Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Has your musical appreciation changed over the years?

I’ve always loved music but lately I’ve been noticing an increased perception and pleasure both visceral and intellectual when listening to all sorts of stuff. I think a lot of it comes from my intense iOS music production. I’m listening in a different way as a result. More attention to detail, arrangement, hearing individual instruments, etc. I’m also old enough to remember vinyl when they were just scratchy, hissy reproductions and not the food of afficienados. The importance of music to my well being and haphazard rally reached up in e past two years.

What’s your experience been like?

Comments

• I think my appreciation of music has always evolved along the way, based on the kind of things I'm currently interested in. If I'm interested in sound design, I tend to hone in on those aspects. If I'm doing a lot of arranging, then I focus on that, etc.

I will say that these days I am way more appreciative of different musical styles than what I usually listen to. Must be all that yelling at kids to get off my lawn...

• edited August 2021

I find I have been getting less adventurous and listening to less interesting music. Mostly because when I do listen to exotic or inspiring things I just want to make music. While at work I need to keep it to meat and potatoes ‘git er dun’ music. If I listen to something really innovative and/or creative I really don't feel like working and would rather be doing my own thing.

So I guess I just ‘preciate workin’ man music more’n i used too.

• I like less ignorant gangsta rap then when I was a teen, lol

More instrumentation, less angst

I listen to mostly older music now, then new stuff coming out

• I think it was initially shaped by what I heard in an aunt’s record collection when I was young, so lots of Beatles, Kinks, and American soul acts. Probably followed popular trends through the 70s and early 70s, but by the late 80s I started listening to anything and everything.

Got an appreciation for jazz by learning to play it, and took on board a lot of ‘difficult’ music. I’ll listen to just about anything these days, and prefer to discover more obscure stuff than popular music.

Still evolving I think, but certainly not limiting what I listen to much these days.

• In 18 months I’ve gone from guitar, harp, piano, bass and drums to granular synths, FieldScaper, Beatcutter, LFO’s and exposed parameters. All thanks to the AB forum. I still love chord progressions and harmony but experimental music is fascinating.

• As a youngster I was voracious and tried to listen to everything that existed. Now I have better music in my head than 99% of the recordings I come across, and so don’t listen to nearly as much. I still get just as inspired when I do find something good though.

• As a kid, I loved HipHop (now known as classic 80s/90s HipHop), and House music and Classical music. As a teen, I loved eurodance music (Vengaboys, Sash, Aqua, etc) in addition to HipHop and House. Then Trance starting with Paul Van Dyk, Gouryella, in addition to the other music I like. In 2010, I loved Brostep (yes I admit it, shut up :lol: ) and Ambient. In 2015, I loved Spinnin Records, Future House, Bass House, etc. 2021, this year, add Minimalist Music to my long list of genres I enjoy. If anything, my musical palette has expanded over the years.

• Well, the ukulele replaced the banjo from the top position of least favoured sounds. o:)
    I truely hated it ... until the discovery of country music and in particular listen to Dock Boggs.
    Whatever the genre, as long as a track touches me emotionally, I pay attention.
    But the amount of pure listening time has shrunk close to zero, as there seems a constant lack of time to do my own stuff (a bass, 2 acoustic guitars, 1 electric, synths on IOS and DSP boards, microphones, preamps and all the production environments).
    An almost bizzarre discovery was the ability to trigger certain dream worlds deliberately by playing (repetitive) tunes that just enter my mind before going to sleep. Never had that experience as a listener of my vinyl and CD collection.

• edited August 2021

Definitely it has changed in so far as each year that goes by I appreciate a wider range of styles and sounds. I’d be disappointed if it hadn’t.
    The jazz I listen to gets more far out. The ‘world’ music gets more authentic. The funk gets rawer. The rock gets more obscure. Etc etc.
    And all the stuff I listened to as a kid still gets played and sung along to, but mostly because my kids are now listening to it!

Having said that, summer 2021 has, conversely, been all about Yacht Rock.

• @LinearLineman the vinyl i saved from my culling, was often that that skipped or jumped, or popped,

and still pleased me :)

i was/am delighted to be able to carry so much music and song, and sound, everywhere i go

but i found and built my oath in a physical sense,,, hunting record shops, trawling libraries,,,

to have grown in a world where this availability was common place,, how then to know where to step?

"chance" showed me a pth, with those records and covers i would find as i flicked, but how to flick ∞ ?

i ♥ ed when my music was all on iTunes, letting "chance" flick through the possibilities for me

[[it was/is interesting to me how often the track selected was often "appropriate" to questions i may have been pondering, particularly the more emotional active i may have been]]

what @AudioGus said resonated with me ... it is so easy to make "sound" with the ipad

i find what i enjoy is a mix of "sings" (those open connections with the heart energy of another) and pallete cleansing moments of noiz and "chance"

i still (sometimes) grrrumble at spotify suggestions, but am learning to ♥ the algea-rhythms

• I’ve always listened to every type of music I can get my hands on, for all its powers and emotions, and enjoyed all of it, so much more than any other art form. My collection spans pop, rock, psychedelia, gothic, metal, thrash, country, folk, DnB, hip-hop, rap, techno, punk, ambient, experimental and everything in between.

Since I started more seriously with my own music making and sound design five years ago, I’ve had to pay a lot more attention to the production, composition and engineering side of music, the technical aspects. In doing so, a lot of long time questions have been answered, many veils have been lifted on this mysterious and very provokative art. All thanks to the knowledge shared on this forum and from the likes of Doug at thesoundtestroom.

Now I listen to the all the old stuff again and the new stuff in a very different way. It still hits me physically and emotionally the way it used to, but now I know WHY it does so, and what’s gone into the work to make it sound like it does, and I now have an even bigger love and appreciation for music than I used to (if that’s possible!).

One of my other favourite YT channels is Rick Beato, for his enthusiasm, huge musical knowledge and the way he breaks down famous tracks into their component parts. Very enlightening.

Why does music have the power to affect us so deeply? Music is frequencies. We are frequencies. It resonates with us physically and mentally. Sound is a very powerful thing! ❤️😍🙏

• I’m not sure I’ve changed appreciation of music, I still despise classical, opera, jazz, still put the ideal pop song on a cultural pedestal to aspire to.

What has changed is what I play (which is different to what I appreciate). I don’t play annoying shit purely so that other people in the vicinity (ie, nearby streets) can be told how esoteric I am. I mean, some of that spikey stuff was just hard to listen to. I will go back to some Birthday Party now and then because, well, it really was genius, but there’s a lot of contemporary to that era that was just a barrage of sonic offence, so I don’t go there any more. I don’t need to advertise how edgy and different my musical sphere is.

• I listen to stuff until I get bored with it. Sometimes that takes a couple of seconds, sometimes, minutes, sometimes never. Nowadays I get bored more often.

• You’re whys wise @CapnWillie 😎

• For over 40 years I was happy listening to the stuff I loved in my late teens early 20s… oddly perhaps, things like Stravinsky, Ravel, Bach, most British composers, John Mcglaughlin, Terje Rypdal, European modern jazz and most things on ECM.
    Two things have opened my ears over the last 5 years.
    The first was moving from physical recorded media to streaming (Qobuz in my case) It’s so easy to find new things you like and also great to find stuff you don’t like without having shelled out £11.99 for the CD!
    The second was joining this forum and hearing, in many cases for the first time, the vast breadth of music that the members create and recommend. Thanks to all of you.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2021

In recent years, I found I liked watching people make music live and had little patience for music without any visual engagement.

I'm more interested in the people of music than the music per se. Who and How dominate the What.

Of course, finding this forum when I got a newer iPad took me in the direction of being a maker but in a very experimental way... never intending to work anything into a level of polished artifact.

But for a good 30 years, I consumed massive amounts of:
    1. vinyl products (in these years I was so interested in the "how of jazz" that just the sight of 2 ZZ's in a row would grab my attention. Like seeing "Pizza" on a store front.
    2. taped clones of vinyl (so I could have steady content for driving in my comuter years)
    3. CD's when I got a car with a CD player (more commuting)
    ... I ended up with 3 media copies of a lot of music.

Somewhere in here I shifted to spoken word (internet radio and tech conference tapes)
    then I tracked the earliest days of podcasting ("Daily Source Code" and Dave Winer)
    then the iPod and soon iPhone for more podcast user controller content
    very little music in these years
    Audio.us/forum and a new iPad and SoundCloud to archive my experiments and enjoy
    peers from the forum in their musical journey. Where can you hear some music and ask the creator questions about the process and usually get an answer?

But I think the music isn't my core interest... it's the makers that get my attention.

"Why do we create what we create? Why do you make these decisions? How did you make that sound?"

That's what drives me now...
    But I generally fall asleep with a pod cast in my ear.

• edited August 2021

@Telefunky Its still facinating ..... the unbridled hate for the ukelele

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Arthur Godfrey?

• I agree that playing/making music increases our appreciation of all that it takes to do it; no matter what kind. That’s why I enjoy the examples found here on the forum and hearing how the iOS tools are used no matter what style; it’s all fuel for some kind of use.
    But also I’ve found that when I’m actually playing/making music of any genres, ancient or modern or postmodern; it always feels like NOW. Not filtered through a classification. Yet when I’m only listening, (which I love to do) it’s easier to categorize and compare and nail to a certain time period.

• @LinearLineman said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Arthur Godfrey?

Im from the land of ukeleles. The amount of Jawaiian versions of Prince songs is astounding.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

don‘t worry... least favored is quite a distance from hated o:)

• @Telefunky said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Haha...no worries. I get it.....

• @Telefunky said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Check out the ronroco. It is officially a baritone charango, but to me it’s a cross between a ukulele and a mandolin, with magic fairy dust blessing the marriage. I started playing in January and it is now my favorite instrument.

• I now know what new look i need to go for. Either of those guys....