Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rhino Guitar Amp Sim from Aurora DSP. Public beta looks interesting.

Comments

• @GRiker said:

@Iskander said:
    Rhino crashes right after the start on my iPad Pro M1 12.9“/iPadOS15.0.
    No chance to try out.
    I did reinstall. The problem remains.

I had the same experience when trying to launch standalone, but it’s worked fine as a plugin.

Many thanks GRiker.
    I‘ve tried and it worked as a plugin.

• I’ve tested the Rhino Beta on three devices so far.
    My guitar sounds good through it,
    one description given was,
    ‘Super guitar sound’.
    It’s now part of my guitar toolkit.
    When it’s app store released I’ll be getting it for sure.

• So far I've used it once and it was tough because of how brutal it was on system resources. Mixed feelings about the sound. I would describe it as pristine. It seems like there are some features that are not pleasant at all and other that are wonderful. For the shear tweak ability alone I'll probably get it.

• @Ailerom said:
    So far I've used it once and it was tough because of how brutal it was on system resources. Mixed feelings about the sound. I would describe it as pristine. It seems like there are some features that are not pleasant at all and other that are wonderful. For the shear tweak ability alone I'll probably get it.

Where you possibly using multiple IRs? It doesn't seem like a CPU hog to me.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    I would be worried about the cpu hit because of the quad IR loader plus the Reverb IR loader. I can’t imagine that’s a light load when used all together, especially if they are all loaded full spectrum rather than optimized. Thafknar and IMPULSation have a double IR loader per instance, though you could run several instances until you max out I guess. Overloud has a double IR loader per cabinet module as well, but you can keep adding modules. Personally I don’t see myself using more than 1-2 IRs per track.

At least in the case of Rhino, I believe it can merge the 4 IRs into a single weight vector. This would be a one-time operation so should not affect the audio processing load. Of course, the IR Reverb model is an extra step.

And just by the way, in computer lingo, alpha testing refers to in-house testing, weeding out the basic bugs, before releasing to public beta testers. The next levels would be release candidate, then release.

• @uncledave said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    I would be worried about the cpu hit because of the quad IR loader plus the Reverb IR loader. I can’t imagine that’s a light load when used all together, especially if they are all loaded full spectrum rather than optimized. Thafknar and IMPULSation have a double IR loader per instance, though you could run several instances until you max out I guess. Overloud has a double IR loader per cabinet module as well, but you can keep adding modules. Personally I don’t see myself using more than 1-2 IRs per track.

At least in the case of Rhino, I believe it can merge the 4 IRs into a single weight vector. This would be a one-time operation so should not affect the audio processing load. Of course, the IR Reverb model is an extra step.

And just by the way, in computer lingo, alpha testing refers to in-house testing, weeding out the basic bugs, before releasing to public beta testers. The next levels would be release candidate, then release.

Good to know. I’ve edited my post accordingly.

• edited September 2021

@Ailerom said:
    So far I've used it once and it was tough because of how brutal it was on system resources. Mixed feelings about the sound. I would describe it as pristine. It seems like there are some features that are not pleasant at all and other that are wonderful. For the shear tweak ability alone I'll probably get it.

You would, or you wouldn’t, describe it as pristine? I didn’t like the sound at first in the original beta, but after a bunch of tweaking and delving deep it became much better and really versatile. The default sounds and settings upon loading the app are off-putting, but it is extremely capable of being tweaked to satisfaction. I like two of the four pre-amps very very much, the other two not so much.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Ailerom said:
    I would describe it as pristine.

You would, or you wouldn’t, describe it as pristine? I didn’t like the sound at first in the original beta, but after a bunch of tweaking and delving deep it became much better and really versatile. The default sounds and settings upon loading the app are off-putting, but it is extremely capable of being tweaked to satisfaction. I like two of the four pre-amps very very much, the other two not so much.

I find it sounds pristine with great clarity and not so much analog flavour. Like you said, there are some preamps that are good (1 for me) where as the others sounded harsh and while it was possible to get somewhere near a pleasing sound by combining them, on their own I don't like so much. Same with some of the other components. Effects and eq are great. I hate to use this potentially meaningless phrase but it's a bit like digitally pure sound vs the sound from an amp. I like it a lot. It's just not sounding rough and raw enough for my taste and with the time it takes to get a good sound, combined with the high cpu I find it very difficult to work with. The tones are there but there are barriers (for me and my gear) to finding them.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Ailerom said:

To be honest the IR's didn't seem to make any difference. I tries multiple and had the same glitches with one selected. I wasn't particularly thrill with what I got from multiple IRs so I went with one anyway. But it was the same impact on cpu.

I probably should clarify the statement I've only used it once. That was to mix 3 guitar track in a demo track so one time yes, but three tracks and quite a bit of time trying to find tones before giving up due to the system demand.

The Rhino version

The Nembrini Bogner version

• @Ailerom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Ailerom said:

To be honest the IR's didn't seem to make any difference. I tries multiple and had the same glitches with one selected. I wasn't particularly thrill with what I got from multiple IRs so I went with one anyway. But it was the same impact on cpu.

I probably should clarify the statement I've only used it once. That was to mix 3 guitar track in a demo track so one time yes, but three tracks and quite a bit of time trying to find tones before giving up due to the system demand.

The Rhino version

The Nembrini Bogner version

Good stuff. Not sure if you recorded one dry track and reamped it twice or if you recorded two separate tracks, but that was very interesting to hear. Listening on my iPhone XSMax I actually prefer the rhino version, with the mixes in their current state, but I think I would prefer the Nembrini version after a few minor tweaks. The BG Extasy is in my top 3 Nembrini amp releases.

My unsolicited advice (you can ignore me)…

The Rhino version guitar needs to be 2-3db quieter. It’s sitting too much on top of the track and dominating, turning it down just a smidge wound integrate it into the track better. I like that tone a lot, I like the dryness of it, but yes it could be a little less pristine, or more wild and “rowdy” as I would call it. It’s doing the rowdy thing in some digital way without much analog character. But I think rhino can achieve that with the pre-amp effects and EQ, it’s all really tweakable.

The BG Extasy version guitar needs to be 2-3db louder, and the reverb applied to it makes it sound like the amp lives in a different room, it’s not glued into your track. So I would turn up the guitar track and make it dryer, but apply reverb on the master to glue it all. I love love the sound you have here, very prominent in the mids, just want it to live inside the track more.

Perhaps the reverb on the drums and bass is applied, and the guitar tracks just don’t match it, but with a little volume tweak it wouldn’t be noticeable.

Regarding the rhino preamps, I also like the red #1 preamp, but after a lot of eq readjustment to get rid of the bassy darkness and to brighten it up. This to me is the preamp to get cleans in rhino.

And I love the orange #2 preamp, my favorite type of ripe rock sound, voiced extremely well.

I actually don’t think Rhino sounds pristine nor particularly digital, but I agree the Nembrinis overall sound more amp-like. But it’s hard to compare, everything that Rhino comes with is really versatile and usable. I’m trying to find a way to make it sound even richer and broader while keeping focus, this is something Nembrini does very well.

• Thanks for listening and the comments. I really liked working with Rhino and like the sound but just didn't put the effort in as it was too glitchy and painful to work with. Hopefully it get streamlined code or I get a new iPad.

• edited October 2021

In general, Rhino is a little too metal for my tastes but the first model (with red accent colours) is sublime on electric pianos. It's by far my favourite of any of the options I've got on iOS/iPadOS for this task alone.

I wasn't expecting to like Rhino as none of the Mammoth demos I heard was to my taste, and I thought Rhino would be more of the same but for metal guitars. I'm now thinking of picking up Mammoth whilst it's still on offer, on the off chance that it has some funkier bass tones within it too.

BTW, I absolutely love the UI, it's so clean, informative and intuitive that there should be little need of a manual for most folk experienced with amp stacks (real or simulated).

• Any eta on when this is going live? It has been in beta for a while now I believe, Correct me if I’m wrong.

• Love the UI to death but don’t need such crazy distortion models. The cleanest model is good, but I’d better just use the rigs I bought in TH-U. Would love to buy that UI though.

• Here’s my video on Rhino for Desktop and iOS. I used the beta for the iOS part. When the iOS version is released I may do a livestream with it.

• Thx. Loading it on my iPad now.

AudioBus forum rocks!

• I’m looking forward to shelling out the cash for this it’s definitely my favorite sounding app for heavier stuff. I pit it up against 8180 and for my tastes Rhino killed it.

I still REALLY like the Sound Master for clean tones, there’s just something about it. Not that Rhino couldn’t be up to the task, I don’t know yet cause every time I put it on a channel I just go into djent mode lol…

• This app is a really good surprise! I like it. For sure it's a quality app that is different from what I already have.

I have a testflight version.

I try it with my nylon string and it was really good. Will try it with my telecaster tomorrow.

It may be obvious but, I don't have the answer; what will be the price of this iOS app? When it will be release?

I have the dark version of the UI and it's a 10/10 for me.

• Is Rhino on IOS finally AUv3?

• @kmes said:
    Is Rhino on IOS finally AUv3?

Yes, I thought it was from the start of the beta. Are you thinking of a different Rhino?

• I could not find the item #AUv3 at the Appstore, Mammoth instead has the declaration #AUv3. ???

• There is another thread here on Rhino post-release.

Yes, it is AUv3 despite the omission of this important detail from its App Store description.

• Thanx!!!

• Rhino - The Massive Guitar Plug-in has been updated and has now been released for iOS. In this stream I’ll walk you through the new features, show you just how amazing it sounds and give away some codes for the iPad/iPhone version. Click on the link above to set a reminder to join me.

Here’s my video demonstrating the 1.0 desktop release and iOS Beta:
    And here’s a link to a live stream where I used the iOS beta:

• @Jamie_Mallender And I just noticed the desktop version is more than 1/2 off right now: https://auroradsp.com/en/strona-glowna/46-rhino-guitar-plugin.html

• @flo26 said:
    This thing is much more than a metal machine.

I’d really like to know a bit more on this. All the demos I’ve seen are metal and no offence to anyone into that but I think distorted or metal, heavily overdriven guitar demos are trash really because there is no tone and you can’t tell anything from them.

I had no interest in this amp as I’m really annoying and selective and tone obsessed, and I really like stuff that works well switching between clean with some character and breaking up. I think heavier and lighter tones are pretty easily achieved on anything but this area is what I’m into and get from mostly ‘vintage’ sounding particular amps.

So rhino just came across to me as totally uninteresting initially - I have mammoth and didn’t like that at all and - possibly in my ignorance and comoletely wrongly given ive seen a few comments saying otherwise - felt like rhino was going to be a kind of boutique modern soulless thing that did glassy cleans then just a load of characterless distortion. I don’t ever use distortion because of the lack of tone, but I do love overdrive that. retains tone. Anyway i don’t like any of teh videos just generic distorted sounds could be on a prs an Ibanez a squier an sg all the guitar murdered out of the sound.

Wow. I really don’t mean to be heavy handed in this so apologies if I have been 😂 I’m rubbish at forums. But just to get across my impressions and in case anyone similarly minded can show me my feelings were wrong about this amp and it does have some musicality

• edited December 2021

@wingwizard said:

@flo26 said:

I’d really like to know a bit more on this. All the demos I’ve seen are metal and no offence to anyone into that but I think distorted or metal, heavily overdriven guitar demos are trash really because there is no tone and you can’t tell anything from them.

I had no interest in this amp as I’m really annoying and selective and tone obsessed, and I really like stuff that works well switching between clean with some character and breaking up. I think heavier and lighter tones are pretty easily achieved on anything but this area is what I’m into and get from mostly ‘vintage’ sounding particular amps.

So rhino just came across to me as totally uninteresting initially - I have mammoth and didn’t like that at all and - possibly in my ignorance and comoletely wrongly given ive seen a few comments saying otherwise - felt like rhino was going to be a kind of boutique modern soulless thing that did glassy cleans then just a load of characterless distortion. I don’t ever use distortion because of the lack of tone, but I do love overdrive that. retains tone. Anyway i don’t like any of teh videos just generic distorted sounds could be on a prs an Ibanez a squier an sg all the guitar murdered out of the sound.

Wow. I really don’t mean to be heavy handed in this so apologies if I have been 😂 I’m rubbish at forums. But just to get across my impressions and in case anyone similarly minded can show me my feelings were wrong about this amp and it does have some musicality

@flo26 started a thread were he focuses on the preamp section.
    Here's the thread.
    Have a listen.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/48161/auroras-rhino-sound-demo-focus-on-the-preamp-section#latest

• @wingwizard said:

@flo26 said:

Did you listen to flo's demo posted in another thread? Certainly, not just distorted metal tones.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wingwizard said:

@flo26 said:

Did you listen to flo's demo posted in another thread? Certainly, not just distorted metal tones.

@Gravitas said:

@wingwizard said:

@flo26 said:

@flo26 started a thread were he focuses on the preamp section.
    Here's the thread.
    Have a listen.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/48161/auroras-rhino-sound-demo-focus-on-the-preamp-section#latest

Nothing to add.
    Thanks!

• edited December 2021

Thanks I’ll go listen now. Edit: the opening part was really helpful. Some nice strat/tele little wing sounding tones possible. :) I love the fenders with lower wound pickups. There used to be a nice Yamaha super rock n roller