Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Im looking for a unidirectional headset mic with broadcast quality.

Hi guys I thought this might be a good place to ask this question. I want to do videos of me talking and looping and have decided to do that with a headset so I can hear myself and loops but I can't seem to find one that exists that has a hi quality unidirectional mic (I want to block out background noises as much as possible) That plugs into my iPhone 11 Pro. I like using the proximity effect for a bassy voice and beatboxing. The route that I have taken so far and has cost me a lot of money is -
I had a shure mv88+ which I used some camera mounting GoPro type mounty things and glued it to a pair of headphones. This was actually pretty awesome but quite heavy, the big problem is that the mini usb input pulled off of the circuit board and now doesn't work anymore. So then I tried another mic I had laying around which was a shure sm35 headset (which I also glued onto the side of my headphones) mic which came with a normal xlr adapter but needs phantom volts so I used a centrance mixer face which did the job nicely but seems to overheat and have weird buggy issues, not sure if I have a dud or not.
I then tried Logitech g733 but has awful mic, then a corsair virtuoso which has a decent-ish mic but its omnidirectional and picks up all the background sounds and also I can't change the mic gain.

I have spent so much time and money and things keep on failing, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of a path I haven't ventured down or a set of headphones that have a really good mic on it. Keep in mind I need it easily portable so a broadcasting headset that has xlr and 3.5mm would require another sound card.

Comments

• Can’t really help you other to say that I’ve been looking for something similar. I want a good mic for capturing voice with a decent pair of headphones for monitoring. I’ve recently decided that I’ll likely have to separate these two concerns. Note that I’m also interested in limiting cords so I’ve been looking at the Rode Go series and perhaps a quality lav to plug in if the onboard mic doesn’t cut it. Still trying to figure out the monitoring.

• It's very hard to find a headset mic that will sound as good as a standalone. I've done a couple of courses for Lynda.com and they send out the audio gear in a Pelican case, with a $1000 interface (Sound Devices Pre 2) and a headset (either Sennheiser HMD300 Pro or Audio-Technica BPHS1) and both the headsets sound very thin compared to any kind of decent condenser or dynamic mic.

• @richardyot said:
    It's very hard to find a headset mic that will sound as good as a standalone. I've done a couple of courses for Lynda.com and they send out the audio gear in a Pelican case, with a $1000 interface (Sound Devices Pre 2) and a headset (either Sennheiser HMD300 Pro or Audio-Technica BPHS1) and both the headsets sound very thin compared to any kind of decent condenser or dynamic mic.

Yes, and a condenser or a dynamic mic won’t take much space in a portable rig but the mic stand that folds up for portability and can still handle the weight is a bit of a challenge. The search goes on.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Can’t really help you other to say that I’ve been looking for something similar. I want a good mic for capturing voice with a decent pair of headphones for monitoring. I’ve recently decided that I’ll likely have to separate these two concerns. Note that I’m also interested in limiting cords so I’ve been looking at the Rode Go series and perhaps a quality lav to plug in if the onboard mic doesn’t cut it. Still trying to figure out the monitoring.

Ive tried that, I have the wireless go. I can say that I do love it for interviews and vologging, it doesn't cut it for music but as it thins out the sound by data compression or however it works. I thought it might work too but I was underwhelmed by the quality drop compared to wired. I'm just trying to remember the setup, I think I had a phone mounted to my guitar running quantiloop and my sm35 headset mic glued to the guitar plugged into my centrance mixer face which has line out into the wireless go. As I had 4 tracks of audio being sent through the wireless go I think I was asking too much. Maybe just for Vox it might be alright but definitely a quality drop which makes me twitch and I just can't live with it. I would get a nux or lekato mw-1 wireless setup over a wireless go for quality if I were you

• edited August 2021

@richardyot said:
    It's very hard to find a headset mic that will sound as good as a standalone. I've done a couple of courses for Lynda.com and they send out the audio gear in a Pelican case, with a $1000 interface (Sound Devices Pre 2) and a headset (either Sennheiser HMD300 Pro or Audio-Technica BPHS1) and both the headsets sound very thin compared to any kind of decent condenser or dynamic mic.

its a lot of money to spend to find out they sound average, I bet my shure mv88+ setup sounded better than those headsets. I was really happy with the sound of that mic. I did an a/b test one day with that mic and my miktek cv4 and was really impressed with how well the shure stood up. When the micro usb section pulled of the circuit board I took it apart to see if I could solder it back on (which didn't work) but I noticed that if I wanted to I could extend the wire to the mic section and have the circuit board mounted somewhere else which would make the mic part small and light which would be the same size as the mic on those sennies so im really not shure ;) why no one has made a setup that has a decent mic on it. Maybe I should create my own and do a kickstarter project!

• Thanks for input, @theinfinate... You saved me time, money and aggravation with the Rode Go series as I think I'll pass based on your observations. I have heard from several people that I trust that the MV88+ punches above weight in terms of sound quality (I mean, up against a miktek CV4 :o ). I'll back your kickstarter if you go for it. There's absolutely a need for mobile recording.

• edited August 2021

For doing "en plain air" recordings, I wonder if I could clip the MV88+ to the bill of a baseball cap and run the USB-C to my iPad? Would also be handy to have the audio monitoring close to my ears!

• @theinfinate

When the micro usb section pulled of the circuit board I took it apart to see if I could solder it back on (which didn't work) but I noticed that if I wanted to I could extend the wire to the mic section and have the circuit board mounted somewhere else which would make the mic part small and light ...

it’s not advisable to extend the cable(s) between capsule and preamp - the capsule is an ultra-high impedance output that requires a connection as short as possible. ;)