Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps not responding to MIDI from Digitone

I have a MIDI track on my Digitone set to control DRC hosted in AUM on my iPad. I’ve mapped the various knobs and they all work if I play with them live, but they are not sending if I have them p-locked on a step. Is there a reason this might be happening? I setup mfxMIDI monitor and it seems that the values are being transmitted and received, but DRC isn’t seeing them. It also does not work if I try it with the channel fader in AUM directly.

Comments

• I think it is (defaults to just INT)

Settings > MIDI Config > Port Config > Trig Key DST INT+EXT

• edited July 2021

@dendy said:
    I think it is (defaults to just INT)

Settings > MIDI Config > Port Config > Trig Key DST INT+EXT

This is on a midi track. All it does is send midi out. It’s not the same as the synth tracks being int or ext.

As I said, the signal is being received by the iPad as shown in the midi monitor, it’s AUM and DRC that are not responding properly.

• edited August 2021

This is on a midi track. All it does is send midi out.

I understandt, i'm using DN midi track too, just not with iPad but with other HW synths, i'm sending notes and CC from Digitone's midi track into microfreak, skulp and other synths .. trigs are working as expected .. i thought it is because of that setings but now i triet to switch it back to just "INT" and it still works, CC's asaved as trig are sill send correctly.. i actually can't disable it in any way :-))), no matter what i change in DB settings, CC's are always sent on trigs ...

the signal is being received by the iPad as shown in the midi monitor

this is what i didn't noticed.. wow that's very weird .. there should be not diference beween CC sent in realtime and CC sent from trig during playback.. very strange .. do you see in mfxMIDI any other non-standard midi data AFTER CC received from trig, when compared to CC received from realtime tweak ?

• In addition to dendy's suggestions:

• Be sure that the MIDI channels are set up correctly for the MIDI sequencer tracks, CCs configs, and in the global MIDI config.
    • Since Digitone can send just 8? CCs, you may want to use another MIDI sequencer track just for the CCs. (iirc, the Elektron sequencers send CCs after note ons, so again, you may need to use a separate track for them, and p-lock a second time for the return value.)
    • And iirc, Digitone reserves several MIDI CCs for something, which may be conflicting. What CCs are you sending to DRC?

Here's a direct link to the manual - check the MIDI addendums in the back too.
    https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Digitone-User-Manual_ENG_OS1.31_210602.pdf

• @ocelot said:
    In addition to dendy's suggestions:

• Be sure that the MIDI channels are set up correctly for the MIDI sequencer tracks, CCs configs, and in the global MIDI config.
    • Since Digitone can send just 8? CCs, you may want to use another MIDI sequencer track just for the CCs. (iirc, the Elektron sequencers send CCs after note ons, so again, you may need to use a separate track for them, and p-lock a second time for the return value.)
    • And iirc, Digitone reserves several MIDI CCs for something, which may be conflicting. What CCs are you sending to DRC?

https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Digitone-User-Manual_ENG_OS1.31_210602.pdf

As i said already, the iPad is receiving those messages as shown in the midi monitor. It's that aum and DRC aren't responding.

• @ocelot
    iirc, the Elektron sequencers send CCs after note ons

Wow really ? This may be theoretically reason why DRC doesn't respon on trig CC's .. it may ignore them because they are received ATER note on.. @slicetwo any chance trig CC's are actually applied but just to NEXT note ?

• @slicetwo said:

@ocelot said:

As i said already, the iPad is receiving those messages as shown in the midi monitor. It's that aum and DRC aren't responding.

Thanks @slicetwo, I did read your posts several times.
    Could you please upload screenshots of the MIDI monitor while DRC is driven by Digitone's sequencer?
    Or you can find your answer by doing a search on the Elektronauts forum, or in my response above.
    Thanks again.

• @dendy said:

@ocelot

Wow really ? This may be theoretically reason why DRC doesn't respon on trig CC's .. it may ignore them because they are received ATER note on.. @slicetwo any chance trig CC's are actually applied but just to NEXT note ?

I believe this is the case when both note ons and CCs are on the same external MIDI sequencer track, though the latest Elektron I've used is the Digitakt, so the Digitone may be different.

• @ocelot said:

@slicetwo said:

@ocelot said:

Thanks @slicetwo, I did read your posts several times.
    Could you please upload screenshots of the MIDI monitor while DRC is driven by Digitone's sequencer?
    Or you can find your answer by doing a search on the Elektronauts forum, or in my response above.
    Thanks again.

Strangest damn thing, I just went to set up a fresh pattern and make a video, and it started working. I then went back to some earlier patterns and it's working fine. This is so odd. I'll need to keep testing, and if I come across another issue, I'll make sure to screencap it before shutting down.

@ocelot said:

@dendy said:

@ocelot

I believe this is the case when both note ons and CCs are on the same external MIDI sequencer track, though the latest Elektron I've used is the Digitakt, so the Digitone may be different.

When I went back to do my testing, MIDI CC changes ended up being sent at the same time as the note on. Also, when sending MIDI CC to my DN from the DT, the timing is fine, too.

Thanks for helping out! I'll post with more info if I hit the issue again.

• MIDI CC changes ended up being sent at the same time as the note o

they are never sent exactly at same time cause MIDI is serial protocol - one event after other... so they are ALWAYS before or after note, it's inevitable in MIDI

anyway cool it works now, holding fingers crossed it stays unbroken ;-)

• @dendy said:

MIDI CC changes ended up being sent at the same time as the note o

they are never sent exactly at same time cause MIDI is serial protocol - one event after other... so they are ALWAYS before or after note, it's inevitable in MIDI

anyway cool it works now, holding fingers crossed it stays unbroken ;-)

Right right. But yeah, they worked. Hopefully it stays that way!