Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Thx for the heads up, good to see my favourite guitar effects App make it on board!

• I forgot to add that it supports all three slots. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I probably will forego sleeping again tonight!

• Absolutely great news for us guitarists.

• No doubt. I've been waiting for this one.

• Oh, you beat us to it (but we respect that). Thanks!

We're very pleased to be On The Bus. We'll keep an eye out here for any comments, but be sure to use our in-app feedback or visit us at https://www.facebook.com/AmpKit for further developments.

• We don't waste any time on the bus!

• So far, I haven't had a problem. Using Guitarism on the IP with Ampkit in the effects, going into MT Daw. I haven't gotten around to checking the other slots or using a real guitar though.

• YES!!! It finally happened. Now just FL studio mobile, geo synth and Alchemy left in my AB waiting list :-D Awesome.

• Haven't tried FL studio, but I agree with the other candidates. MorphWiz and SampleWiz would be good to see on AB too. Has anyone heard from the devs on those?

• I don't really recommend Fl Studio mobile for new users until audiobus support happens. For me it was an instant buy because I've used the PC version for years. All and all it has some really nice functions but also some hideous ones. The way the effects work is very crappy, the internal instruments are weak and a lot of the navigation is very substandard. The step sequencer is great, it's been the FL staple since the beginning after all and the midi editor is great too and ability to import a lot of samples into the same instrument.. but these are things that are familiar to me so I don't recommend it at this point. If you use BM2 or Meteor they seem to do most of the same things but much easier for this interface. :-)

• Appreciate the insight @Ryan. I couldn't find a real reason to try FL, given that I don't use it on my desktop, and that confirmed my suspicions. I have BM2 and Meteor, and both seem quite capable, although I usually go the BM2 route.

• Wow this sounds absolutely fantastic! And I'm just talking about the starting preset on the free version...

• Indeed.the acoustic effects work a treat with guitarism.

• Absolutly awesome.........feeling like a kit in kindergarten with all his favourite toys.

• Obvious question: how does this compare to JamUp? That the effects are in stereo should produce a "fuller" sound, right? JamUp can sound very mono sometimes, even though it's an awesome app.

• ^ Is completely and totally biased.

• edited March 2013

Sometimes a mono guitar sits much better in a mix so the best of both worlds would be to have your choice, either stereo or mono.

• I have Amplitube, Amkit, and JamUp. I preferred Amkit's sounds and interface out of the three...right up until Audibus was released. Then Jamup won out for obvious reasons. I'm thrilled to have Ampkit back on my iPad now. I'll be honest, though, Jamup has grown on me. I'm going to have to live with both of them for a few days to figure out who wins a full-time spot on there.

• Isn't it going to be down to individual pedals/amps/cabs/mics? With both apps capable of input and effects slots, you may be able to use the best of each.

• How many of the effects in the Ampkit effects bundle are stereo?

• edited March 2013

Keeping in mind this was our first stereo release. We'll continue considering more for the future. Effects that are now Stereo:

D-Delay (Boss DD-7 Model)

Ensembly (Boss CE-5 Chorus Model)

The Lone Flanger (Agile Partners)

Phase '72 (MXR M101 Model)

Phunk Phaser (Dunlop UniVibe Model)

• edited March 2013

Cheers @bradley_ny

I forgot to ask and sorry if this is obvious/implied: are the heads/amps stereo then? Or would the stereo setup mean using just those pedals without an amp?

• edited March 2013

Both Jamup Pro and Ampkit are first class apps. Until now i was using Jamup for obvious reasons. Now it's time for Ampkit to kick in. The fact that they implemented stereo effects shows a step forward and for this they have my respect.

• edited March 2013

@syrupcore The stereo spread is only on certain effect pedals right now. I don't believe we've added the controls to any amp heads - but that's an ongoing possibility if we do a "Leslie" style amp in the future.

... and thanks! @Evangelos

• edited March 2013

Heh I hear that, I feel like I have this awesome JamUp here I'll never use again.. To bad i couldn't give it away! lol

@Michael_R_Grant In my opinion these are the things that Ampkit has over JamUp.
    -They worked together with Peavey
    -Sounds better
    -Unlimited effects (as many as you can handle at least)
    -Amp Channels, more amp options in general
    -Interchangeable Cabinets
    -Microphones and mic positioning
    -Easy to view descriptions for all effects, amps and mics
    -Backing Tracks
    -Dry recording inputs
    -Record wet and dry
    -Remix the effects on a recording without rerecording it
    -Wi-Fi server for transfer of Dry recording inputs, backing tracks, recordings etc..
    -Email presets to friends or between devices
    -On screen pressable toggles for multiple effects simultaneously (can use your foot to turn petals on and off)
    -More visually pleasing
    -Better feedback control
    -I/O gain master and per amp
    -More factory presets (after purchasing necessary gear)
    -Easier to save and navigate presets
    -Output shaping for better effects when playing alone or into a mix

That's all i can think of at the moment. There is probably more. :-)

• Thanks @bradley_ny. Still a little lost. I'm not asking the right question, apologies. I'll try to ask you about how a use case would turn out instead.

I put a stereo synth on the audiobus input and Ampkit in the effect slot. That stereo synth has panned oscillators - left is pitched down an octave, right is up an octave. I'm after: stereo in == same stereo out + effects.

a) If I understand you correctly, if I have only a stereo effect active in ampkit, I will get the same stereo signal back out + effects. The left will still be pitched down an octave as it records into the audiobus output.

b) If I want to use an amp somewhere in the Ampkit chain, the left and right will be merged and then a 'stereo effect' will be applied to the mono signal.

Are both correct? Sorry, I'm pretty unfamiliar with Ampkit. To be clear (since I've been failing!), I'm wanting stereo integrity on my original signal - the effects themselves could be dual mono and that would work for me.

Thanks.

• @syrupcore I understand what you want to do but I don't think it will work. Remember this is a guitar/bass amp setup, guitars and bass plug in mono.. Until now there would be no reason for stereo through. SO what i think he is saying is that the stereo effects take the mono track and add stereo effects to it and not a stereo track with stereo effects.

• edited March 2013

Ryan is correct - we are modeled for guitar, so we take a mono-signal in (for those keeping score, we take the left channel if it's a stereo signal). That signal gets equally distributed in the input, and we process the stereo across the 2 channels live and into the output. So while AmpKit has true stereo effects in output, we don't support stereo input - good thought for the future. :)

• edited March 2013

Stereo input is a likely danger in Audiobus.

• @ryan and @bradley_ny Thanks a lot! Totally understand why ampkit and the others don't support it at this point. Sadly, it's what I'm looking for. One day perhaps!