Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spatializer by quantovox - Released

Comments

• @quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    How do you bring the presets up in BM3 not seeing the studio tab?

Developer here. Unfortunately since we have no UI within the plugin for preset management, we rely on the host to provide its own preset UI. This is an issue with BM3 and NanoStudio.
    Unfortunately we only included a warning about this in the app description for our first maintenance release that is upcoming.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Adding a preset UI is in the works, we'll see if we can expedite it and decouple it from other features being added.

@quantovox Cheers that great news sorry I missed the warning.

I was also getting a sample rate warning in GarageBand using the plug-in which I’ve never seen before. Probably not related to Spatializer but thought I better mention it.

No, actually we didn't manage to put the warning in time for the first release... So it's on us.
    The sample rate warning though... It would be very helpful if you could tell me the sample rate you're using in garageband. Could you please get a reading of that from the settings. I take it it's not an intermittent error, but a persistent one? And basically the plugin is just passing thru the input, right?

@quantovox from what I can see I can’t find the sample rate setting under settings or advanced in GarageBand. Just shows a bit rate setting.

• edited August 2021

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Developer here. Unfortunately since we have no UI within the plugin for preset management, we rely on the host to provide its own preset UI. This is an issue with BM3 and NanoStudio.
    Unfortunately we only included a warning about this in the app description for our first maintenance release that is upcoming.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Adding a preset UI is in the works, we'll see if we can expedite it and decouple it from other features being added.

I was also getting a sample rate warning in GarageBand using the plug-in which I’ve never seen before. Probably not related to Spatializer but thought I better mention it.

No, actually we didn't manage to put the warning in time for the first release... So it's on us.
    The sample rate warning though... It would be very helpful if you could tell me the sample rate you're using in garageband. Could you please get a reading of that from the settings. I take it it's not an intermittent error, but a persistent one? And basically the plugin is just passing thru the input, right?

@quantovox from what I can see I can’t find the sample rate setting under settings or advanced in GarageBand. Just shows a bit rate setting.

@Jumpercollins can you tell me the name of the sample/loop pack (and specifically the sample) or softsynth, etc. you're trying to use? Basically as much as info as you can share.

• @quantovox said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

(*** removed screenshot to reduce screen spam ***)

Some tracks in GB on iOS are running at a 20kHz sample rate. This could be the cause of the warning. I put up a warning on a some of my AU's if a lower sample rate will impact the results.

Oh, that's very interesting. Unfortunately Spatializer cannot support anything other than 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz (as mentioned in the app description) due to a very elaborate approach of delivering as consistent responses as possible across the different sampling rates. Although it would be great to get a better understanding of how much impact this issue has in terms of people actually following these usage patterns in GB.

It's sampled tracks in GB that can (not all do) run at 22.05kHz. Probably the easiest way to handle it in your case would be to upsample by a factor of 2 to get to 44.1kHz. I do this in one of my AU's and it works reliably in GB because I think the only sample rates you will see there are 22.05 and 44.1. In a couple of my AU's that use oversampling already I adjust the amount of oversampling for those tracks that are below 44.1kHz. In one of my apps, I display the warning but then block the filters from going above Nyquist in the low sample rate tracks so the AU can run anyway. I give the warning so users might understand why boosting the EQ at 12kHz isn't doing anything to the sound.

I see. Thanks for sharing this. Admittedly it's a tricky situation since delays introduced by a resampler have a very strong psychoacoustic characteristic in this use case, and then there's the question of linear phase. And DAW latency compensation is not as clear cut either, looking at all the various host issues a developer already faces. We had previously been heavily involved with a comparatively large effort for creating a realtime resampling engine for iOS, and it's a very tricky area in terms of balancing delays, aliasing, and computational requirements. Of course one cannot be a complete DSP purist (regarding aliasing which you won't escape in a realtime resampler), but if a sound engineering product can be designed to avoid most of these issues, there must be a very substantial reason to give up some of the those qualities. Having separate realtime / rendering modes of course helps alleviate these, as long as users who are more invested in online (realtime) use understand the downside. At this point I would still like to better gauge how widespread this problem is, and if a user-friendly workaround exists within the host, that would be much preferred to the viper's nest that is resampling in a (quasi) spatial audio product.

We could also accomodate an approach to add more specific sampling rates to support, if there is a discrete set that is not too numerous. But that makes the most sense after a period of collecting such feedback, and weighing all options.

On GarageBand, I've never seen anything other than 44.1kHz and 22.05kHz. I haven't seen anything documenting this, so I can't say for sure they haven't done anything else. But, I haven't seen anything else in GB. Several of the "Smart Instruments" are at half sample rate. Look at a Smart Strings track for example, they are reported at 22050.0Hz.

There are some other hosts around that can use other rates, but adding 22.05kHz is going to cover almost all of the cases your users are likely to see

• Thank you so much

• @NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Some tracks in GB on iOS are running at a 20kHz sample rate. This could be the cause of the warning. I put up a warning on a some of my AU's if a lower sample rate will impact the results.

Oh, that's very interesting. Unfortunately Spatializer cannot support anything other than 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz (as mentioned in the app description) due to a very elaborate approach of delivering as consistent responses as possible across the different sampling rates. Although it would be great to get a better understanding of how much impact this issue has in terms of people actually following these usage patterns in GB.

It's sampled tracks in GB that can (not all do) run at 22.05kHz. Probably the easiest way to handle it in your case would be to upsample by a factor of 2 to get to 44.1kHz. I do this in one of my AU's and it works reliably in GB because I think the only sample rates you will see there are 22.05 and 44.1. In a couple of my AU's that use oversampling already I adjust the amount of oversampling for those tracks that are below 44.1kHz. In one of my apps, I display the warning but then block the filters from going above Nyquist in the low sample rate tracks so the AU can run anyway. I give the warning so users might understand why boosting the EQ at 12kHz isn't doing anything to the sound.

I see. Thanks for sharing this. Admittedly it's a tricky situation since delays introduced by a resampler have a very strong psychoacoustic characteristic in this use case, and then there's the question of linear phase. And DAW latency compensation is not as clear cut either, looking at all the various host issues a developer already faces. We had previously been heavily involved with a comparatively large effort for creating a realtime resampling engine for iOS, and it's a very tricky area in terms of balancing delays, aliasing, and computational requirements. Of course one cannot be a complete DSP purist (regarding aliasing which you won't escape in a realtime resampler), but if a sound engineering product can be designed to avoid most of these issues, there must be a very substantial reason to give up some of the those qualities. Having separate realtime / rendering modes of course helps alleviate these, as long as users who are more invested in online (realtime) use understand the downside. At this point I would still like to better gauge how widespread this problem is, and if a user-friendly workaround exists within the host, that would be much preferred to the viper's nest that is resampling in a (quasi) spatial audio product.

We could also accomodate an approach to add more specific sampling rates to support, if there is a discrete set that is not too numerous. But that makes the most sense after a period of collecting such feedback, and weighing all options.

On GarageBand, I've never seen anything other than 44.1kHz and 22.05kHz. I haven't seen anything documenting this, so I can't say for sure they haven't done anything else. But, I haven't seen anything else in GB. Several of the "Smart Instruments" are at half sample rate. Look at a Smart Strings track for example, they are reported at 22050.0Hz.

There are some other hosts around that can use other rates, but adding 22.05kHz is going to cover almost all of the cases your users are likely to see

Thank you. We're going to schedule adding 22050 Hz support.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox I was using the smart instrument guitar so probably that reading the last comments.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox I was using the smart instrument guitar so probably that reading the last comments.

@Jumpercollins Thanks for raising this. We are going to extend sample rate support to cover Smart Instruments. We're adding this to the feature pipeline, and will keep everyone posted.

• I tried this on a few things of mine, this is going to be the archetype secret sauce app. Adding a little is very subtle but if you take it away you can tell that something is missing. Brilliant work, I love it. Perfect first app to release, welcome to iOS music production. May the app store shower you with money so you can release many more updates and apps :).

• @quantovox said:

@gregsmith said:
    @quantovox sorry to be ‘that guy’ but are there any plans to make this universal? (Iphone compatible)

@gregsmith said:
    @quantovox sorry to be ‘that guy’ but are there any plans to make this universal? (Iphone compatible)

Yes, it's the highest priority feature in the pipeline right now.

This was going to be my first question. Excellent to hear.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Does it set itself above the good free option, Wider by IM?

Yes.

The additional of the front/back and reverb features provide a sound
    that's unique in the IOS tool box. The combination of Wider and a good reverb
    gets you close but the clarity of this apps sound is remarkable... it's on the same
    tier as the DDMF FX apps for not corrupting the signal but making it better. It's
    a very comforting sound with Spatializer in the FX chain.

Like DDMF it's the work of a single developer that has excellent signal processing skills
    and (for me) a good sense of a solid "studio" user interface. It has a niche audience
    and I recommend you pick it up for the info sale price because $10 will make it harder.

Music should, but rarely does, occupy 3 dimensions. Expand your aural field. Place your music into a discrete space.

• @McD said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    Does it set itself above the good free option, Wider by IM?

Yes.

The additional of the front/back and reverb features provide a sound
    that's unique in the IOS tool box. The combination of Wider and a good reverb
    gets you close but the clarity of this apps sound is remarkable... it's on the same
    tier as the DDMF FX apps for not corrupting the signal but making it better. It's
    a very comforting sound with Spatializer in the FX chain.

Like DDMF it's the work of a single developer that has excellent signal processing skills
    and (for me) a good sense of a solid "studio" user interface. It has a niche audience
    and I recommend you pick it up for the info sale price because $10 will make it harder.

Music should, but rarely does, occupy 3 dimensions. Expand your aural field. Place your music into a discrete space.

Agreed.

It's a unique audio tool.

Wider by IM is a ms-decoder whilst this app does something else.
    Being able to place a sound at the front, behind
    or to the side is very useful in stereo imaging.
    With subtle eq you can create a space without using traditional reverb.

• @Gravitas said:

This seems super interesting. How it works with headphones?

I know that for simulating a space in a mix they are far from ideal, but I’m still far of completing my studio with a good pair of speakers and an audio interface, so I do all the mixes with my ATH-M40X headphones.

• edited August 2021

@Pynchon said:

@Gravitas said:

This seems super interesting. How it works with headphones?

I know that for simulating a space in a mix they are far from ideal, but I’m still far of completing my studio with a good pair of speakers and an audio interface, so I do all the mixes with my ATH-M40X headphones.

On headphones?

You're going to have a wonderful time.

I've been doing most of my listening in regards to this app on headphones.
    When I switched on the studio monitors this morning the effect translated really well.

• @quantovox said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Brilliant! Is it intro discounted at the moment or is this the normal price?

• @gregsmith said:

@quantovox said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Intro price should be in effect until August 20, yes.

• @quantovox said:
    We had previously been heavily involved with a comparatively large effort for creating a realtime resampling engine for iOS, and it's a very tricky area in terms of balancing delays, aliasing, and computational requirements.

Did it ever see the light of day?

• @quantovox

Out of curiosity, what other effects do you have lined up for the future?

• @Gravitas said:
    @quantovox

Caution to developers (and indirectly to customers)... it's always a bad idea to
    forecast the future.

Shit happens. Sometimes "implied" features never ship ("NS2") due to a change
    in the amount of time available to write/test code. Development effort is tragically difficult to estimate accurately and it's always too aggressive ("Loopy Ultra-Pro-Masterpiece").
    The job never gets easier than expected.

When there's a beta ready for testing then the word will get out.

For conversational purposes, what FX category is underserved on IOS now?

• @McD said:

@Gravitas said:
    @quantovox

Caution to developers (and indirectly to customers)... it's always a bad idea to
    forecast the future.

Thanks for the cautionary words.

I shan’t ask another developer what
    they would like to create again.

For conversational purposes, what FX category is underserved on IOS now?

• @Gravitas said:

You can ask but try not to be offended when there isn't a reply. A good lawyer
    will advise you to never put anything in writing unless there's a benefit to the exposure
    of expectation.

How many developers post their plans here? If they did, how did it work out?

• @quantovox said:

@gregsmith said:

@quantovox said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Do you plan to have the Universal update in before the sale ends?

• @McD said:

@Gravitas said:

will advise you to never put anything in writing unless there's a benefit to the exposure
    of expectation.

For a question like that?

It's customary to let the dev or creative reply themselves.
    As you asserted yourself as spokesperson?
    I was offended hence my reply.
    I don't actually even need to explain myself to you
    I'm doing so out of courtesy.

As a creative I have been asked many times over
    throughout the course of my career what plans do I have?
    Whether those plans happen or not?
    It's nice to discuss the future rather than sitting there waiting to be fed.

Also furthermore I do have a good lawyer, actually two.
    We quite often have discussions about the future
    and they make sure I get it down on paper or more.

I haven't noticed.

• @DukeWonder said:

@quantovox said:

See... @quantovox mention Universal is on the top of the priority list and then the
    sample rate issue was discovered. August 20 is 14 days away. Announcing a plan around a fixed date is probably not a great idea unless the feature has already been tested and proven to work.

For this app, universal is probably all about the user interface being tweaked for smaller
    interfaces. The DDMF guy just shrinks the UI and ships it... I create by "presets" in AUM and
    drop the AUM project on my iPhone to avoid having to move those super small knobs. But I'm sure there are iPhone only users that get really frustrated trying to hit the little "volume control" dot accurately in the Magic Death Eye apps.

• edited August 2021

@Gravitas said:

@McD said:

@Gravitas said:

of expectation.

I haven't noticed.

Agreed. It’s surprising, flattering and enjoyable when people ask me what kind of songs I’ve been making lately. It gives me an indirect way of talking about myself without feeling egotistical. People actually interested in listening doesn’t happen very often.

Obviously a dev (or any other person in general) may not want to spend the time on the forum chitchatting instead of using it as a “tool” for quick technical feedback. But it don’t hurt to ask.

• Wow things got a bit heated you guys.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Gravitas said:

@McD said:

@Gravitas said:

of expectation.

I haven't noticed.

Agreed. It’s surprising, flattering and enjoyable when people ask me what kind of songs I’ve been making lately. It gives me an indirect way of talking about myself without feeling egotistical. People actually interested in listening doesn’t happen very often.

Exactly this.
    It encourages.
    Creatives love talking about their creations.

Obviously a dev (or any other person in general) may not want to spend the time on the forum chitchatting instead of using it as a “tool” for quick technical feedback.

If I were a dev and the only thing I could discuss was a problem
    or when is the next update coming out to fix a problem?
    then I would be so discouraged.

What about the creative uses?
    What about potential spinoffs?
    What about ,'hey, let's try something new?'

But it don’t hurt to ask.

Agreed.

• @oat_phipps said:

Sure. The question hangs in the air on a thread where the developer has been engaged.
    I'd expect there to be no answer.

With the best of intentions to take a bit of pressure off the developer and
    maintain an open dialogue. For me a question about future plans with a developer
    in in the same category as asking a co-worker about their salary. I can understand why
    you'd like to know... but I respect that fact the the best answer is probably silence.

You'd likely be offended if there's no reply from the developer too which is why I tend to
    assert myself and sometimes a developer will let me know they appreciate not documenting a future because it's often done in haste and results in the kind of attacks
    we see for Matt mentioning audio tracks and never getting to a finished implementation.

I'm still preaching to the choir and you're take is understandable but I can deal with the
    negative feedback because I've seen too many cases where developers carry the weight of
    missed expectations.

Of course, reporters and customers always want disclosure on the future.

It's nice for the customer or journalist but a bear trap for a developer, IMHO unless
    the feature is past the testing phase. Shit happens. Plan on it.

Wow. Did you just switch to having a lawyer for holding a creative accountable for
    deliverables? or are you using a lawyer to assure that the future is covered by suitable
    caveats?

I haven't noticed.

Probably hasn't happened often. @Michael did it because he thought "Uber Loopy" was
    a month or 2 away from being fully baked. Oops. Matt disclosed his roadmap. Double oops.

Hardly the same relationship between creative and consumer. Most of us can't give away our songs let alone sell them. I don't think that's really a reflection on the music by the way but more a function of the difficulty in marketing music as a product in the age streaming.

Obviously a dev (or any other person in general) may not want to spend the time on the forum chitchatting instead of using it as a “tool” for quick technical feedback. But it don’t hurt to ask.

It doesn't hurt the asker... I'm contending that is not the best idea for the dev. I've seen some well meaning dev's and product managers that try to use this forum for capturing
    input from potential customers and disappeared into the night thinking "I won't try that again."

The Forum's "third rail" topics are:
    subscription-based pricing
    re-branding Desktop software as IOS cripple-ware gateways to the desktop cash cow
    and free apps that need a large bundle of IAP's to be useful

TL; but you made it too here... it's a slow news day.

This is a very well made app... keeping on page one is a service to the developer to get out the word.

• @DukeWonder said:

@quantovox said:

@gregsmith said:

@quantovox said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

That's an understandable question indeed. To give you a direct answer, the original launch offer wasn't planned with an iPhone release in mind, and at this moment it still isn't. That's not to say that we may not revise this if more details surface. Sorry for not being able to provide more clarity as things stand now.

• edited August 2021

@McD said:

@oat_phipps said:

Sure. The question hangs in the air on a thread where the developer has been engaged.
    I'd expect there to be no answer.

With the best of intentions to take a bit of pressure off the developer and
    maintain an open dialogue. For me a question about future plans with a developer
    in in the same category as asking a co-worker about their salary. I can understand why
    you'd like to know... but I respect that fact the the best answer is probably silence.

You'd likely be offended if there's no reply from the developer too which is why I tend to
    assert myself and sometimes a developer will let me know they appreciate not documenting a future because it's often done in haste and results in the kind of attacks
    we see for Matt mentioning audio tracks and never getting to a finished implementation.

I'm still preaching to the choir and you're take is understandable but I can deal with the
    negative feedback because I've seen too many cases where developers carry the weight of
    missed expectations.

Of course, reporters and customers always want disclosure on the future.

It's nice for the customer or journalist but a bear trap for a developer, IMHO unless
    the feature is past the testing phase. Shit happens. Plan on it.

Wow. Did you just switch to having a lawyer for holding a creative accountable for
    deliverables? or are you using a lawyer to assure that the future is covered by suitable
    caveats?

I haven't noticed.

Probably hasn't happened often. @Michael did it because he thought "Uber Loopy" was
    a month or 2 away from being fully baked. Oops. Matt disclosed his roadmap. Double oops.

Hardly the same relationship between creative and consumer. Most of us can't give away our songs let alone sell them. I don't think that's really a reflection on the music by the way but more a function of the difficulty in marketing music as a product in the age streaming.

It doesn't hurt the asker... I'm contending that is not the best idea for the dev. I've seen some well meaning dev's and product managers that try to use this forum for capturing
    input from potential customers and disappeared into the night thinking "I won't try that again."

The Forum's "third rail" topics are:
    subscription-based pricing
    re-branding Desktop software as IOS cripple-ware gateways to the desktop cash cow
    and free apps that need a large bundle of IAP's to be useful

TL; but you made it too here... it's a slow news day.

This is a very well made app... keeping on page one is a service to the developer to get out the word.

Fair enough to all your points, I have no need to extend the quarrel and respect your POV, but I favor the opposite.

I was thinking of how bram just ignores most posts that are too far beyond the scope of his vision and nobody ever makes a big deal about it, as it should be. But now I do recall the other developers who have been run off. I was even responsible for one, though I was just being honest and wasn’t insulting at all about it. Yet still, I don’t believe in assuming the lead and taking the defensive for someone unless they are not around and wouldn’t be able to reply.

It’s all good. I do have a tiny consumer base consumer base, though (far less than making a living support, so I can’t call it professional even though I probably have the credentials to justifiably call myself a professional musician).

• Placing instruments in the 3D space without reverb sounds marvelous. Must be cos I’m pretty shitty at reverb, but with reverb I feel like it’s the instrument or sound source + the reverb somewhere else and gets too washy. I actually explored this idea Sofaistic Spatial Exploration (look ma’ no reverb) 🧘🏻‍♂️. Just bought it, I’m really looking forward to trying this and see what it can do. Thanks!