Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spatializer by quantovox - Released

Comments

• Congrats Mister @quantovox! I am a tart for space, so welcome your efforts (as we do your presence here on the fourm etc).

• edited August 2021

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Congrats Mister @quantovox! I am a tart for space, so welcome your efforts (as we do your presence here on the fourm etc).

Just an update: iPhone version is coming up nicely, plus we're lowering the OS requirement to iOS version 12.1. Garageband Smart Instrument fix is being added as well.

We'll extend the intro offer period to accommodate customers with iPhones.

We're advising users that some future updates or features may not be available for iOS 12, but we're aiming to provide a solid product available for them as long as reasonably possible.

Cheers

• @quantovox,

Nagyon klassz az app! Egyelőre még csak próbálgatom, de nagyon tetszik! ;)

• @GLacey said:
    @quantovox,

Nagyon klassz az app! Egyelőre még csak próbálgatom, de nagyon tetszik! ;)

تطبيق رائع جدا! ما زلت أحاول الآن ، لكني أحب ذلك حقًا!

• @quantovox said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Congrats Mister @quantovox! I am a tart for space, so welcome your efforts (as we do your presence here on the fourm etc).

Just an update: iPhone version is coming up nicely, plus we're lowering the OS requirement to iOS version 12.1. Garageband Smart Instrument fix is being added as well.

We're advising users that some future updates or features may not be available for iOS 12, but we're aiming to provide a solid product available for them as long as reasonably possible.

Cheers

Making this work with GB’s built-in guitars would be nice also. Very aggravating getting a message that this app refuses to play because of some trivial reason.

• edited August 2021

@NeuM said:

@quantovox said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Cheers

Making this work with GB’s built-in guitars would be nice also. Very aggravating getting a message that this app refuses to play because of some trivial reason.

In situations like that, please don't hesitate to drop us an email using the contact information listed on the support page (linked from the app store page).

Not going to offer here a detailed insight into how trivial the reasons are, but we're happy to inform you that the issue is being worked on right now. We appreciate your patience and hope to improve your experience with the update that's coming soon. Thanks.

• edited August 2021

@quantovox said:
    @NeuM said:

@quantovox said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Cheers

In situations like that, please don't hesitate to drop us an email using the contact information listed on the support page (linked from the app store page).

Not going to offer here a detailed insight into how trivial the reasons are, but we're happy to inform you that the issue is being worked on right now. We appreciate your patience and hope to improve your experience with the update that's coming soon. Thanks.

Sorry, didn’t mean to imply the reasons may not be trivial from a programming standpoint. From a user’s point of view, anything which prevents an app from functioning in an expected way is a point of aggravation. From my perspective, if this app does not do the job, Infected Mushroom’s free “Wider” app is next in line.

• @NeuM said:

@quantovox said:
    @NeuM said:

@quantovox said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Cheers

Sorry, didn’t mean to imply the reasons may not be trivial from a programming standpoint. From a user’s point of view, anything which prevents an app from functioning in an expected way is a point of aggravation.

As users of different products ourselves, that is of course understood and appreciated :)

• McDMcD
    edited August 2021

I'm finding that for a very nature sounding mix this app is replacing reverbs on my mastering bus. It provides a very convincing sense of room with depth. It doesn't extend to "spaces" beyond rooms but it is so conservative on CPU you can also add a "SpaceVerb" effect.

Being able to move AUM project to my iPhone and have this little gem in the mix will be a nice bonus.

• @quantovox said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Cheers

This thing sounds really great. Very impressed.

• I bought Spatializer but have only done a quick test so far. I do think it sounds very natural and nore focused than a reverb, not so washy.
    But im confused. Is this a reverb or a widening effect?. Or both?.

• @tahiche said:
    I bought Spatializer but have only done a quick test so far. I do think it sounds very natural and nore focused than a reverb, not so washy.

Well obviously it’s a spatializer ;)

• @DukeWonder said:

@tahiche said:
    I bought Spatializer but have only done a quick test so far. I do think it sounds very natural and nore focused than a reverb, not so washy.

Well obviously it’s a spatializer ;)

“Welcome to Space!”

• @tahiche said:

It's a new category... a "Roominator". The whole idea of a room involves adding reverberations off the walls. It can make you sound like you do in the shower for example.

• @quantovox I think I want this... but I'm apprehensive that your only other app was released in 2015 and never got another update past version 1.0. The app is Living Paint and it looks very interesting. But since it hasn't been updated since 2015 I'm concerned it may not work with the latest iOS? If it does, do you have any plans for any further development of that app?

I'm interested in Spatializer because I was testing a couple of basic bluetooth travel speakers. I bought 2 because they can be paired with L/R channels going to each. They're inexpensive but sound decent.

Anyway... I testing them on different music by themselves. I was listening to some synth music (Pauline Anna Strom -Trans-Millenia Music) and some of the details sounded like they were coming from behind be left. I tried it outside on the patio and some of the details sounded like they were coming from about 10meters behind the speakers and to the right.

These aren't particularly impressive speakers... so it had to be some trickery in the mix.

Could Spatializer handle some kind of spatial illusions like this? Or, is the effect more subtle than that?

• edited August 2021

@skiphunt said:
    @quantovox I think I want this... but I'm apprehensive that your only other app was released in 2015 and never got another update past version 1.0. The app is Living Paint and it looks very interesting. But since it hasn't been updated since 2015 I'm concerned it may not work with the latest iOS? If it does, do you have any plans for any further development of that app?

Well it's a free app, so no risk in trying (yes, it works on the latest iOS version). The main reason for not receiving updates is that we haven't really received user feedback for it and it was a highly experimental venture. We actually pulled it temporarily recently, but decided to leave it up for getting valuable feedback as there have been a number of fresh downloads. We actually renewed the product plan for it very recently, hoping to turn it into something of a clearer interest for the visual artist community (among others). That would however need a sweeping revamp and would realistically point towards a totally new application. I hope this was both an ample answer and not overly long to be flagged off-topic :)

Could Spatializer handle some kind of spatial illusions like this? Or, is the effect more subtle than that?

We'll let the fine folks here try to give an answer to that first. However, there are two longer reviews on youtube currently available, and they both feature showing complete tracks with the effect turned off first, then having it on, which may be of interest for you to do a listening test with.

• @quantovox said:

@skiphunt said:
    @quantovox I think I want this... but I'm apprehensive that your only other app was released in 2015 and never got another update past version 1.0. The app is Living Paint and it looks very interesting. But since it hasn't been updated since 2015 I'm concerned it may not work with the latest iOS? If it does, do you have any plans for any further development of that app?

Well it's a free app, so no risk in trying (yes, it works on the latest iOS version). The main reason for not receiving updates is that we haven't really received user feedback for it and it was a highly experimental venture. We actually pulled it temporarily recently, but decided to leave it up for getting valuable feedback as there have been a number of fresh downloads. We actually renewed the product plan for it very recently, hoping to turn it into something of a clearer interest for the visual artist community (among others). That would however need a sweeping revamp and would realistically point towards a totally new application. I hope this was both an ample answer and not overly long to be flagged off-topic :)

Yes, I’m aware that it’s a free app but it has IAPs I was considering buying. I didn’t since it hadn’t had any updates since launch in 2015 and wondered if it had been abandoned.

It looks like a cool app. I wish you could hide that little triangle so that it wouldn’t be there in screen recordings.

If you could somehow make the next version both touch reactive AND audio reactive, I think you’d have a hit on your hands.

We'll let the fine folks here try to give an answer to that first. However, there are two longer reviews on youtube currently available, and they both feature showing complete tracks with the effect turned off first, then having it on, which may be of interest for you to do a listening test with.

I’ll look for the YouTube reviews. Any clue as to what they are called to help my search? I figured I’d just ask you since I figure (as the developer) you’re likely an authority on what Spatializer can and can’t do. ;)

• edited August 2021

@skiphunt said:
    It looks like a cool app. I wish you could hide that little triangle so that it wouldn’t be there in screen recordings.

Agreed. Maybe check the app from time to time, we may do a small update, but do expect the major revamp and maybe a different app altogether. Maybe drop us more feedback at the email address listed.

I’ll look for the YouTube reviews. Any clue as to what they are called to help my search? I figured I’d just ask you since I figure (as the developer) you’re likely an authority on what Spatializer can and can’t do. ;)

These two are the most in-depth I think:

In the first video from The Sound Test Room, the full mix test is at 17:49.
    You may search for "spatializer quantovox", and you'll find some other videos as well.

Yes we see the reasoning for asking the developer :)
    Ultimately in some ways this is a psychoacoustics tool, and on a more fundamental level, the input material (as well as different setups, effect chains) can give rise to different experiences as far as specific nuances go. We've already seen in responses that different people have different ideas and perceptions. We've been surprised many times by now, by reviewers and users here on this forum, and mostly in a very positive way, so we always look forward to any answers they give.

Speaker setup may also play a role, and the effect you described is not something we can give an engineering opinion on based on all the above. So we don't want to undersell or oversell it. Maybe just want to say that it is not a positioning tool that lets you set an exact 3d location and create a single virtual sound source (which is generally more sensitive to different playback conditions and will not have linear phase in the mid channel, which is the goal of this app - but of course the two approaches can be equally useful and have their distinct use cases). Rather, it is a widener that can give rise to spatial audio effects as an emergent property. Its primary function is to increase / fine-tune the distribution of sound energy across all the directions around the listener.

Hope this helps!

• Can someone save me the time needed to read through this whole thread and watch demos and advise if this is very different to Blue Mangoo’s Binaural Location?
    TIA

• @quantovox said:

@skiphunt said:

Agreed. Maybe check the app from time to time, we may do a small update, but do expect the major revamp and maybe a different app altogether. Maybe drop us more feedback at the email address listed.

These two are the most in-depth I think:

In the first video from The Sound Test Room, the full mix test is at 17:49.
    You may search for "spatializer quantovox", and you'll find some other videos as well.

Yes we see the reasoning for asking the developer :)
    Ultimately in some ways this is a psychoacoustics tool, and on a more fundamental level, the input material (as well as different setups, effect chains) can give rise to different experiences as far as specific nuances go. We've already seen in responses that different people have different ideas and perceptions. We've been surprised many times by now, by reviewers and users here on this forum, and mostly in a very positive way, so we always look forward to any answers they give.

Speaker setup may also play a role, and the effect you described is not something we can give an engineering opinion on based on all the above. So we don't want to undersell or oversell it. Maybe just want to say that it is not a positioning tool that lets you set an exact 3d location and create a single virtual sound source (which is generally more sensitive to different playback conditions and will not have linear phase in the mid channel, which is the goal of this app - but of course the two approaches can be equally useful and have their distinct use cases). Rather, it is a widener that can give rise to spatial audio effects as an emergent property. Its primary function is to increase / fine-tune the distribution of sound energy across all the directions around the listener.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! This answers all my questions completely and concisely. Cheers :)

• @TimRussell said:
    Can someone save me the time needed to read through this whole thread and watch demos and advise if this is very different to Blue Mangoo’s Binaural Location?
    TIA

Yes, it’s different from Binaural Location. I must say, this app does better with midrange audio than higher end frequencies and even then the differences are quite subtle. It’s not like each option is radically different from each other. If you can listen to the samples in the videos above you’ll be doing yourself a favor.

• I wanted to buy it but only iOS 13.6 and I'm on 13.4 something.
    It's a shame,the app sounds great.it would have worked like a charm on guitars.

• @flo26 said:
    I wanted to buy it but only iOS 13.6 and I'm on 13.4 something.

Compatibility back to 12.1 is coming!

• @mjcouche said:

@flo26 said:

Cool!
    Thanks for the info.

• @flo26 said:

@mjcouche said:

@flo26 said:

Cool!
    Thanks for the info.

Plugged in my guitar, added Spatializer to the mix in AUM,
    played Emaj/A sus2 along with some lead lines
    for about 45mins listening on headphones.

It seemed to liven up the sound quite well.
    I think you would enjoy it.

• Here’s a brief demo on my iPhone, posted with permission from @quantovox. I play the tune with Spatializer off, then on, then add other effects, and turn Spatializer off again. You can really hear the depth added to the keys, bass, and drums.

• hi folks! fwiw, Spatializer is working wonders for me in front of my goto reverbs (short Eos plates > Blackhole space) to glue clean guitar and ambient reverb together. it seems to make the reverberant space and locality more real and cohesive. perhaps it fills in a sense of local space missing in ambient reverbs? quite lovely and a bit magical. big thanks @quantovox! /dan

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The GB 22> @quantovox said:

@NeuM said:

@quantovox said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Cheers

I’m currently using Spatializer to identify suspect GB instruments that are running at 22.05…once you update the app…can you put leave some fine print somewhere in the GUI that reveals the current sample rate? This GB issue has been annoying for quite sometime

• edited August 2021

@realdawei said:
    The GB 22> @quantovox said:

@NeuM said:

@quantovox said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Cheers

I’m currently using Spatializer to identify suspect GB instruments that are running at 22.05…once you update the app…can you put leave some fine print somewhere in the GUI that reveals the current sample rate? This GB issue has been annoying for quite sometime

Yes the readout of the current (unsupported) sample rate was the first thing we added (were quite baffled by the less-than-cd-quality case). Everything is looking good for the update that's coming in a few days hopefully. Also thanks for @NeonSilicon for the initial pointers.

Wait... you mean to always display the sampling rate, even when it's supported?