Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

That moment you realize your new iPad doesn’t have enough storage 😭

Always been fine with 64 or even 32GB on my iPads for day to day use, and even music making. Bought a 128GB M1 iPad Pro and thought I’d be good for a long while when it comes to storage.

And then I unexpectedly bought a nice camera and starting shooting 4k video. 😱

Sigh, one day of shooting and I already can’t get it all in LumaFusion. Oh well, live and learn I guess…

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

Get an SSD and hook 'er up. Archive anything but the current project you're working on to the SSD. Luma makes this easy to do. I've been managing all my video projects this way for a couple of years now.

The latest Luma Fusion version can even work direct from external drive (provided you're on iOS 14).

• You get no sympathy from me 😂 I’ve been struggling with 32 GBS ——_ 32 GBS!!!!

• I initially bought a 32GB thinking that I would just be using it for web surfing and the odd bit of productivity work. That was until I found this place! A few months later I needed to buy another iPad as I was constantly unloading apps. The 32GB is so well priced for what you get, presumably to suck you in, but now I always advise to go for as big as you can afford.

The new SSD update for LumaFusion is hopefully a sign of things to come and could help repurpose some older iPads which had the grunt to handle the video processing side but were never specced adequately from a storage PoV. I may do exactly this with my old 32GB, thinking about it.

• I struggled for a couple years with my 64GB iPad Pro 11” (2018), ( yet was able to put out all kinds of music)

I’ve got the 1TB M1 12.9” now, and though it seems I’ve got tons of free space now, I know it doesn’t take long…

• If you haven’t emptied the trash for a while in AudioShare it’s surprising how much memory this can free up.

• I think a music producer with at least a little GAS should never buy below 256GB.

• iOSTRAKON: SAME here haha 32 is so bad man, and then if you cloud them you kinda dont use them as much. I never thought of the SD card idea.So if my sd card reader/writer is usb to camera kit I can drag and drop "apps"? Or just data? Thanks for the idea. Pour a 40 oz for me and Us low giga homies

• I’m getting the 1TB M1 iPad Pro today… having owned my old iPad Pro for almost 10 years, I think 1TB should be the ground level choice for anyone who creates a lot of stuff with their iPad. I had just gotten used to deleting files and apps with my old one…

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    You get no sympathy from me 😂 I’ve been struggling with 32 GBS ——_ 32 GBS!!!!

Me too. My music iPad has almost nothing else on there, and I’m always thinking about how to keep the number of apps low so as to not clog it up.

• Tell us how it is NeuM!> I
    bet paradise is waiting although I still am happy my 5 th gen pad is rocking nicely with its measly 32 GB where
    I leave 3 GB free just in case.

• @oceansinspace said:
    Tell us how it is NeuM!> I
    bet paradise is waiting although I still am happy my 5 th gen pad is rocking nicely with its measly 32 GB where
    I leave 3 GB free just in case.

It’s tough out there!

• I luckily could go for the maximum size, so far.
    But that is just 256 GB on the Air 3 and 512 GB on the iPad 12.9 2nd gen.

If I had to buy a newer iPad, I would probably max out at 1TB, but not go with 2 TB.

• Yeah, I'm most likely going to have to go 1TB now that I'm doing all this video work. I was fine with 32GB for music making for many years, but those video files are brutal on your storage.

• Just noticed that Amazon is now reducing price on 8th generation 128GB iPads, so might have to pick one up, and retire my other iPad to reading/streaming/graphics.

• edited August 2021

@tja said:
    I luckily could go for the maximum size, so far.
    But that is just 256 GB on the Air 3 and 512 GB on the iPad 12.9 2nd gen.

If I had to buy a newer iPad, I would probably max out at 1TB, but not go with 2 TB.

Yes, the price jump from 1TB to 2TB cannot be rationally supported, considering a good quality 2TB external SSD hard drive can be acquired for half that extra cost to store files.

Oof… a bit of an update… Looks like I cannot get a business account discounted price on the iPad Pro yet. Guess I’m not getting it today after all. :|

• edited August 2021

@Tarekith said:
    Yeah, I'm most likely going to have to go 1TB now that I'm doing all this video work. I was fine with 32GB for music making for many years, but those video files are brutal on your storage.

If you’re past the refund period, if you call Apple customer support and get through to a real salesperson, they’re actually really good about refunds. They allowed me to return my 2020 Pro over a month after I bought it because they announced the new Pros during that period. Ended up keeping the 1 TB 2020 Pro though, once I saw the ~$600 price difference for a 1 TB 2021 version and did a double take. That screen can’t be that fucking amazing.

• @NeuM said:
    I’m getting the 1TB M1 iPad Pro today… having owned my old iPad Pro for almost 10 years, I think 1TB should be the ground level choice for anyone who creates a lot of stuff with their iPad. I had just gotten used to deleting files and apps with my old one…

I love mine! (Had the M1 1TB 12.9” for about a week now and it’s amazing!)

Wait, 10 years? The original iPad Pro came out in 2015. You must be talking about a regular iPad.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@NeuM said:
    I’m getting the 1TB M1 iPad Pro today… having owned my old iPad Pro for almost 10 years, I think 1TB should be the ground level choice for anyone who creates a lot of stuff with their iPad. I had just gotten used to deleting files and apps with my old one…

Wait, 10 years? The original iPad Pro came out in 2015. You must be talking about a regular iPad.

Round to the nearest ten.

• @AudioGus said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@NeuM said:

lol he did say almost 10 😂

• @oat_phipps said:
    If you’re past the refund period, if you call Apple customer support and get through to a real salesperson, they’re actually really good about refunds. They allowed me to return my 2020 Pro over a month after I bought it because they announced the new Pros during that period. Ended up keeping the 1 TB 2020 Pro though, once I saw the ~$600 price difference for a 1 TB 2021 version and did a double take. That screen can’t be that fucking amazing.

Sadly it’s like 2.5 months old, so probably not going to happen. I was able to juggle files enough to get my current project done (getting released tomorrow!), but I think I’m going to have to just pony up and get the larger one before I start the next project.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@AudioGus said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@NeuM said:

lol he did say almost 10 😂

Ha! You’re right. I had the second generation of the original iPad, then transitioned everything to the iPad Pro when it came out… It only SEEMS like ten years. ;)

• Shoot, I still have The original. Thing is like an inch thick lol

Pic next to my new 12.9 M1

Doesn’t even have a rear camera!

• What’s also funny is that the original iPad there was the 64GB model. (That’s how much my iPad Pro 11” has!)

• edited August 2021

I got the first retina iPad (v3?) and I can’t even update/use Youtube anymore.

• edited August 2021

This seems like as good a thread as any to say I really hate it when the Apple iOS color cycle for that year’s products lands on black. I want a classic white iPad, always. The black just looks extra smudgy all the time. And yes, I’ll be honest I miss my Rose Gold backplate too. At least the standard Apple cases came in a couple of good, poppin’ colors this time. Gotta go with dat salmon

• Space Grey FTW

• @oceansinspace said:
    iOSTRAKON: SAME here haha 32 is so bad man, and then if you cloud them you kinda dont use them as much. I never thought of the SD card idea.So if my sd card reader/writer is usb to camera kit I can drag and drop "apps"? Or just data? Thanks for the idea. Pour a 40 oz for me and Us low giga homies

Only data, and that mostly only for archival storage such as moving old or infrequently used files off the device. Only a few apps can actually store their "live" data on external storage. Apps can't be moved to external storage at all.

• edited August 2021

Right after the announcement I ordered the 1TB iPad Pro. Soon after I had this thing in my hands I realized it’s totally over the top for me. It will probably never make use of the 16 GB of RAM. There are many reports that musicians do not notice any difference between the 8 or 16 GB MacBook Air. As I am not doing any video editing or shooting with it I came to the conclusion that 256 GB and 8 GB RAM is enough for me. So I triggered the return and after talking to a sales person they accepted although I had to 1TB model already for more than three weeks. Here in Germany the downgrade saved me almost €700. I plan to put some little money on top and buy additionally a MacBook Air and I think the combo is much more helpful for my music production then the big iPad model. The smaller iPad really works well for me. I have all my apps and also my whole sample library on it and I still have almost half of the storage available.

• I really remember struggling with storage issues with early phones and iPod touch models coming in at 8GB. Now my freaking Apple Watch SE has 32 GB of mostly unused space 🤪

• The user and all related content has been deleted.