Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rhino Guitar Amp Sim from Aurora DSP. Public beta looks interesting.

Comments

• Whoah this sounds amazing!

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Whoah this sounds amazing!

It is definitely fun.

• @Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Whoah this sounds amazing!

It is definitely fun.

I definitely have to agree. Right out of the box, this amp sim sounds as good (or better) than all the ones I’ve purchased. That’s saying a lot because I pretty much have them all. There are a few bugs to work through, but I have high hopes for this one.
    Well done, Aurora DSP!

• Had to test this out with my virtual guitar set up. I really like the tones you can get out of this! Definitely something I wouldn’t mind adding to my app collection.

• Presets don’t work in AUM. Emailed them.

• edited August 2021

There are a lot of features working not properly, waiting for big bug fixing
    Anyway, I think it’s most powerful amp sim on iOS

• @Artair said:
    There are a lot of features working not properly, waiting for big bug fixing
    Anyway, I think it’s most powerful amp sim on iOS

The manual is really helpful, it actually explains every setting and what each preamp is based on. Yes lots of bugs, I think this is normal when porting anything over to iOS from the more stable desktop version. I’m skeptical about how there would even be enough processing power to load four of my own custom impulse responses, and keep them full spectrum. I’ve also read somewhere that supposedly there’s something called the “Rhino knob”, but it’s not in the manual and nowhere to be found in the app… I don’t know, this thing sounds surprisingly good, looking forward to the alpha…

• Hello Everyone,

I did not excepct such a great feedback from beta ver. There are few comments that i have to follow up, i’ll try to answer in details.

Btw you can join our FB group
    http://facebook.com/groups/auroradsp

• I am getting HEAPS of feedback making it impossible to use much of the feature set. I got luck with the awesome sounding Fuzz though. This thing sounds phenomenal. I imagine the uncontrollable feedback is because of the fact I only have a first gen iRig for guitar input? Anyone?

Again, the fuzz is just amazing. I'm sure this will be boring as bat shit but I recorded some of the noodling for the heck of it.

https://dropbox.com/s/dxfoncugqc6tn2a/Rhino%20beta%20Ailerom.mp3?dl=0

• @Ailerom said:
    I am getting HEAPS of feedback making it impossible to use much of the feature set. I got luck with the awesome sounding Fuzz though. This thing sounds phenomenal. I imagine the uncontrollable feedback is because of the fact I only have a first gen iRig for guitar input? Anyone?

Again, the fuzz is just amazing. I'm sure this will be boring as bat shit but I recorded some of the noodling for the heck of it.

https://dropbox.com/s/dxfoncugqc6tn2a/Rhino%20beta%20Ailerom.mp3?dl=0

That fuzz does sound good!. I’m not a big fan of the “amp drive” tone that I heard on Flo’s demo, I’d much rather use a driven clean channel with a shitload of fuzz. Will have to give this a try.

• edited August 2021

I really like this! Only tried and stuck on the cleanest preamp with low gain…I have no need for such high gain stuff (anything more than 9o clock on a Boss DS-1 is overkill for me). But it all sounds good and the interface is amazing and the real reason I decided to try it.

I tried loading 4 mono Ownhammer IRs but everything turned to silence. Too much to handle on last year’s Pro? It was hard to tell if they actually loaded or not to tell the truth, as the file name didn’t show anywhere.

• edited August 2021

@oat_phipps said:
    I really like this! Only tried and stuck on the cleanest preamp with low gain…I have no need for such high gain stuff (anything more than 9o clock on a Boss DS-1 is overkill for me). But it all sounds good and the interface is amazing and the real reason I decided to try it.

I tried loading 4 mono Ownhammer IRs but everything turned to silence. Too much to handle on last year’s Pro? It was hard to tell if they actually loaded or not to tell the truth, as the file name didn’t show anywhere.

Exactly the same for me regarding the IRs, so I think it’s a bug. A few other bugs to iron out but the sound quality and tone is there!

By the way, you should try loading an OwnHammer IR into the convolution reverb module, really good ambient shit!

• Hi Guys!

Latest version is Up!

PATCH NOTES

• IR Loader fixed:

• it shouldn’t randomly cause crashes any more
 - loading custom IRs now doesn’t result in a total loss of signal

• picking a custom IR now properly sets the ‘custom’ button text, to indicate that a custom IR has indeed been loaded

• Presets now work in AUv3

• Mono button setting now doesn’t revert its state when loading presets

• Output level slightly lowered for the whole plugin

• UI bugs (where some elements from expanded sections appeared in collapsed state) now fixed

• Minor performance improvements

https://testflight.apple.com/join/vuKZiMjs

• Bump
    https://testflight.apple.com/join/vuKZiMjs
    Last beta ver available on TestFlight app.
    PATCH NOTES

• IR Loader fixed:
      *it shouldn’t randomly cause crashes any more
    • loading custom IRs now doesn’t result in a total loss of signal
      *picking a custom IR now properly sets the ‘custom’ button text, to indicate that a custom IR has indeed been loaded
    • Presets now work in AUv3
    • Mono button setting now doesn’t revert its state when loading presets
    • Output level slightly lowered for the whole plugin
    • UI bugs (where some elements from expanded sections appeared in collapsed state) now fixed
    • Minor performance improvements
  • I feel that there is more latency right now(before it was almost 0), can anyone confirm it? Regret updating both on iPhone and iPad

• @Artair said:
    I feel that there is more latency right now(before it was almost 0), can anyone confirm it? Regret updating both on iPhone and iPad

You might check the buffer size.

• edited September 2021

@Artair said:
    I feel that there is more latency right now(before it was almost 0), can anyone confirm it? Regret updating both on iPhone and iPad

Yes! I sent some beta feedback as well, but since this update it’s made the app unusable.

Huge latency. Please set it back to 0, as this is my favorite new app, but it can’t be used in its current state.

• Can anyone check Aurora DSP Rhino amp sim on iOS 15? Last beta is CPU hog, but no latency issues on 14.8

• Surprised there hasn’t been an update yet. Latency is crazy, and not in an “i can deal with this’ way!

• @oat_phipps said:
    Surprised there hasn’t been an update yet. Latency is crazy, and not in an “i can deal with this’ way!

Actually, they did update it. There is no latency now, but more CPU consumption

• I keep meaning to try this but haven't yet. How does it compare to like Nembrini 8081?

Are folks having latency (or were) having latency issues with an audio interface? Really meant to test this last night but just got wrapped up in crap with the kids lol..

• @icsleepers said:
    I keep meaning to try this but haven't yet. How does it compare to like Nembrini 8081?

Are folks having latency (or were) having latency issues with an audio interface? Really meant to test this last night but just got wrapped up in crap with the kids lol..

I think it's the most powerful amp sim on iOS right now

• 4 iR module, with 4 of your own iR's you can get any tone you want (there is a big difference in tone between the stock and my iR's)
    • Tone matching function is pretty flexible and can change tone drastically, hope there will be some kind of preset system for saving tone match curves
    • Additional iR for reverb
    • Also you can use it for anything like synths or drums, because there is so many options you can cover almost all your needs

The only thing I am missing right now is the good pitch shifter on iOS which will be close enough to Digitech Whammy, right now I'm stick with JAX P2 which is pretty good actually

• @icsleepers said:
    I keep meaning to try this but haven't yet. How does it compare to like Nembrini 8081?

Something like the Nembrini 8180 is a single amp model, there’s not even a reverb knob. It is however a masterpiece, as are most of the Nembrini plugins. Comparing a single Nembrini component to a comprehensive guitar suite app (Amplitube, Bias, Overloud, Tonestack, Rhino, db Audioware, etc..) is like comparing an apple to a fruit salad. If Nembrini components were all part of a larger app, most of them would be considered among the best in any collection.

Rhino is definitely worth trying, there is a lot to like.

• @Artair said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Surprised there hasn’t been an update yet. Latency is crazy, and not in an “i can deal with this’ way!

Actually, they did update it. There is no latency now, but more CPU consumption

Yup, the most recent update fixed the latency issue. Haven’t really noticed the cpu usage.

• edited September 2021

Rhino crashes right after the start on my iPad Pro M1 12.9“/iPadOS15.0.
    No chance to try out.
    I did reinstall. The problem remains.

• Thanks @Artair @JoyceRoadStudios - hopefully tonight will be the night I can check it out lol

• @Iskander said:
    No chance to try out.

No crash on iOS15 with iPhone XSMax, will check iPad Pro later…

• @Iskander said:
    No chance to try out.

I had the same experience when trying to launch standalone, but it’s worked fine as a plugin.

• edited September 2021

I would be worried about the cpu hit because of the quad IR loader plus the Reverb IR loader. I can’t imagine that’s a light load when used all together, especially if they are all loaded full spectrum rather than optimized. Thafknar and IMPULSation have a double IR loader per instance, though you could run several instances until you max out I guess. Overloud has a double IR loader per cabinet module as well, but you can keep adding modules. Personally I don’t see myself using more than 1-2 IRs per track.

Luckily Rhino has everything else in the box, I really like the pre-amp effects (compressor/fuzz) and the modulation effects, which are in separate menus. Actually the phaser, flanger, and chorus are really good. And the custom reverb loader is a phenomenal idea. Load an IR into the reverb module for amazing ambient possibilities. With all of this it must eat up a lot of processing, but one may not need to go outside the app at all for effects and EQ. The 4 preamps are also really versatile, and it’s helpful to read the manual to know what hardware everything is based on. Some of the knob and slider names are gimmicky, but once you know what they actually do it’s cool.

I will wait for the official release on this, and I’m sure many will pitch in at that point as well. When I was switching back and forth from the Rhino beta to my favorite guitar apps, I was still preferring them in overall audio quality and frequency broadness, but I expect the Rhino release to be right up there with the best of the iOS guitar apps. It’s a really good app.