Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help required… CC automation of xxxBuds

I am trying to CC automate key and scale changes in SnakeBud and ScaleBud.
The only thing (I think) I have that sends CC is StepBud.
If I create a bespoke Midi CC channel e.g. CC10 in StepBud, set some values, point it at SnakeBud via the Midi control, set Scale to Channel 1, CC10 then it works fine I.e. it selects a Scale appropriate to the CC value.
If I point StepBud at ScaleBud, set Scale Type Index to Channel 1, CC10 then nothing happens… except… if I manually select a scale type through the UI to a value other than the default of Major e.g. Dorian then when StepBud next ‘steps’ the scale type goes back to Major so some sort of message is getting through.

Is the word ‘Index’ significant? Can anybody help? any assistance greatly appreciated.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited August 2021

Step bud sends values every single step. I suspect you're setting one step to the value you need and not touching the other steps. However, those steps you haven't touched are going to be sending value 0. Probably what you need to do is mute all the steps but the one you're using by tapping the number above each step.

• Note for @cem_olcay - I notice that when I mute steps, note-off is still sent for every step. That's a bug and could mess with certain apps that don't handle unmatched note events well.

Also, is there any way to have a step active but to have it not send a note? In this case, the OP is only concerned with sending a single CC, but every step that sends a CC is also going to send a note.

• Thanks for your suggestions @wim. I have tried setting all steps in an 8 step sequence to valid values and also setting one step and muting the other 7. Same result I.e. something gets through but it just resets whatever I have manually changed back to whatever the default is I.e. not the value set in StepBud. Hope this makes sense…

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks for your suggestions @wim. I have tried setting all steps in an 8 step sequence to valid values and also setting one step and muting the other 7. Same result I.e. something gets through but it just resets whatever I have manually changed back to whatever the default is I.e. not the value set in StepBud. Hope this makes sense…

The best thing to do is to send the Step Bud output to the free midiSpy app to see what you're getting. Also, be sure to disable "Sends Modulation", "Sends Pitch Bend", and "Sends Portamento".

Come to think of it, "Sends Modulation" is probably the issue. With that enabled, you'll get a CC0 on every step.

• Also you must hold down number at top of each step and remove any notes assigned to that step, so it only sends cc and not both note and cc. I made a few cc templates in step bud, saved as presets then just use those.

• @wim said:

@GeoTony said:
    Thanks for your suggestions @wim. I have tried setting all steps in an 8 step sequence to valid values and also setting one step and muting the other 7. Same result I.e. something gets through but it just resets whatever I have manually changed back to whatever the default is I.e. not the value set in StepBud. Hope this makes sense…

The best thing to do is to send the Step Bud output to the free midiSpy app to see what you're getting. Also, be sure to disable "Sends Modulation", "Sends Pitch Bend", and "Sends Portamento".

Come to think of it, "Sends Modulation" is probably the issue. With that enabled, you'll get a CC0 on every step.

Yes this too.

• Boy you guys know how to get my hopes up… I think I have done everything you have both kindly suggested… see attached screenshot. Still the same results I.e. something gets through to ScaleBud but it just resets to the default Key, Scale etc. Unless I am cracking up I also get similar results on SnakeBud on channels other then Channel 10. Obviously haven’t tried every channel) Note the M2 instance is just a duplicate of M1 to show I have removed the notes (from M1) as per @Poppadocrock suggestion (I had been wondering how to do that as well so that is a great tip)

• I can change ScaleBud AU parameters with the built-in AUM control

But I think there's something wrong with the MIDI CC to AU Parameter mapping, I need to check it out.

• Many thanks @cem_olcay , also thanks for highlighting the AUM control trick… didn’t know that👌