Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Want a portable keyboard like Yamaha MX49 but better feeling keys

Hello,

Not a piano player here, but I do want to get some keys that feel more like a piano.

The best way I know to describe it so far is something like a Yahama MX49 with weighted keys.

Feature-wise:

• Lightweight
  • Form factor no bigger than an MX49
  • Keys either full-size or close
  • Weighted or pretty close
  • MIDI out
  • iPhone friendly
  • Has some of its own sounds
  • Speakers
  • Simple. Not looking for groovebox or or workstation

Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• I have an MX61, so know exactly what you mean.

However, I find it hard to play piano on 61 keys, let alone 49, so might be worth thinking bigger.

Lightweight is going to be the hardest thing to get, as a decent hammer action will add overall weight. I have heard that some of the Casio portable pianos are pretty good, but I don’t know if you will find a 49 key version.

• Thx. You raise a good point on my expectations.

Asking for "lightweight" and weighted keys now seems like a contradiction. Maybe not. If I got my hands on some good products, I could get a sense of the two factors.

• edited August 2021

Maybe have a look at Roland Go:Piano - not weighted but full size, proper piano-type box keys. 61 Keys, Bluetooth midi, speakers and battery operation. No pitch or mod wheels though… I have it as well as an MX49… its a bit bigger but not much…

• Thanks! I'm good with no pitch or mod wheels for these keys.

• I've personally found it difficult to find key-beds I like, in modern-built keyboards.

I developed a style of playing back in the 80's and 90's, on a Juno 106, Korg M1, and Roland D50.

When I started to become interested in playing again in 2009, I was really shocked to experience the key-beds being installed in modern low to midrange synths and controllers. After researching I discovered that keys were being hinged with flexible plastic directly at the back of the visible key-bed. This made it harder to press down the keys towards the back of the key-bed. In my style of playing I use the back of the key-bed too.

I had to return a couple of keyboards, and keep going up in price, before I was happy. I ended up with a Korg M3 in 2009.

The M3 was sold, and now I use a Novation Launchkey 49. The Launchkey also has plastic hinged keys, but the design is better than some of the others I've tried, and although it's not my idea of an ideal key-bed, I find it playable.

But I'm talking synth action keys here, and not weighted piano.

I don't have any knowledge on which of todays synths have good playing key-beds. But I did learn not to expect a new synth or controler to have a playable ked-bed, until it is actually played and proves to be good.

• Sadly I don't think you'll find all of these features on the same keyboard.

The route I took was to look for keyboards with a Fatar keybed (this list is helpful https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1149168-ultimate-keybed-thread-models-manufacturers-listed.html ) .
    I ended up buying a Blofeld Keys just to get a good (semi-weighted) 49 key keyboard. Its a fully metal case though so not lightweight.

I use to own a korg M series keyboard that I sold during a move, that keybed was pretty nice and the keyboard was pretty light.

Anyways, long story short is you'll probably have to compromise. Maybe a smaller keyboard for portable iOS use and a larger one for at home work?

• https://m.thomann.de/gb/master_keyboards_up_to_49_keys.html?s=-price

quite a few semi weighted models there to add to a shortlist…

• I also wanted roughly this spec but wound up with a Novation Impulse 61 (midi controller), very good semi-weighted keys, aftertouch is not so great, big. I assume the 49 is the same (and it is much cheaper, easy to find used as well).

I also considered the Korg Triton taktile 49, which has sounds.

• Thanks so much. Audiobus remains a great forum! Yes, I am open to hearing about other quality keybed. I have a lot to learn. BTW, currently I play a Yamaha YPG-235, and an OP1. The Yamaha is great for what it is, but I want better key feel. The OP1 is great, but needless to say not meant to be a haven for the fingers.