Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

how is iOS 14.7 working out for you?

I have an iPad Air 3 currently on iOS 14.4. To get the Luma Fusion upgrade I'll need to update but I've read bad things about audio crackling with 14.6. Is 14.7 any better?

Comments

• Some members here reported the crackles gone, so I updated, but I still get it, maybe a tiny bit less frequently - but that may be wishful thinking (Air 4). 🤷

• @ervin said:
    Some members here reported the crackles gone, so I updated, but I still get it, maybe a tiny bit less frequently - but that may be wishful thinking (Air 4). 🤷

I haven’t gotten the crackles lately, seems pretty random. Sort of miss them. I’m ready for a “Auv3 iOS crackle simulator”.
    Also my zoom h4 became mono-only after a recent update. Go figure.

• The crackling only happens on certain devices, both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 8 are running 14.7.1 without any issues.

• I’ve read all sorts of other horror stories about 14.7 to do with battery drain, wifi disconnects etc.
    Anyone experienced this yet?

• I've been waiting years for stabilization in Luma Fusion and they finally include it, but with the requirement that I install a broken OS.
    The ability to load AUV3s is interesting but isn't something I'll ever use. I think that feature might be a mistake that will continue to haunt the devs with regards to instability and bugs.

I will prioritize creating music over making videos until Apple does something about the crackles. So I'll skip the Luma Fusion update for now, hoping Apple comes through in iOS 15.
    My videos are even worse than my music so maybe it's not a bad turn of events haha.

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@abf said:
    The ability to load AUV3s is interesting but isn't something I'll ever use. I think that feature might be a mistake that will continue to haunt the devs with regards to instability and bugs.

+1.
    I really believe this was a bad idea. It'll be a time-suck from other improvements and also introduce instabilities that will be harder to isolate. Oh well.

• @wim said:

@abf said:

+1.
    I really believe this was a bad idea. It'll be a time-suck from other improvements and also introduce instabilities that will be harder to isolate. Oh well.

Yah probably would have been best to just solicit the community and implement their own top X audio features.

• @abf said:
    I have an iPad Air 3 currently on iOS 14.4. To get the Luma Fusion upgrade I'll need to update but I've read bad things about audio crackling with 14.6. Is 14.7 any better?

I too have an Air 3 and updates 2 days ago to 14.7.1
    So far, I noticed no problems at all!

If you wish me to test anything, I may be able to... until about a year ago, I bought most audio Apps, but sure not all. But I still have the majors, I believe.

Just tell me, at best with something concrete.

• @tja said:

@abf said:

I too have an Air 3 and updates 2 days ago to 14.7.1
    So far, I noticed no problems at all!

If you wish me to test anything, I may be able to... until about a year ago, I bought most audio Apps, but sure not all. But I still have the majors, I believe.

Just tell me, at best with something concrete.

Wow, thank you!
    I have a new Zoom U-22 that I'm connecting to AUM and sometimes Bremmer's Multitrack Studio. I record at 24bits 48kHz.

The instruments I use are Geoshred, Moog Model D, Zeeon, Streetlytron Pro, VB3m organ, Pure Piano, and Sugarbytes Drum Computer.

For guitar I'm using DB Audioware 20th Anniversary amp. For effects I mostly use various Bleass, FAC, Toneboosters, along with Sugarbytes Turnado, and Fabfilter Saturn.

Any apps you could try out would be massively helpful but please don't stress, it's a lot for me to ask.

@AudioGus said:
    Yah probably would have been best to just solicit the community and implement their own top X audio features.

I agree with this.

• Having AUfx available is a hugely good thing. It is a critical feature for a near pro-level video editor which is is what they are aiming for. It's lack was a real drag. It may take a while to get the bugs out, but it shouldn't be a never-ending time sink.

• tjatja
    edited July 2021

I just started up DrumComputer, Geoshred, Zeeon and Model D as standalone, played around with them, @abf

Then I loaded those 4 into AudioBus as AU and played them per Xequence Keys.
    I saw no problem.

I added Saturn 2 and this worked too, after sending MIDI by Fugue Machine.
    Did not find any App called Bleass or FAC and was too lazy to seek the names.

EDIT: I remembered to have Turnado and tested this as well, also no apparent problem.

Of course, this is not a full project....

• edited July 2021

I have updated on an Air3 to get the Lumafusion update. I did not do extensive testing, only played played with a few apps and no crackling so far.

• @tja
    Thank you, that's a great report. I appreciate the work you did on my behalf, much gratitude.

@zvon Also a good sign! Thanks.

• iOS 14.7 here as well.

Updated yesterday.

Smooth, no problems so far.

• Been running 14.7 since it was released. Not had any audio glitches on my Air4 over the usb-c headphone adapter so far. This problem seemed to get triggered when you switched between apps but all seems fine now.

Also, maybe related, but all the crackling in Synthmaster 2 appears to have disappeared too, making this awesome app usable, yay.

• Iphone 8 no problem

• Good news!

• edited July 2021

14.7.1 on:
    iPhone 6S Plus (A9): Only 1 crackle since updating to 14.7. Previously it was crackling every ~30 minutes.

iPad 6 (A10) and 2x iPad Pro 10.5 (A10X): No crackles, though they never crackled when running older OS's.

No missing AUs on any iDevice, though never had missing AUs on any iDevice when running older OS's.

• ipad pro 11 no problem at all … all fac all bleass shoom zeeon decent sampler blackhole fabfilter etc

• I updated my Air 3 to 14.7.1 and everything is working fine. I got the Luma Fusion update so I'm excited about that.
    Thank you everyone for the advice.

• I held off the update "just in case" but it sounds like I can go ahead with no worries.

• BobBob
    edited August 2021

Updated Ipad pro 2020, but sometimes having issues when hitting play in for ex cubasis and also audioshare:
    It does not respond.
    Locking and unlocking the Ipad, or restarting the app sometimes helps. Never had this issue before the update.

• edited August 2021

@Bob said:
    Updated Ipad pro 2020, but sometimes having issues when hitting play in for ex cubasis and also audioshare:
    It does not respond.
    Locking and unlocking the Ipad, or restarting the app sometimes helps. Never had this issue before the update.

Had this one time but not with this iOS version. Have you tried rebooting iPad? It fixed my issue.

• @Bob said:
    It does not respond.

This problem has been around since 14.5. My 8th gen iPad does it but my older 2017 pro doesn’t. Disabling microphone access for these apps in the iPad system settings is a workaround. Not an ideal fix but it seems to work for now.

• Lots of crackling with not that many (IMO) apps running. Seems to be worse in Audiobus which is my preferred host. Adjusting anything while running a sequence seems to be quite likely to set it off.

• @FordTimeLord said:

@Bob said:
    It does not respond.

This problem has been around since 14.5. My 8th gen iPad does it but my older 2017 pro doesn’t. Disabling microphone access for these apps in the iPad system settings is a workaround. Not an ideal fix but it seems to work for now.

Thanks for the advice, will try this.
    @Janosax , reboot did help but the issue comes back once in a while.

• I have a 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) running 13.7

Should I update the iOS?