Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Who is the MPC for? Who is it NOT for?

I’ve been seeing a lot of love on the web lately for the Akai MPC.

So who is it for? And who is it NOT for?

FYI, I’ve had the OP1 for a few years. And I play bass, guitar, and synth. Play some basic keys as well. And I have tons of iPad apps.

Started writing songs last year. And I am starting to actually understand the differences between inspiration, music sketching, composition, performing, mixing, and production.

Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• It's a DAW best suited to making beats with an unconventional workflow compared to traditional linear DAWs.

I suggest checking out the MPC Beats Academy tutorials to see if it appeals to you - https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-beats-academy

• IDE suggest downloading their free sequencer. It will give u an idea of their workflow

• @telecharge said:
    It's a DAW best suited to making beats with an unconventional workflow compared to traditional linear DAWs.

I suggest checking out the MPC Beats Academy tutorials to see if it appeals to you - https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-beats-academy

It can be used in linear fashion though, as you can have 999 bars. But most people use it as a pattern sequencer.

• Thanks!

Fyi, I also just bought the Akai MPD 218 and downloaded MPC beats on my Mac. So it sounds like you folks are suggesting I should check out that software and it will give me a clue about the hardware workflow.

• @joegrant413 I don't have a standalone MPC, but I presume it would be an easy transition once you know your way around the MPC Software.

• @telecharge said:
    @joegrant413 I don't have a standalone MPC, but I presume it would be an easy transition once you know your way around the MPC Software.

Do you like finger drumming

• Just now learning finger drumming. Going through Melodics course.

• If you like BeatMaker 3 or Koala Sampler or iMPC Pro or the various Korg Drum machines in Gadget, the MPC Hardware will be a joy to use.

• I like Koala Sampler. Truth be told, when I'm ideating and sketching a song, it's by singing and trying out ideas and words that can be changed or tossed out.

Haven't gotten far enough into BMK3 to know who much I care for the work flow, and haven't spent much time with MPC Beats or iMPC pro.

Thx, Joe

• @echoopera said:
    If you like BeatMaker 3 or Koala Sampler or iMPC Pro or the various Korg Drum machines in Gadget, the MPC Hardware will be a joy to use.

Except no linear timeline like in BM3, ¿right?. I like Clip/pattern mode for improvising and coming up with parts , but then need a linear timeline to put it all together in a song mode. And I don’t mean just chaining patterns, but also moving stuff around, automating, etc… Zenbeats and BM3 can do both clip and linear, which is great.

• @tahiche said:

@echoopera said:
    If you like BeatMaker 3 or Koala Sampler or iMPC Pro or the various Korg Drum machines in Gadget, the MPC Hardware will be a joy to use.

Except no linear timeline like in BM3, ¿right?. I like Clip/pattern mode for improvising and coming up with parts , but then need a linear timeline to put it all together in a song mode. And I don’t mean just chaining patterns, but also moving stuff around, automating, etc… Zenbeats and BM3 can do both clip and linear, which is great.

No. There’s a linear timeline with the MPC.

• Hopefully, this bit from the SoS review of the MPC One will be helpful - https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/akai-mpc-one

"MPC projects have a particular structure and methodology that is consistent across all the models and the MPC software/plug-in. This has its roots in the earlier MPCs, and is quite different from, say, Ableton Live or NI Maschine (or indeed Akai's Force) which build Scenes from a pool of Clips. MPC Projects are built from Sequences, which are more like Patterns on a typical drum machine, or Elektron's instruments. Each Sequence is its own little world, with multiple tracks, which could be different and use different sound sources from one Sequence to the next. It could be an idea, a variation, a song section or a whole song.

MPC Projects have a central pool of samples and 'Programs' that can be accessed from any track. Programs are sound sources such as drum kits, multi-sampled instruments, loop players or internal synth patches; or MIDI or CV configs for controlling external instruments. Audio tracks are grouped separately and can play back or record audio linearly, but always bound within the current Sequence."

• An alternate use case for the MPC,

• I'm thinking I might lease an MPC for a couple of weeks.

At this point, it sure seems like good MIDI pads and an iOS device can do the same or more than an MPC. More since we have Loopy Pro now as well.

But until I have had my hands on one for a week or two, it's hard to say what I'm missing from the hardware experience.

• I had the mpc live and thought it was an excellent bit if kit. Everything you need in one box to make music. Probably first bit of hardware I've experienced that could replace software for making finished tracks.

But I sold it because I realised I didn't wait to replace software. If I was going hardware only it would be a great option.

The mpc one is excellent value for money

• Thanks, muzka.

Since the time I started this thread, I did take finger drumming lessons on my Akai MPD 218. I know I like the MPC pads. And I know I like hardware. I also recently bought a Microfreak and I’m waiting on a Behringer RD9.

So yeah, I am wondering aloud if that MPC hardware experience is worth checking out.

• I’d recommend an MPC too, I’ve owned several over the years (2000XL/1000/Live/One) and though currently don’t own one (due to owning other sampling drum machines) wouldn’t hesitate to get one again, the new series are dream to use compared to the early models and though some older heads complain, personally I prefer the experience.

• edited June 2022

Looks like Tomorrow, Probability comes to MPC…

• I’m getting ready for this update:

• @echoopera said:
    I’m getting ready for this update:

Probability tomorrow B)

• @echoopera said:

Same!

• @echoopera Forgot you done this video ! Your photo of the setup reminded me.

Had a MPC One for a while now so will have to try it out with my iPad after the update drops tomorrow.

• edited June 2022

Chopping samples on the mpc is a dream, I don’t like the sequencer as it’s linear, and not trig xox based. The fx are solid, but nothing deep - but you can get creative stacking four fx together and using that as a preset. It’s an ok sampler for instruments, I wish it was easier to set up multi-velocity drums >4 slices with round robins. The synths are meh, with the organ and drum synths being my favourites. It’s very flexible with midi and audio routing (especially if you use a usb audio interface, I sometimes use mine with a iConnect4 and the iPad.) I mostly use it as a battery based box, to sketch sample chop based music that I then can play. As a finger drumming instrument it’s a lot of fun like that, and if you have a hard drive in it, that’s a lot of samples you can carry about with you.

So it’s not for elektron style tech semi-generative sequencing. The sample packs leans heavily in the hip-hop direction. It’s not a sound-designers synth dream. But for chopping samples and playing with them it’s the best non pc option imo.

• @jollyDodger said:
    Chopping samples on the mpc is a dream, I don’t like the sequencer as it’s linear, and not trig xox based. The fx are solid, but nothing deep - but you can get creative stacking four fx together and using that as a preset. It’s an ok sampler for instruments, I wish it was easier to set up multi-velocity drums >4 slices with round robins. The synths are meh, with the organ and drum synths being my favourites. It’s very flexible with midi and audio routing (especially if you use a usb audio interface, I sometimes use mine with a iConnect4 and the iPad.) I mostly use it as a battery based box, to sketch sample chop based music that I then can play. As a finger drumming instrument it’s a lot of fun like that, and if you have a hard drive in it, that’s a lot of samples you can carry about with you.

So it’s not for elektron style tech semi-generative sequencing. The sample packs leans heavily in the hip-hop direction. It’s not a sound-designers synth dream. But for chopping samples and playing with them it’s the best non pc option imo.

Nice.

After getting the SP 404 mk2, I really like chopping/slicing on it over the MPC.

• @echoopera said:

The MPC + iPad (AUM) is actually surprisingly good! And I ❤️ the auv3’s that support program changes. Makes sifting thru presets a breeze!

• edited June 2022

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@echoopera said:

The MPC + iPad (AUM) is actually surprisingly good! And I ❤️ the auv3’s that support program changes. Makes sifting thru presets a breeze!

It's a stellar combination for sure. Wish Akai made their iMPC Pro compatible with the MPC hardware :) But hey, we can't have everything we want now can we :smiley:

• edited June 2022

• edited June 2022

@echoopera said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@echoopera said:

It's a stellar combination for sure. Wish Akai made their iMPC Pro compatible with the MPC hardware :) But hey, we can't have everything we want now can we :smiley:

There’s always the MPC Element, genuine pads etc
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/394121689702?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=394121689702&targetid=1530885249568&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9033575&poi=&campaignid=15431411935&mkgroupid=125538143730&rlsatarget=pla-1530885249568&abcId=9300764&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwntCVBhDdARIsAMEwACnyYGBp2rS5hEPxLk1g4PSur8v4pgj7LxAWsnED2gNQT-sdbDVsl2waAkZgEALw_wcB

• edited June 2022

Given the recent announcement of the MPC Key 61, I'm taking another look at this thread.

Given I have an Akai MPD-218, a Keystep Pro, and MPC Beats on my Mac, it might behoove me to try the "MPC workflow" with these tools working together before developing any $2000 gas for the latest Akai offering. Especially since I never had an MPC.