Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synths for plucked strings

2»

Comments

• Lol Plectrum. Back to haunt again I see

• edited August 2021

@krassmann said:
    For my recent tracks I enjoyed very much using synths for plucked string sounds instead of samples because I have much more control over the sound and really can design exactly the pluck sound I need. Which synths that are good at plucked strings do you know? So far I found

Almost lost me on the first, but the other 3 are good choices. If you like Lagrange by iceWorks, try their Laplace synth. It’s a resonator synth and has a dedicated section for the exciter/plucker attack sound. I generally don;t like their synths, but I do think that that one is unique in its capabilities and probably right up your alley right now.

Just opened it up, and I think I may have hit the objective, precise, universal answer you wanted.

Just went back and played some more and wow this thing is really cool right now. FM section too. Real easy to get Kate Bush cold plucky synth sounds. Off to deep dive

• edited August 2021

@Poppadocrock said:

@RajahP said:

I was gonna say SM One don’t have 2 yet. There is a decent amount of plucked presets in one, I’m sure 2 too.

This sound bank, ‘Sounds of the World’ was a SynthMaster Player Bank.. transferred to SM2.. (iOS)

Great Sounds…

• @Poppadocrock said:

@RajahP said:

I was gonna say SM One don’t have 2 yet. There is a decent amount of plucked presets in one, I’m sure 2 too.

Also interesting, but the demo sounds a bit too much like sampled instruments. I like when it still sounds like synthesis but with all the harmonics of a real string instrument. Of cause it’s possible to use every means of SM2 to mangle the the sample. Something I should consider to explore… 🤔

• @oat_phipps said:

@krassmann said:
    For my recent tracks I enjoyed very much using synths for plucked string sounds instead of samples because I have much more control over the sound and really can design exactly the pluck sound I need. Which synths that are good at plucked strings do you know? So far I found

Almost lost me on the first, but the other 3 are good choices. If you like Lagrange by iceWorks, try their Laplace synth. It’s a resonator synth and has a dedicated section for the exciter/plucker attack sound. I generally don;t like their synths, but I do think that that one is unique in its capabilities and probably right up your alley right now.

Just opened it up, and I think I may have hit the objective, precise, universal answer you wanted.

Just went back and played some more and wow this thing is really cool right now. FM section too. Real easy to get Kate Bush cold plucky synth sounds. Off to deep dive

Could you elaborate on your criticism of Plectrum? I means it’s really hard to create a balanced patch but under the hood must definitely be a decent synthesis for plucked strings.

• @krassmann said:

@oat_phipps said:

@krassmann said:

Could you elaborate on your criticism of Plectrum? I means it’s really hard to create a balanced patch but under the hood must definitely be a decent synthesis for plucked strings.

It was released as free originally and, given the left-field choice of artwork, was somewhat of a meme on this forum for a bit.

I’m tellin ya though, that Laplace though should do you right. I got some fun ideas out of it tonight. For all the synths out there, it’s still pretty damn unique.

• @krassmann said:
    Also interesting, but the demo sounds a bit too much like sampled instruments. I like when it still sounds like synthesis but with all the harmonics of a real string instrument. Of cause it’s possible to use every means of SM2 to mangle the the sample. Something I should consider to explore… 🤔

I just checked for the „India Santoor“ preset of the ‚Sounds of the World‘ in SynthMaster 2 - it is based on multisamples (one for each key) from G3 to A#5 where the filter is influenced by an ENV generator depending on velocity. Lower notes use the G3 sample, higher notes the A#5 sample.

Most presets of that pack use multi-samples.

• @_ki said:

@krassmann said:

I just checked for the „India Santoor“ preset of the ‚Sounds of the World‘ in SynthMaster 2 - it is based on multisamples (one for each key) from G3 to A#5 where the filter is influenced by an ENV generator depending on velocity. Lower notes use the G3 sample, higher notes the A#5 sample.

Most presets of that pack use multi-samples.

Yep, that‘s what I thought. They just sound too natural.

• BeatHawk String Ensembles. Pizzicato and Snap.

• LeaLea
    edited November 2022

I have had good experiences with using FM synthesis for this, for example KQ Dixie and checking many of the clean, slightly distorted and muted e-guitar DX7 patches that are available.

Then, a trick to make the sound a bit thicker is to use a slight chorus on the output of KQ Dixie, I like the ERS_DimD dimension d chorus for this.

Finally, the output of this goes to an amp modeling app, for example Rhino from AuroraDSP. At least for electric guitars, this setup sounds good to my ears.