Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Re-associate my ripped music files with iTunes library?

I got a “new” iPod Classic, because I really don’t like the Music app on my phone. But now I have to fill it up.

The problem—my music library is on my Mac, but all the files are in the cloud, specifically in the iCloud Music library. I can download, but it’s around 50GB.

However, I have a complete but outdated version of the library on an old Mac, with all my ripped music stored on its HDD.

Question: Can I somehow add those files back into my current library, and have the Music app recognize them? I know I could just drag them in to add as new, but I’d like to keep my playcounts and other data intact—the library is over 15 years old.

Can I do it?

Comments

• You could try launching the Music.app and holding down the Alt/Option key and then picking your 'old' Music Library.
    The files will stay in place and a new index file will be created retaining your old play count etc.
    (This is done since the library format has changed)

This alt/option trick also works with Photos.app and iMovie.app making it easier to manage multiple 'Libraries'.

I think it's at least worth a shot :sunglasses:

• That’s a good idea. I guess I might lose my last 6-12 months of playcounts etc, but that’s no big deal.

In fact, I could fire up the old library on the old Mac, let it sync so it’s all up to date, then copy it across as you suggest.

Nice one!

• That didn't work. My current library is so confused, so a mixup of junk, that it was proving impossible to consolidate. Plus, the old library was also split between iTunes Match stuff, Apple music, and some more.

I decided to give up and create a new, blank music library. Then I just dragged all those old files onto the Music app.

Seems to be cool so far. Plus, Apple music is still intact.