Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using a Fishman Tripleplay with Hardware synth module

I am using a Tripleplay (wireless version) in parallel with my 'normal' guitar rig. So I am building a system with two separate components - and the Synth side is where I need some advice. I have a MacBook with tripleplay installed (although their legacy library refuses to work) which has lots of soft synths I am able to access (Omnisphere/Synthmaster etc) but I am thinking of using a hardware Roland JV-2080 module or similar in place of the soft synths. To make the tripleplay dongle 'talk' to the module, I think I need to have either a Fishman FC-1 foot switch (hosts the dongle and connects to any midi device via standard midi cable) or via a small interface through the MacBook. Anyone have experience of this? I would also want a midi controller footswitch to control patches and offer real-time control over tones and stacked sounds as I play. I think the Roland FC-300 looks good although it is a big unit to lug about. I am a former pro guitarist, toured all over and recorded in some top studios, so I know my stuff with trad guitar rigs, but I am a complete newbie with the midi stuff - any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• edited August 2021

I don't have the TriplePlay but it appears that the only way to get traditional 5-pin DIN MIDI ports without a computer and MIDI interface in-between is with FC-1?

Otherwise, with a computer in-between, you could get a USB MIDI interface, and use your DAW to route MIDI.

Or you could forget about the USB MIDI interface and get a synth module with a USB MIDI jack, and use your DAW to route MIDI. I believe the XV-2020/5050 were the first from Roland to have those, but you should verify that it still works with your computer's OS.

Links to USB MIDI interfaces:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c677--MIDI_Interfaces
    https://www.perfectcircuit.com/midi-controllers-sequencers/midi-interfaces.html
    (The Nektar MIDIFLEX4 and MOTU Micro Lite are good for the money, but the old M-Audio MIDISport interfaces can be had for cheap used).

Links to Foot & Pedalboard MIDI Controllers:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c513--Foot__and__Pedalboard_MIDI_Controllers?sb=popular
    https://www.perfectcircuit.com/midi-controllers-sequencers/foot-controllers.html
    (The FC-300 doesn't have a USB MIDI port, but several do).

• Just to say, @ocelot, that is a v kind post.

• Thanks very much - yes I think the options you suggest are the only realistic ways to achieve what I want... I am doing okay using the DAW in my iMac with the software synths - and they work very well. I am not over keen to have to take a computer of any variety onstage (if we ever get out playing again) and this is why I am investigating a hardware rig centred around a Synth Module. I am torn over going with a used Roland JV unit (which are no longer available new) or to take a flying leap into the Roland Integra-7 ..... which is a lot of money to shell out on an experiment - and even these units are now a decade old design -wise. The Fishman footswitch does solve the interface difficulty - but doesn't give much control over the module. I will check out the links you kindly provided for midi foot controllers! Thanks again ocelot

• You should be able to get a healthy discount on the Integra from one of the big retailers, and I bet you know a guy too.
    And Roland has an iPad app for the Integra, but recent reviews don't look good, as it hasn't been updated in years.

It's sad that here in 2021, the only multitimbral rack synth on the market is the Integra. Plenty of desktop synths though, but not too many that are multitimbral.

If you're experimenting, why not use a recent iPad with an AUv3 plugin host like Audiobus or AUM, plus the myriad of powerful (and inexpensive) synth and effects AUv3 plugins that are now available? Moog, Korg, Eventide, Arturia, Audio Damage, VirSyn, IK, Synthmaster are on the platform now, plus many smaller developers that make excellent AUv3 plugins.

Plus there are many MIDI routers, filters, and processor AUv3 plugins for the iPad, not mention a few decent DAWs, and next-gen AUv3 guitar amp modelers, like THU and Nembrini.

Grab yourself a USB audio + MIDI interface that's class-compliant (like a MOTU M4, SSL 2+), an Apple CCK3, a powered USB hub, and along with the iPad (the $329 iPad 8th-gen is plenty powerful), you've got an inexpensive portable rig.

There's a lot of options (too many really), so feel free to ask. Lots of apps to avoid as well.

• @ashh said:
    Just to say, @ocelot, that is a v kind post.

Thanks ashh, I like vegan kinebud too.

• edited August 2021

If you're going down the hardware synth route you simply need a MIDI interface to get the MIDI from the FTP via the computer to the external synth. I have a couple of original FTP-equipped guitars stuck in storage on the other side of the pandemic-stricken world sadly out of reach for now. I never used the hardware footswitch unit that you can plug the dongle into as it seemed kind of superfluous to me.

However, I had a major RFI problem on the last gig I used the FTP on and after that, they were relegated to home-studio use so I could remain employable as a musician.

Honestly, after years on guitar synth I'd unlikely go over to hardware. Software is so much more flexible, easy to set up and you don't need to worry about routing audio back in via yet another interface just to be able to monitor it.

Of course, this all depends on your personal tastes and if you're recording or building a live rig.

The Roland UM-One Mk.2 is a robust and well-supported USB-to-5-pin MIDI interface I can recommend but an integrated Audio/MIDI interface might suit your needs better.

BTW, the previous poster kind of alluded to this but if you have a MacBook as your main computer, USB to an iOS device give you IDAM -- lots of iOS synths are pretty damn neat and guitar synth friendly.

• edited August 2021

Thanks guys - last week I dug out a faulty MacBook pro I had previously replaced, and had it repaired (new keyboard) and have since spent hours and hours trying to make the Tripleplay software (newly installed on the MacBook) upload the 'legacy library' I have all these sounds on my main studio iMac, but they just will not work (they're showing up in the library but in bright red colour) on the MacBook - so I got cross and decided I didn't want to be at the mercy of a computer in a live situation.
    On top of all that hassle, loads of the sound bundles Fishman were previously including in the deal are 'no longer supported' but apparently 'still needed'... do you think Fishman are slowly walking away from the tripleplay concept - is it going to be faded out? The East West sound packs are no longer available. It could be fantastic, but I'm finding hurdles to jump at every turn trying to make it all work. I quite like the iPad suggestion - but am reluctant to buy an iPad only to find half of the tripleplay library doesn't load or work. I already have a Roland UM-1 - but the usb dongle needs powering so won't connect direct to a module without an active interface. The adventure continues....
    Okay - brief diversion... if I had a fishman FC 1 foot controller, would it talk to a roland GR55 guitar synth unit...via normal 5 pin midi? I don't want the Roland 13 pin cable or pickup (I have one already but it is not as good as the tripleplay) But if I could make the tripleplay jump into bed with the GR55 I'd be all ears.

• Hiya! I am happily rockin' the Tripleplay with the FC-1 and it works very well to control anything with a standard midi cable. In fact I have never even used their application. I go midi in to a variety of Presonus audio midi interfaces to play ios apps - Viking Synth works very well, as do all the Yonac apps, Streetlytron pro is a whole trip (Mellotron noises out of a guitar is really fun), and Layr can do midi channel per string. No issues whatever, besides the occasional need to erase stray triggered notes in seqencers like Atom, or Xequence. I also love triggering a Roland mc505, a Novation Circuit, and my fave an Alesis Micron (which is 4 part multitimbral too - use a footswitch or the front panel to change channels!). As far as foot pedals, the best I have yet found is the Morningstar Mc8. The McMillan Softstep seemed very promising, but I found that the more tangible switches on the Morningstar made it much easier to be accurate.

Who knows what Fishmans plan is, I don't suppose guitar synth is a big part of their sales, but so what - it works great (once paired with the FC-1) and it's wireless, and a lot of fun - enjoy every synth in the world except theirs! Ciao!

• Thanks for the info! - I'll check out some of the apps you mention :)

• maby interesting if you want to know more about th FC-1 foot controller look on you tube about explanation about this controller. look on if you want more detailed info cause some thing are not described in the Manuel and here it is explained very well

• youtube.com/watch?v=3acWAWPwywl