Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spatializer by quantovox - Released

Comments

• @quantovox said:

@Bob said:
    Bought the app, still getting used to...and looks fantastic!
    Question:
    How would the app be used on a master EDM track to widen the high end or maybe better: how to use it on full masters for any other purposes? I find having a stereo widener for the high end on the master pretty nice so would love to implement spatializer for this...

Hi Bob,
    Have you had a chance to try Spatializer for the purposes you describe? Since your question hasn't been answered yet, the best way forward perhaps is to experiment (or to address the users directly who posted about these topics earlier), first with presets and then by tweaking the settings. With respect to widening the high end, if you find the plugin's performance not fulfilling that goal to the extent you wished, you may look at using a 3rd party Mid/Side EQ plugin to shape the Side EQ curve a bit more freely, possibly boosting the high end. And in addition to that, perhaps look at lowering the timescale values, but then you may want to cut back the lows and mids. And even more elaborate setups could be created if necessary, but not sure if that's really the case. Would love to hear your feedback.
    Cheers!

@quantovox said:

@Bob said:
    Question:
    How would the app be used on a master EDM track to widen the high end or maybe better: how to use it on full masters for any other purposes? I find having a stereo widener for the high end on the master pretty nice so would love to implement spatializer for this...

Hi Bob,
    Have you had a chance to try Spatializer for the purposes you describe? Since your question hasn't been answered yet, the best way forward perhaps is to experiment (or to address the users directly who posted about these topics earlier), first with presets and then by tweaking the settings. With respect to widening the high end, if you find the plugin's performance not fulfilling that goal to the extent you wished, you may look at using a 3rd party Mid/Side EQ plugin to shape the Side EQ curve a bit more freely, possibly boosting the high end. And in addition to that, perhaps look at lowering the timescale values, but then you may want to cut back the lows and mids. And even more elaborate setups could be created if necessary, but not sure if that's really the case. Would love to hear your feedback.
    Cheers!

@quantovox
    Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, for widening high end I mostly rely on the FabFilter Q to boost dynamicaly in side mode.
    Last evening I have taken some time to use Spatializer on different instruments in my most recent track, going through the presets. (wish there were more...)
    I put on my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro) to hear the results more in depth and was TOTALY AMAZED by the soundfield placements of each preset.
    The differences were brilliant. This app opens up a totaly new mixing technique I will include in my future projects. I have checked other apps in this category: Haaze2 by Klevgrand, Widener as mentioned before, stereolags etc..
    I still need to check Jax Stereo tool, since I don't own this one, BUT...
    Spatializer is a must have and goes hand in hand when panning things.
    Your work is first class!

• @Bob said:

@quantovox said:

@Bob said:
    Question:

Hi Bob,
    Cheers!

@quantovox said:

@Bob said:
    Question:

Hi Bob,
    Cheers!

@quantovox
    Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, for widening high end I mostly rely on the FabFilter Q to boost dynamicaly in side mode.
    Last evening I have taken some time to use Spatializer on different instruments in my most recent track, going through the presets. (wish there were more...)
    I put on my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro) to hear the results more in depth and was TOTALY AMAZED by the soundfield placements of each preset.
    The differences were brilliant. This app opens up a totaly new mixing technique I will include in my future projects. I have checked other apps in this category: Haaze2 by Klevgrand, Widener as mentioned before, stereolags etc..
    I still need to check Jax Stereo tool, since I don't own this one, BUT...
    Spatializer is a must have and goes hand in hand when panning things.
    Your work is first class!

Glad to provide tools that you find useful in your creative work! And also thanks for sharing your feedback.

• @drewinnit said:
    Great work @DukeWonder I really enjoyed that beat

Thank you. Spatializer really helped give some space to the melody while keeping it clean.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks a lot for the update mobdro

• Thanks for the update @quantovox !
    It works fine on guitar.

• Has anyone put this on an 808 for widening or would that be an inappropriate use case? thanks!

• edited August 2021

@Zerozerozero said:
    Has anyone put this on an 808 for widening or would that be an inappropriate use case? thanks!

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

@DukeWonder 's first post on Aug 19 seems to incorporate a 808 with a Spatializer instance.

We also recorded a very quick run-through of some presets on a 808 track, which you can check:

Of course, beyond the presets there are many tweaking and fine-tuning possibilities.
    Hope this helps, and maybe others can still give feedback regarding setup and use with 808's in actual projects.

• @quantovox Any plans to bring plugins to macOS? I’m finding the lack of cross compatibility with some of my favorite apps disturbing now that I also have a desktop to manage.

• edited August 2021

“Don’t know what you got till it’s gone”.

• ballad by 80’s glam-rock band Cinderella.
    • what it feels like when you take Spatializer off the track
      BTW this is a huge compliment, in case it isn’t clear…
  • edited August 2021

@NeuM said:
    @quantovox Any plans to bring plugins to macOS? I’m finding the lack of cross compatibility with some of my favorite apps disturbing now that I also have a desktop to manage.

It is planned indeed. Also intended to enable M1 support originally, but we were advised that it would be pulled from the store automatically upon the release of a dedicated macOS version, so we need to clarify things a bit...

• @quantovox said:

@NeuM said:
    @quantovox Any plans to bring plugins to macOS? I’m finding the lack of cross compatibility with some of my favorite apps disturbing now that I also have a desktop to manage.

It is planned indeed. Also intended to enable M1 support originally, but we were advised that it would be pulled from the store automatically upon the release of a dedicated macOS version, so we need to clarify things a bit...

Good to hear.

• edited August 2021

@quantovox said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Has anyone put this on an 808 for widening or would that be an inappropriate use case? thanks!

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

@DukeWonder 's first post on Aug 19 seems to incorporate a 808 with a Spatializer instance.

We also recorded a very quick run-through of some presets on a 808 track, which you can check:

Of course, beyond the presets there are many tweaking and fine-tuning possibilities.
    Hope this helps, and maybe others can still give feedback regarding setup and use with 808's in actual projects.

For bass processing using this, would a mono-maker function make sense like on Brainworx plugins? Or can you already apply the effect to only above a certain frequency?

• @gusgranite said:

@quantovox said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

For bass processing using this, would a mono-maker function make sense like on Brainworx plugins? Or can you already apply the effect to only above a certain frequency?

The top right knobs help control which frequencies are expanded. But for finer control, I’d probably send to a bus, add a high pass filter, then throw on Spatializer.

• @DukeWonder said:

@gusgranite said:

@quantovox said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

The top right knobs help control which frequencies are expanded. But for finer control, I’d probably send to a bus, add a high pass filter, then throw on Spatializer.

Thanks. I was thinking that would be the setup but you always worry about things getting phasey if not controlled within the app.

• @gusgranite said:

@DukeWonder said:

@gusgranite said:

@quantovox said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

Thanks. I was thinking that would be the setup but you always worry about things getting phasey if not controlled within the app.

Fair point. I’ll probably try it myself some day soon to see what happens.

• edited August 2021

@gusgranite said:

@DukeWonder said:

@gusgranite said:

@quantovox said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

Indeed, both low and high shelf controls are available within the plugin, that can be used to limit the plugin's effect essentially (also, the default settings set the lower shelf to -36 dB).

If for some reason you need a sharp or otherwise complex EQ curve, an external side EQ tool can be used without any risk if the input was a mono source. Meaning, such a setup would be equivalent to having that EQ control inside the plugin (unless the external tool has an extreme uncompensated latency).
    For stereo inputs, you need a more elaborate setup to separate the original from the synthesized side channel information if you only want to change the latter. Even in that case, introducing phasing (i.e. a periodic series of symmetric peaks/notches in the magnitude response) is a practical impossibility.

• @quantovox said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

Many thanks @quantovox
    Great that it has the ability to only effect higher frequencies built in. Means I can eliminate an app from the chain with the way I was doing it previously. So pretty great for low end mono sources. Thanks again!

• @Zerozerozero said:

@quantovox said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Hi @Zerozerozero ,

Many thanks @quantovox
    Great that it has the ability to only effect higher frequencies built in. Means I can eliminate an app from the chain with the way I was doing it previously. So pretty great for low end mono sources. Thanks again!

No problem. Glad to provide answers!

• It looks like the visualization doesn’t work in cubasis😲
    Any tips??

• @DarkAum3o said:
    It looks like the visualization doesn’t work in cubasis😲
    Any tips??

The visualisation works in Cubasis 3.3.1. I’m using the AUv3 in a couple of current projects.

• Hey @quantovox and all, loving what I’m getting out of the app when I’m fiddling, but I’d also want to try the presets and the preset menu doesn’t show up when used as an AU in BM3. Watched a couple of tutorials where it was visible in other hosts.

• @quantovox I just did a test in AUM and noticed that the visualization of Spatializer does not work with a buffer setting of 2048 with samplerrate 44100. The other buffer sizes show a visualization.

@DarkAum3o are you using a long buffer setting in Cubasis ?

• Response from Quantovox dev regarding presets in BM3:

Indeed, BM3 doesn't offer its own in-app preset selection UI for AUv3's. We've included a warning about this in the app description, but indeed it is not an ideal situation, given how important presets are in our case.
    I'm happy to inform you that this is our top priority item for the next app update, unfortunately due to a number of factors, it will probably take several weeks to release the update.
    Sorry for the inconvenience. An app update is definitely on the way to include an on-screen preset UI within the AUv3.

Thanks @quantovox !

Dev is super responsive and that’s all I can ask. Fix is coming so also great

• edited November 2021

With great regret, I’ve only very recently employed mid-side with EQ treatment. All these years I’ve always seen the mid-side option on various EQs. I didn’t understand it, remained ignorant, and carried on. Better late that never I suppose.

I’ve read every single post in this thread. Am I understanding correctly, that unlike an EQ with M/S, Spatializer can affect a mono source?

Also, I’m aware that Spatializer is capable of more than stereo widening, but since I’ve never used a widening app, I’m curious, if this is applied to a master that has been mixed down using hard LCR panning, is it even possible to make the result sound wider?

• @DarkAum3o said:
    It looks like the visualization doesn’t work in cubasis😲
    Any tips??

Was this resolved? If it's re> @_ki said:

@quantovox I just did a test in AUM and noticed that the visualization of Spatializer does not work with a buffer setting of 2048 with samplerrate 44100. The other buffer sizes show a visualization.

@DarkAum3o are you using a long buffer setting in Cubasis ?

@_ki Thanks for discovering this issue with the large buffer size. We'll aim to release a fix with the next update very soon.

• edited November 2021

Hi @Blipsford_Baubie,

I’ve read every single post in this thread. Am I understanding correctly, that unlike an EQ with M/S, Spatializer can affect a mono source?

Yes, in essence, Spatializer is a tool for side channel synthesis.

Also, I’m aware that Spatializer is capable of more than stereo widening, but since I’ve never used a widening app, I’m curious, if this is applied to a master that has been mixed down using hard LCR panning, is it even possible to make the result sound wider?

Spatializer works best when there is ample Mid channel content present (such cases also enable Spatializer to produce the most flat frequency response). So it will definitely make the centered portions wider, but it could affect the hard-panned parts in a way that may or may not be preferred.

We've generally advised against using it on hard-panned parts (actually it's in the quick start guide), but that's coming from a purist audio engineering / DSP perspective and from a standpoint of whether Spatializer delivers an added value in such cases compared to other tools. Which means, creatively, some may prefer the effect - there is an example of that in Jade Starr's review video on YouTube. So this probably applies to LCR mixes, but it's an area we would like to see more feedback from the community.

• Two questions; does it work with nanostudio? And in a live setting you need at least two speakerboxes to sound good, not? I probably only have money for one, thanks and this is a great forum.

• @rolandobabel said:
    Two questions; does it work with nanostudio? And in a live setting you need at least two speakerboxes to sound good, not? I probably only have money for one, thanks and this is a great forum.

The plugin is compatible with Nanostudio 2 - we've recently released a long-requested update that improves BM3 and Nanostudio experience (by no longer requiring host app-provided UI's for preset selection).

As to the second question: that's correct, the effect doesn't add to the sound if you only use it in a single-speaker setup.

• @NeuM said:

We've just released a new version that is compatible with macOS Monterey running on M1-based macs. It is a free update (the mac app store may show a price and a buy button, but at the very last step it will indicate that there was no charge).

Somewhat shockingly, AUv3's are still a second-class citizen on macOS, with slightly reduced feature sets and numerous host app bugs. This was a journey well outside our comfort zone, and may be a bumpy ride going forward. If we were to develop a full-priced standalone desktop plugin, AUv2 would have no real alternative today (but that's not the direction we're taking at least right now with Spatializer).
    However, AUv3 is definitely the future, and we hope that the rate of adoption will gain some momentum, and we're glad to be part of that.

The way forward will primarily depend on community feedback, please don't hesitate to contact us to share your feedback.
    Please also check out the macOS notes in the main app, we'll keep it regularly updated.