Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Field recorder for use with Eurorack and iOS, Radiophonic/Natlab style

Since I’m charmed by the works of Natlab, Radiophonic Workshop and Hainbach I’m considering to buy a fieldrecorder for use with my Eurorack (Make Noise Morphagene) and iOS apps. Recording “natural” sounds outside, homemade percussion etc. etc. My eye fell on the Tascam DR-40X which for the price seems to do what I want. Would this be a good choice or are there other/better options within this price category and if so then why?

Comments

• I’ve been using a Tascam DR-07 for years and have been very happy with it. The only downside is the lack of phantom power which the DR-40X has. I’d say it will do nicely.
    Many field recordists also like the various Zoom devices. The H5 seems similar, both feature- and price-wise. If you spend a bit more you could get a H6 which has microphones that can be switched out.

• Senheiser makes a binaural headset recorder. They look like normal earbuds, but they actual function as microphones. They are a discreet way to explore a location and record a binaural perspective of your surroundings. The coolest thing about them to me is that you don't need to point a handheld recorder at anything, which can be a bit awkward or attract looks depending on the situation or place.
    Full disclaimer, I don't own them, but I've had my eye on them for a few years. I'd like to pick up a pair soon. I believe you can just record directly to your phone with them.
    https://en-us.sennheiser.com/in-ear-headphones-3d-audio-ambeo-smart-headset

• @aleyas said:
    Senheiser makes a binaural headset recorder. They look like normal earbuds, but they actual function as microphones. They are a discreet way to explore a location and record a binaural perspective of your surroundings. The coolest thing about them to me is that you don't need to point a handheld recorder at anything, which can be a bit awkward or attract looks depending on the situation or place.
    Full disclaimer, I don't own them, but I've had my eye on them for a few years. I'd like to pick up a pair soon. I believe you can just record directly to your phone with them.

They look cool and since I just found a used pair on eBay for £21 I bought them, I’m not really a gadgetahollic…..

• Well that’s the thing…I’m not in search for some gadget that allows me to record some sounds. Just searching for a pretty decent microphone that allows me to record a multitude of sounds, not only outside, also stuff I can find at home. Last week I was walking to the supermarket with my keys and a zippo in my pocket and boy the rhythm was so cool….I had my phone on me so I recorded it, could serve as inspiration. But for (higher) quality sounds the microphone of the iPhone X isn’t the best.

• @Bietfriek said:
    Well that’s the thing…I’m not in search for some gadget that allows me to record some sounds. Just searching for a pretty decent microphone that allows me to record a multitude of sounds, not only outside, also stuff I can find at home. Last week I was walking to the supermarket with my keys and a zippo in my pocket and boy the rhythm was so cool….I had my phone on me so I recorded it, could serve as inspiration. But for (higher) quality sounds the microphone of the iPhone X isn’t the best.

One thing to keep in mind is that phone microphones use a lot of sound cancelling wizardry which the handhelds don’t. It is therefore imperative to use a good quality windscreen. They also all suffer from handling noises to some extent. Tascam offers a grip that screws to the underside that helps a lot. I still resort to using an external mic wherever possible but that kinda defeats the purpose of spontaneity.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@aleyas said:
    Senheiser makes a binaural headset recorder. They look like normal earbuds, but they actual function as microphones. They are a discreet way to explore a location and record a binaural perspective of your surroundings. The coolest thing about them to me is that you don't need to point a handheld recorder at anything, which can be a bit awkward or attract looks depending on the situation or place.

They look cool and since I just found a used pair on eBay for £21 I bought them, I’m not really a gadgetahollic…..

Nice!! Let us know how you get on with them. Online reviews are one thing, but a report from another IOS musician would be golden.

• @aleyas said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@aleyas said:

Nice!! Let us know how you get on with them. Online reviews are one thing, but a report from another IOS musician would be golden.

I have them since about a year and they're great!
    I'm mostly using them with TwistedWave, they're plug and play and having earplugs and microphones in one is a good thing.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@aleyas said:

Just grabbed a pair from the same seller - think I'm going to have a lot of fun...👍

• edited July 2021

@enkaytee said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@aleyas said:

Just grabbed a pair from the same seller - think I'm going to have a lot of fun...👍

Heehee me too I hope

Well the box is a bit scruffy - but otherwise it’s immaculate

• @BiancaNeve said:

@enkaytee said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@aleyas said:

Heehee me too I hope

Been researching these and they originally retailed at around $300 so 20 quid is a bargain. Possibly not the greatest headphones but the recording quality is pretty good from the demos I've seen/heard.

• @enkaytee said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@enkaytee said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@aleyas said:

Heehee me too I hope

Been researching these and they originally retailed at around $300 so 20 quid is a bargain. Possibly not the greatest headphones but the recording quality is pretty good from the demos I've seen/heard.

Wow if I’d paid 300 bucks I would be pretty disappointed I think, they aren’t gold plated or anything!

• Just got mine (in black..!). So far I'm really impressed with the recording quality using the Apogee MetaRecorder which gets a full licence when you plug them in - for once the YouTube reviews were pretty accurate. What's also nice is that they're pretty discrete for field recording in public - just a slightly weird pair of headphones. I'll give them a go with Twisted Wave as well, but I'd recommend these at the current ebay / Amazon prices...grab them before they sell out...!

• Thanks for the advice and input but guess will use the info later. Just bought a MacBook Air so will temporarily search the Freesound project for my needs!

• @enkaytee said:
    Just got mine (in black..!). So far I'm really impressed with the recording quality using the Apogee MetaRecorder which gets a full licence when you plug them in - for once the YouTube reviews were pretty accurate. What's also nice is that they're pretty discrete for field recording in public - just a slightly weird pair of headphones. I'll give them a go with Twisted Wave as well, but I'd recommend these at the current ebay / Amazon prices...grab them before they sell out...!

where did you guys find them? Cheapest eBay price I'm seeing is $80

• edited August 2021

@aleyas said:

@enkaytee said:
    Just got mine (in black..!). So far I'm really impressed with the recording quality using the Apogee MetaRecorder which gets a full licence when you plug them in - for once the YouTube reviews were pretty accurate. What's also nice is that they're pretty discrete for field recording in public - just a slightly weird pair of headphones. I'll give them a go with Twisted Wave as well, but I'd recommend these at the current ebay / Amazon prices...grab them before they sell out...!

where did you guys find them? Cheapest eBay price I'm seeing is $80

There's a UK based supplier who has used and new models on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/evergameuk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559) and Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=1&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&protocol=current&seller=A3Q46JKA62R1LC&sshmPath=)

Don't know if they ship to the US but could be worth asking I guess...

• For that price you can get a zoomH1n with free recorder included ;-)

It also works as an audio interface (including for iOS with a CCK).