Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The perfect midi clip launcher?

-One I can use a chord app with(like Tonality) with functional step recording
-one I can launch from Xequence 2, at odd times if I want
Im struggling with Atom 2 at the moment, I feal like Im using a sequencer to launch a sequencer. I want to launch clips from Xequence 2 but I cant get Atom to Launch reliably, its either looping or cant play odd beats without adding one for every clip or something, it adds up.

I prefer to make some looped melodies and place them on top of each other at times. I am so hungry for this workflow, if you have any tips please help (:
Cheers, and good night now

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@_smund said:
    Im struggling with Atom 2 at the moment, I feal like Im using a sequencer to launch a sequencer. I want to launch clips from Xequence 2 but I cant get Atom to Launch reliably, its either looping or cant play odd beats without adding one for every clip or something, it adds up.

I prefer to make some looped melodies and place them on top of each other at times. I am so hungry for this workflow, if you have any tips please help (:
    Cheers, and good night now

Why not just use Xequence 2 and be done with it? Set up your clips, each on its own track, as looping clips, then mute / solo tracks to your heart's content.

[edit - nvm. After re-reading, I see your reasons for wanting to use Atom 2. I dunno why you'd want to launch the clips from Xequence 2 rather than Atom though.

Im struggling with Atom 2 at the moment, I feal like Im using a sequencer to launch a sequencer.

... and Xequence 2 isn't a sequencer? I'm confused.

• Give Zenbeats a try. Although the editor is a bit weird

• edited July 2021

I was on that train of thought today. I guess I could just loop record the clips in Xequence and drag them.
    Btw @Wim , can I map Mute/Solo to a controller?
    And a different question, can I automate knob twisting parameters from Xequence? Then I would be all set.
    Thanks for all the fish

• edited July 2021

@_smund I have not tested it in anger yet but coincidentally I have been working on something like this with X2 this evening https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46210/controlling-atom-2-using-au-parameters#latest

It was fun enough making it and it seems to work but I’m not sure how useful it is.

Maybe you are looking for something like Modstep or Gadget?

• @_smund said:
    I was on that train of thought today. I guess I could just loop record the clips in Xequence and drag them.

In Xequence or AUM? I could be wrong but I don't think you can do that in Xequence 2. You can mute/solo audio or disable/enable plugins in AUM. There are also Mozaic plugins that you can place between X2 and your channels to mute midi to AUM channels.

And a different question, can I automate knob twisting parameters from Xequence? Then I would be all set.

You can automate sending of any CC from Xequence 2, so yes, anything that can be automated with a CC can be automated from Xequence 2. You'll have to do some mapping though.

Thanks for all the fish

You mentioned needing step recording. X2 doesn't have that. It also doesn't manage tempo changes smoothly if that's important to you. You might be better off overcoming the learning curve for Atom 2 rather than trying to bolt all this together. X2 is a fabulous MIDI sequencer, but seems like maybe not the best tool for what you're trying to do, if I understand it correctly.

• At this moment…Lk is doing the job for me. The clip properties and it’s grid properties , the way are implemented are working great with both drums and melodically synth lines…it’s just a personal taste. I found Atom2 good for melodically lines , but if you insert drums …without a controller …it’s a bit tedious ( again personal taste). I’m willing to give helium a try…see how it moves .
    I would try them out….all of them. It’s such an important element ! It’s just like trying hardware that suits your workflow and purpose.

• GarageBand does this pretty well. It always seems to be discounted, perhaps because it’s free, but is surprisingly powerful.

you can also record from the live loops into the linear arrange view which makes Saving your performance as easy as it can be. Which is also editable. It works with audio loops too (not quite so well) but for instrument tracks it works a treat.

It might not work directly with a chord app but it has lots of smart instruments that makes getting chords into it easy so you can choose a scale and the smart instrument makes playing chords or single notes (and guitar style strums) simple.

Maybe not the perfect app and can be frustrating at times but there aren’t many better Ableton style loopers for auv3s on iOS.

And compared to setting up something similar with Atom and AUM it’s a doddle to use.

Especially when it comes to actually launching the clips and performing. The live looops performance fx are fun too. A bit Stupid but fun. And editable. Ish. :-)

The main drawback with GB for me is in its exporting. It’s doable but frustratingly long winded. Unless you have Logic on Mac.

• One is LK, another is Genome MIDI.

@_smund said:

As far as I remember, only Genome can do this: Play a chord on your keyboard and tap or drag on the timeline to place it

Yep, map clips to be launched by MIDI notes or CC or Program Changes in Genome

No issues with Genome here.

I like that concept too so Genome MIDI, LK and Korg Gadget are some of my most used apps.
    To record chords, I'm also using ChordPolyPad hovering over Genome in slide-over mode.
    It's more convenient to use ChordPolyPad on my iPhone connected via Bluetooth MIDI though, so I still have the full screen available for Genome.

• Oh, and Genome can export and share MIDI on every level: Pattern, track and multi-track song.

• @rs2000 said:
    Oh, and Genome can export and share MIDI on every level: Pattern, track and multi-track song.

No sarcasm intended, but it hasn’t been updated in 4 years. Is that because it’s perfect?

• @ahallam said:

@rs2000 said:
    Oh, and Genome can export and share MIDI on every level: Pattern, track and multi-track song.

No sarcasm intended, but it hasn’t been updated in 4 years. Is that because it’s perfect?

Tbh I couldn't care less as long as it does its job 😉

• Thank you for enlightening me to options.
    First I will check if Heliums step record will let me place a chord, or the start of one, anywhere I’d like on the timeline without having ‘RECORD’ running. I find that to be sweet, using Tonality or similar to plonk down chords.

• @_smund said:
    Thank you for enlightening me to options.
    First I will check if Heliums step record will let me place a chord, or the start of one, anywhere I’d like on the timeline without having ‘RECORD’ running. I find that to be sweet, using Tonality or similar to plonk down chords.

It will let you do that and also comes with a load of chords you can just drag onto the timeline if that’s what you want to do.

• @rs2000 said:

@ahallam said:

@rs2000 said:

The fun fact is... from what I recall this 5-6 year old update was the one with sound sources inside (you could use it as groovebox) and it's fixes/tweaks. The main midi funcionality is aces since it's release in 2011 (and 1.1.3 update in 2013) 😂

• @senhorlampada said:

@rs2000 said:

@ahallam said:

@rs2000 said:

The fun fact is... from what I recall this 5-6 year old update was the one with sound sources inside (you could use it as groovebox) and it's fixes/tweaks. The main midi funcionality is aces since it's release in 2011 (and 1.1.3 update in 2013) 😂

Indeed. A classic.

• @wim said:

@_smund said:

In Xequence or AUM? I could be wrong but I don't think you can do that in Xequence 2. You can mute/solo audio or disable/enable plugins in AUM. There are also Mozaic plugins that you can place between X2 and your channels to mute midi to AUM channels.

I’ve found sequencing AUM difficult. There seems to be a delay (maybe just a single audio frame) between when a cc is received by AUM and when it is acted upon. If you send a note to a synth and an event to AUM configured to toggle mute at the same time you’ll get a blip of sound. Yes, even if you use the exact same note event routed to both the synth and AUM’s midi control. For something like mutes you need to ensure the event gets to AUM before you need it to take effect but not so soon that it might chop off the tail.

Enabling/disabling (bypass in AUM-speak) seems to take even more time to execute than mute.

• @xor said:

@wim said:

@_smund said:

I’ve found sequencing AUM difficult. There seems to be a delay (maybe just a single audio frame) between when a cc is received by AUM and when it is acted upon. If you send a note to a synth and an event to AUM configured to toggle mute at the same time you’ll get a blip of sound. Yes, even if you use the exact same note event routed to both the synth and AUM’s midi control. For something like mutes you need to ensure the event gets to AUM before you need it to take effect but not so soon that it might chop off the tail.

Enabling/disabling (bypass in AUM-speak) seems to take even more time to execute than mute.

Then it sounds like a mozaic script to selectively mute midi channels is the way to go. You would send X2 midi to Mozaic then the Mozaic output to the various AUM channels. There are a couple of scripts like that on patch storage.

• @wim said:

@xor said:

@wim said:

@_smund said:

Then it sounds like a mozaic script to selectively mute midi channels is the way to go. You would send X2 midi to Mozaic then the Mozaic output to the various AUM channels. There are a couple of scripts like that on patch storage.

I was just commenting on “You can mute/solo audio or disable/enable plugins in AUM” and didn’t want anyone thinking that it could be easily automated. Yeah, filtering midi is easier and safer.

• I'm going crazy over LK's interface freeing inside AUM all the time ... I'll try Genome. : )

• @henningz said:
    I'm going crazy over LK's interface freeing inside AUM all the time ... I'll try Genome. : )

If you mean "freezing" then please report to @sinosoidal by sending him your AUM project.