Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Workflow discussion

I would like to talk a little bit about workflow

I'm really excited about all the new stuff that's happening with iOS and music production!

But... Everytime I start to make music with different apps I find myself losing inspiration quite quickly because I spend more time setting things up (with MIDI and audiobus) than actually creating music.

What are your workflow? Have you found a quick fluid way to work? Any ideas for improvement?

Comments

• Don't play with the apps before you set up.

1) Decide what apps to use and how to use them.

2) Set everything up so that you're ready to record, play back and build on the results.

3) Start noodling and having fun.

4) Get inspired.

5) Record it.

6) Repeat steps 3 to 5 until finished.

• My musical inspirations usually come from the sounds themselves so a little noodling around in different apps isn't really a bad thing for me.

As for actual workflow, I try to stick with one DAW which right now is Cubasis. (Also have Multitrack, GarageBand, Music Studio).

If the song idea was inspired from a sound patch from a different app, I start recording some ideas either through audio copy/paste or audiobus if it's supported.

Once the basic idea gets recorded I start to hear in my head what other instruments are needed and one by one bring them in. ie iFretless through audiobus, SampleTank horns through audio copy/paste, piano internally from Cubasis etc.

Sometimes I'll record all the backing tracks using Cubasis instruments then later send their respective midi out parts to other apps and replace.

• I often record directly into Loopy and build on the layers with different apps. I then export or copy and paste to Auria for the final mix etc.

• I've only done this a few times, but I hit record before I start playing around.

• edited March 2014

• I did a song the other day which i started by setting up the chords and feel in Yamaha's Mobile Music Seq, with some melodic elements in that as well. I then moved the stereo mixdown of that into VocaLive where I addd vocals, mixed down again and moved that to Cubasis where I added more solos and a couple of FX, some via Audiobus. Final mix. I would not have planned it that way from the outset, it just happened!

• I wasn't saying that you should never play and follow your muse as it happens, only that if your problem is loss of inspiration due to having to stop the flow in order to set stuff up, then you should make sure that you set it all up first, and then get creative with what you've already got working.

• Thanks for all the great tips!

I think I'm a little spoiled from being a Maschine user where everything just flows and music making is a process without any interruptions... I think there is something missing in the whole iOS music making ecology.

First of all I think audiobus should be built in to the apps somehow, so you could load Animoog inside beatmaker 2 and all the midi connections and audio connections are done automatically

Presets also need to be synced with projects somehow so when you're opening a project in beatmaker or cubasis all previous background apps opens up in the same state they where when the project was saved...

I wish I was a developer so that I could help out working on this kind of stuff instead of just complaining when all the app makers in fact are doing an incredible job!

But I can't help help feeling that I would like to use all these fantastic apps in a more streamlined way... Guess I need to be patient and hope for a future filled with more innovation like audiobus! :)

• And all these great controller apps like musix pro, arpegionome pro, beatsurfing, gestrument etc. should be considered inside this ecology as well

Imagine if it worked like this:
    You open up a special audiobus track in beatmaker (cubasis or any other daw), on this track you have the option to load any audiobus compatible app, then you have the option to choose which app that should control the loaded app...

• edited March 2013

"Presets also need to be synced with projects somehow so when you're opening a project in beatmaker or cubasis all previous background apps opens up in the same state they where when the project was saved..."

^ this

• @syrupcore agreed. That would be the next huge step for me, even more than Audiobus taking control of midi functions.