Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 and AUMv3

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Just thinking about purchasing AUMv3 but I’m not sure how it should influence, be used or included in my workflow.

I’m a traditional DAW user when using iPad for music (Cubasis/Auria). Even when using AB with Cubasis I can understand how they compliment each other.

But why would I need AUM? All the demos I’ve seen are other applications (usually playing short loops) playing together and sometimes this output is sent to Cubasis. Are there any other creative avenues I should be thinking about?

Thank you in advance friends!

Mark.

Comments

• AUM is like an open world to lay out your instruments and effects, like a table top.
    Fast access to everything and quick and complex routing can all be done in one screen.
    Its like having all your stuff laid out in front of you and super smooth fast workflow.
    I use it all day.
    It isn’ta daw as it does not have a traditional timeline and piano roll of its own but with apps like atom2 and various MIDI apps you have an open world of multi time lines .
    Def takes a minute to adjust but once it has its claws in you, its hard to leave

• @reasOne thanks for the info!

• In my opinion, AUM is almost like a mixing board for the variety of app-based and real world synths and other instruments you need to connect to create a live mix. I still see less use for it as a production tool and more of a performance tool. If a person wants a serious performance and production combination, I would think Logic Pro and Mainstage would make more sense using a MacBook Pro.

• Besides all it’s fantastic functionality (which I don’t really use as I am also primarily a Cubasis user), AUM is just fun. Great way of v quickly mixing and matching instruments and fx for live use or just jamming on one’s own.

• @NeuM said:
    In my opinion, AUM is almost like a mixing board for the variety of app-based and real world synths and other instruments you need to connect to create a live mix. I still see less use for it as a production tool and more of a performance tool. If a person wants a serious performance and production combination, I would think Logic Pro and Mainstage would make more sense using a MacBook Pro.

When we compare something, let's better stay at the iPad for comparison and not jump to Mac or PC ;-)

With AUM you can build your own DAW, which can very well be used for production too!
    Esp. when combined with AudioBus, even as this also is great for performing (AudioBus Remote).

• @tja thanks! Looks like I’ll give it a go and see what it can do. Mark.

• @tja said:

@NeuM said:
    In my opinion, AUM is almost like a mixing board for the variety of app-based and real world synths and other instruments you need to connect to create a live mix. I still see less use for it as a production tool and more of a performance tool. If a person wants a serious performance and production combination, I would think Logic Pro and Mainstage would make more sense using a MacBook Pro.

When we compare something, let's better stay at the iPad for comparison and not jump to Mac or PC ;-)

With AUM you can build your own DAW, which can very well be used for production too!
    Esp. when combined with AudioBus, even as this also is great for performing (AudioBus Remote).

AUM alone cannot act as a DAW. It lacks fader and panning automation, for one thing. If you add functionality to it by using 4Pockets’ automation app for AUM, then it acts more like a DAW. Also, unless I missed something in the app, it lacks a timeline and the ability to edit audio and MIDI.

• @NeuM said:

@tja said:

@NeuM said:

AUM alone cannot act as a DAW. It lacks fader and panning automation, for one thing. If you add functionality to it by using 4Pockets’ automation app for AUM, then it acts more like a DAW. Also, unless I missed something in the app, it lacks a timeline and the ability to edit audio and MIDI.

As I said, you can build your with DAW with it, but of course by using other Apps!
    I often record into Cubasis or MultiTrackDAW for the audio and use Xequence for the MIDI.

• @tja said:

@NeuM said:

@tja said:

@NeuM said:

As I said, you can build your with DAW with it, but of course by using other Apps!
    I often record into Cubasis or MultiTrackDAW for the audio and use Xequence for the MIDI.

There are now AUv3, like LK, Atom 2, Helix, MultiTrack Recorder that provide MIDI and Audio event timelines/editing accessible within an AUM session.