Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Getting iOS GarageBand Files and Apps To Work On macOS (Yes, It Can Be Done)!

edited August 2021 in General App Discussion

It's possible I'm the last person to realize this, but I had assumed I would not be able to transition iOS GarageBand files to the desktop without doing a massive amount of work to replace iOS-only effects, synths and other iOS specific functions (since macOS computers are not touch-centric).

Turns out it's less of a problem than I thought!

Running macOS Big Sur on an iMac, there is a good deal of cross-platform compatibility with iOS-only apps. Yes, they were designed to work best on iPads and iPhones, but many of them can still be downloaded and used onto a MacBook Pro, iMac, etc.

I've managed to so far to download to macOS MOST of my main effects and synthesizers (sadly, the Moog Model D cannot be downloaded) from the desktop version of the App Store (since they were previously recorded as purchases on an iPad). And I've opened and played most of them with zero issues so far.

I'll do a step-by-step on how this works, but until I can write it all out, have you faced the same issue and managed to solve it on your own?

Comments

• edited August 2021

If you want to check if your "most precious" iOS apps are compatible with Big Sur and you already have a laptop or desktop Mac system, do the following:

1. On your macOS computer, open the App Store.

2. Click on the "Updates" button/icon on the left side of the App Store app and see if any of your apps are downloadable.

3. If your apps are not listed among the updates, click in the lower left area where it shows your Name and the current amount of money credited to your account (you may have to re-enter your password at this stage).

4. Now your Account information will be displayed, which shows all of the "Mac Apps" you've downloaded and if any need to be updated. Right next to the highlighted word "Mac Apps" on the top it shows "iPhone & iPad Apps". Click on that. This is where you can download and use most, if not all of the apps which you've downloaded on your iOS devices!

5. Download and test whichever apps you need for your music production and especially test them as AUv3 in your DAW (whether that's GarageBand, Logic Pro, or something else). Apps automatically download to your "Applications" folder.

This is not a guaranteed way to get all of your apps onto macOS. It depends on the limitations individual developers have built into their apps.