Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Brusfri

Speechless.

I can actually play my guitar now.

Very happy.

Comments

• Haha I know it is incredible. One hidden gem feature is that you can extract audio from a video in the standalone and remove noise from that audio as well. Works well with Lumafusion, though now you can just load the auv3 in Lumafusion.

• @mjcouche said:
    Haha I know it is incredible. One hidden gem feature is that you can extract audio from a video in the standalone and remove noise from that audio as well. Works well with Lumafusion, though now you can just load the auv3 in Lumafusion.

Yup, I saw that and stored that little bit of info away for when I need it.

The app is great.

I’m also looking forward to using it in LumaFusion.

• Brusfri is absolutely essential in any audio production set up, period. :)

• Bought.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Brusfri is absolutely essential in any audio production set up, period. :)

Been using it for years. Every track.

• @NoiseHorse said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Brusfri is absolutely essential in any audio production set up, period. :)

Been using it for years. Every track.

I've had it since its launch. Cleans up audio like magic.

• It’s fucking amazing.

• Me too bought it earlier - amazing stuff - Klevgrnd makes a lot of great music software for both iPad/iPhone and Mac!

• Hell, I’m in lockdown and away from my audio interface (don’t ask, long story), so I can’t test my new copy of Brusfri right now. I’m new to all things audio, so was wondering: how do such plugins “learn” a noise profile, and how much do Brusfri’s results depend on its position in the signal chain?

For instance, if I had a few hardware stompboxes between my guitar and my interface, and was turning on and off various pedals that either added gain or modulated the hum of my pickups, how would something like Brusfri cope with the different “versions” of that hum? Is it better to use Brusfri on a direct line input and add effects after it?

• Finally. Glad you’re having fun with it. That’s awesome.

• @jebni I always put Brusfri first on any audio input, it’s always finds and eliminates the noise regardless of source (for me anyway). Then I’d add your stompboxes and let them stomp the clean sound coming outta Brusfri.

• Before applying noise cancellation, first you should ‘Learn’ the profile of the noise.
    F.e if you apply it to mic recording in your room (acoustic issues, noise from the signal chain etc) ‘Learn’ the noise floor only, which is constant more or less usually - meaning don’t sing into your mic while ‘Learning’, same goes for guitar... don’t play it while ‘Learning’
    If you apply it to recorded audio, find and loop a section where the signal/noise ratio is the lowest (noise is the most audible) to get the most accurate profile.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Finally. Glad you’re having fun with it. That’s awesome.

Yeah, dude.

I can hear why you recommended it.
    It’s quite something.
    I’ve tried many noise removal plugins
    over the years and most if not all
    didn’t do a great job.
    The one from Waves for instance
    left so many artefacts in the sound
    that it was pointless.
    I can play this in real-time.

• So it seems many of us, iOS guitarists, are using brusfri for this purpose. What a great app. It seems like the best compromise to remove floor noise. However, I sometimes feel like some of the guitar signal is also lost in the process, even after carefully learning the floor noise. Am I the only one ? Does anyone know if adding a DI box between the guitar and the audio interface could remove this noise floor ?

• @JanKun said:
    So it seems many of us, iOS guitarists, are using brusfri for this purpose. What a great app. It seems like the best compromise to remove floor noise. However, I sometimes feel like some of the guitar signal is also lost in the process, even after carefully learning the floor noise. Am I the only one ? Does anyone know if adding a DI box between the guitar and the audio interface could remove this noise floor ?

I sometimes feel this way, but I generally apply Brusfri after recording, and then it doesn’t bother me. Can’t comment on the DI box.

• edited August 2021

@JanKun said:
    So it seems many of us, iOS guitarists, are using brusfri for this purpose. What a great app. It seems like the best compromise to remove floor noise. However, I sometimes feel like some of the guitar signal is also lost in the process, even after carefully learning the floor noise. Am I the only one ? Does anyone know if adding a DI box between the guitar and the audio interface could remove this noise floor ?

Using a D.I box won’t remove noise.
    It will remove hum caused by a ground loop but for a guitar it doesn’t do it.
    If the output from a guitar is balanced then the noise could be removed
    using a D.I box.

• Brusfri is essential here. Totally eleminates background noise when recording on my zoom handheld mic.

Dav

• @Gravitas said:

using a D.I box.

@Gravitas, thank you for the technical insight ! Hum and buzz kind of sound the same to my noob's ears ! Since I am currently using a telecaster with single coils, I guess, brusfri will be my best friend !

• @mjcouche said:

@JanKun said:

I sometimes feel this way, but I generally apply Brusfri after recording, and then it doesn’t bother me. Can’t comment on the DI box.

I am doing the same. Recording the signal from my guitar then denoising. When I feel brusfri is removing a bit too much of the guitar signal, I generally switch to a gate. But most of the time, brusfri works really well ! A must have, definitely !

• Brusfri also has a bunch of settings that often get overlooked...
    ...they allow quite a bit of tweaking.

• @JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

using a D.I box.

@Gravitas, thank you for the technical insight ! Hum and buzz kind of sound the same to my noob's ears ! Since I am currently using a telecaster with single coils, I guess, brusfri will be my best friend !

As you have a telecaster?
    Place your pickup switch position to the middle and the hum from
    both pickups should cancel each other out, that’s if you have hum.
    This is what a D.I box does.
    It takes a positive and negative signal and then sums them.
    As they are perfectly out of phase the noise should
    be removed leaving the desired sound.
    This does depend upon whether your pickups are wired in phase or not.

Hum is like a sine wave or constant note and noise is shcttktktkt.

and yes, Brusfri is a really good best friend.

@Samu said:
    Brusfri also has a bunch of settings that often get overlooked...

I saw those as well.
    They come in handy.

• To those having problems with noise from guitar pickups. If at all possible, try powering your iOS device and interface from a battery bank rather than from anything plugged into mains. It does wonders.

@jebni Brusfri should be as close as possible to the source of the noise. The more the noise is altered by FX, the more audio content Brusfrei has to remove. If you run noise coming from a guitar through a distortion stomp box, not is it louder, but it is also splattered across more frequencies. Whack it before that happens.

@JanKun - yes, as you've noticed, part of the signal is lost. That's inevitable. Wherever there's overlap between the noise profile and wanted frequency content, the wanted frequency content will be removed as well. Switching to a gate when it becomes noticeable is what I do also, though gates have their own tradeoffs.

• @Gravitas said:

@JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

using a D.I box.

@Samu said:

I saw those as well.
    They come in handy.

So I guess my problem is not hum, as the noise is the same, whatever the switch position is. Why did I fall in love with the telecaster single coil sound 😅 ? I guess, I would have had less problems with a humbucker...

• @JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

@JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

using a D.I box.

@Samu said:

I saw those as well.
    They come in handy.

So I guess my problem is not hum, as the noise is the same, whatever the switch position is. Why did I fall in love with the telecaster single coil sound 😅 ? I guess, I would have had less problems with a humbucker...

There is that. 😏

• @JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

@JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

using a D.I box.

@Samu said:

I saw those as well.
    They come in handy.

If you’re having noise like that even in the hum cancelling position you probably need to shield your guitar as well as making sure the ground is properly connected throughout the circuit. You could also try a stacked humbucker or active pickups, which can help. On my cheap tele copy, I have gfs noiseless pickups, which aren’t noiseless, but they are less noisy than the pickups that were in it when I got it. I had the gfs redactive pickups in 2 basses in the past though and those were really resistant to noise and sounded really good. They are active, low impedance pickups with a preamp built into the pickup, and therefore they don’t pick up much noise, so the preamp amplifies a clean signal. EMG pickups work similarly, but the GFS didn’t have that hifi EMG sound, they sounded much more traditional.

As far as Brusfri, I have it on Mac and it works well. I use isotope rx broadband noise removal and Brusfri depending on the application, both work really well.

• @Gravitas said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    Finally. Glad you’re having fun with it. That’s awesome.

Yeah, dude.

I can hear why you recommended it.
    It’s quite something.
    I’ve tried many noise removal plugins
    over the years and most if not all
    didn’t do a great job.
    The one from Waves for instance
    left so many artefacts in the sound
    that it was pointless.
    I can play this in real-time.

Ahhh I see where you're coming from. Yeah, Brusfri was an app I didn't think would exist, much less on an iPad or iPhone, yet it has become an almost staple in everything I do. It even makes my iRig (old school barrel connector) useable.

• @Gravitas said:

@JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

using a D.I box.

@Samu said:

I saw those as well.
    They come in handy.

Great insight! I have a strat with a single, double and hum and really don't know much about the differences. This helps! Thanks mate.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@Gravitas said:

@JanKun said:

@Gravitas said:

using a D.I box.

@Samu said:

I saw those as well.
    They come in handy.

Great insight! I have a strat with a single, double and hum and really don't know much about the differences. This helps! Thanks mate.

No worries.

• So this does work POST recording? Like I can record a track on my desktop and then send this to Cubasis and apply Brusfri and GF2? If so; it’s the one effect I said I needed/wanted to get since the summer sales proved to get me all I intended. I still have $3 in apple credit so Brusfri might be worth it if I can use it to remove noise after recording.

• wimwim
    edited November 2023

@dreamcartel said:
    So this does work POST recording? Like I can record a track on my desktop and then send this to Cubasis and apply Brusfri and GF2? If so; it’s the one effect I said I needed/wanted to get since the summer sales proved to get me all I intended. I still have $3 in apple credit so Brusfri might be worth it if I can use it to remove noise after recording.

Yes. In fact, as it's rather resource heavy, that's the preferred way in my case. It will be one of the best $3 you ever spent.