files or four mono files or one four channel file).

Btw, an IR that is a stereo file is not a stereo-to-stereo IR, it is a mono-to-stereo IR.

As for sample rate, use an IR based on what you normally use. Keep in mind that more convolution channels means higher CPU load as does higher sample rate.

• edited August 2021

@bobbyj8866 said:
    @espiegel123: I have the OH bundle that has True Stereo IRs. Are those what I should use in Thafknar or the Mono ones?

Generally you should use the 200ms mono IRs, even if you output your interface to stereo. The 200ms mono IRs are recreating the set-up of one microphone set super up close to a cab, so the traditional way in the studio. This is in a way the industry standard. Thafknar now allows for two IRs to be loaded and mixed together, in th-u you can load two IRs as well. This would be a dual mono IR mixed and outputted to stereo. Another thing you can do of course, depending on your interface and DAW, is run two IRs but left and right, so like a stereo set up with a different IR on each side. But I digress. The True Stereo IRs are 500ms, so they’re recreating 2 mics set up a little further from the amp, capturing more of the cabinet in the room. It’s sort of like how you close mic a kick and snare vs having two room mics get the overheads and cymbals sounding wet from the room. Except in the case of IRs, nearly not as extreme. I can barely tell a difference between 200ms and 500ms, except with high gain where I find 200ms sounds more precise. Thafknar is the only app that can load true stereo I think, but in any case I stick with the 200ms monos because I want just a close micd cab. I can imagine certain dual amp rigs or chains with actual stereo effects, could sound interesting with more of the room reflections that a 500ms provides.

A higher bit rate like 96kHz and 128 gets you slightly lower latency when playing sims or recording, but with most good apps 44.1kHz 128 buffer, latency is already undetectable. Try running a Nembrini amp standalone and go to audio settings, change around the latency and buffer to get a latency reading, and see if you can hear any difference. Running in 96kHz takes more processing power and those recorded files take a lot more space. However, I find that 96kHz can sound warmer and clearer in the upper mids and highs, but maybe only better by 1% or less. That 1% in tone is not worth it to me if it means having a file twice as big or negligible latency improvement.

So for playing with amp sims, 44.1kHZ 128 buffer is more than good enough, and for that you load a 44.1kHz IR. It is important to sample match your IR to your project, according to OwnHammer. So don’t run a 44.1 or 96kHz IR in a 48kHz project, apparently there could be a frequency shift some place.

Important to note, many people recommend recording projects at 96kHz. When you’re using, audio, midi, complex plug-ins like FabFilter, etc… even if the file takes up more room, you want the project in 96kHz to preserve as much headroom and transient as you can, so you can downsample later. Better than having to upsample. Many people don’t care and record at 44.1/48 and it doesn’t make much difference, but if your project has complex synths, apps that can oversample, lots of moving parts, do it in 96kHZ for the best audio quality results. So in that case, you’re running a guitar sim in 96kHz and therefore your loaded IR should also be 96kHz. Some will say this is too picky, but I like knowing everything is matched.

24 bit 44.1kHz has been a standard forever in recording, some people swear by 24 bit 96kHz. Both options have merit. Just match your IR sample rate to your daw project or amp sim, that is all.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@bobbyj8866 said:

Generally you should use the 200ms mono IRs, even if you output your interface to stereo. The 200ms mono IRs are recreating the set-up of one microphone set super up close to a cab, so the traditional way in the studio. This is in a way the industry standard. Thafknar now allows for two IRs to be loaded and mixed together, in th-u you can load two IRs as well. This would be a dual mono IR mixed and outputted to stereo. Another thing you can do of course, depending on your interface and DAW, is run two IRs but left and right, so like a stereo set up with a different IR on each side. But I digress. The True Stereo IRs are 500ms, so they’re recreating 2 mics set up a little further from the amp, capturing more of the cabinet in the room. It’s sort of like how you close mic a kick and snare vs having two room mics get the overheads and cymbals sounding wet from the room. Except in the case of IRs, nearly not as extreme. I can barely tell a difference between 200ms and 500ms, except with high gain where I find 200ms sounds more precise. Thafknar is the only app that can load true stereo I think, but in any case I stick with the 200ms monos because I want just a close micd cab. I can imagine certain dual amp rigs or chains with actual stereo effects, could sound interesting with more of the room reflections that a 500ms provides.

A higher bit rate like 96kHz and 128 gets you slightly lower latency when playing sims or recording, but with most good apps 44.1kHz 128 buffer, latency is already undetectable. Try running a Nembrini amp standalone and go to audio settings, change around the latency and buffer to get a latency reading, and see if you can hear any difference. Running in 96kHz takes more processing power and those recorded files take a lot more space. However, I find that 96kHz can sound warmer and clearer in the upper mids and highs, but maybe only better by 1% or less. That 1% in tone is not worth it to me if it means having a file twice as big or negligible latency improvement.

So for playing with amp sims, 44.1kHZ 128 buffer is more than good enough, and for that you load a 44.1kHz IR. It is important to sample match your IR to your project, according to OwnHammer. So don’t run a 44.1 or 96kHz IR in a 48kHz project, apparently there could be a frequency shift some place.

Important to note, many people recommend recording projects at 96kHz. When you’re using, audio, midi, complex plug-ins like FabFilter, etc… even if the file takes up more room, you want the project in 96kHz to preserve as much headroom and transient as you can, so you can downsample later. Better than having to upsample. Many people don’t care and record at 44.1/48 and it doesn’t make much difference, but if your project has complex synths, apps that can oversample, lots of moving parts, do it in 96kHZ for the best audio quality results. So in that case, you’re running a guitar sim in 96kHz and therefore your loaded IR should also be 96kHz. Some will say this is too picky, but I like knowing everything is matched.

FWIW, OH's terminology is confusing. They create 'true stereo' output when the source is a mono signal. If your input signal is stereo, they aren't true stereo since true stereo output from a stereo input requires four channels of IR.

• Thanks for all of that! I had set my AUM and all guitar apps to 48k and am using 48k mono OH IRS now. Seems to work well.