Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a chord proposing tool

2»

Comments

• @NeuM said:

@McD said:
    Now Steely Dan's music
    requires a lot more musical knowledge to follow and imitate. Copy your heroes as a start.

The brilliance of Steely Dan is in their ability to make the really complex stuff sound effortless.

Interesting that both of you saying this. The Dan is the epitome of coolness for me! Their use of chord tensions is so unique, making a simple progression sound out of this world. Sometimes they substitute a common, typical chord with the one not found in the key at all but just sharing a common note with that chord. Thinking of it, this will probably be a bit difficult to program it in properly - you don't want too much of it or it'd be unintelligible, but also need a few of it at the right place to be cool.

• @Artj said:

@NeuM said:

@McD said:
    Now Steely Dan's music
    requires a lot more musical knowledge to follow and imitate. Copy your heroes as a start.

The brilliance of Steely Dan is in their ability to make the really complex stuff sound effortless.

Interesting that both of you saying this. The Dan is the epitome of coolness for me! Their use of chord tensions is so unique, making a simple progression sound out of this world. Sometimes they substitute a common, typical chord with the one not found in the key at all but just sharing a common note with that chord. Thinking of it, this will probably be a bit difficult to program it in properly - you don't want too much of it or it'd be unintelligible, but also need a few of it at the right place to be cool.

But that doesn’t place a chord outside of the key - it’s quite common to find that one chord only shares a single note with another diatonic chord, particularly if you only use triads.

Realistically I would think that should be a feature of any app that suggests chords.

• @michael_m said:
    But that doesn’t place a chord outside of the key - it’s quite common to find that one chord only shares a single note with another diatonic chord, particularly if you only use triads.
    Realistically I would think that should be a feature of any app that suggests chords.

True, would be very nice. 👍

• Thx for all the replies, will look into them!

• @rud said:
    Touchscaper does many, many things as well as have a chord suggester. It shows your current chord in the middle of the screen and suggests chords that have 3, 2 or 1 note in common. Or you can hit the ‘key’ button to select chords that aren’t as closely related.
    Create a chord progression and either play them from the main screen or use the sequencer with random probability. I could go on... it also has random velocity for human feel.

This thing looks absolutely amazing

• @Bele said:

@rud said:
    Touchscaper does many, many things as well as have a chord suggester. It shows your current chord in the middle of the screen and suggests chords that have 3, 2 or 1 note in common. Or you can hit the ‘key’ button to select chords that aren’t as closely related.
    Create a chord progression and either play them from the main screen or use the sequencer with random probability. I could go on... it also has random velocity for human feel.

This thing looks absolutely amazing

It really is amazing. The smart arpeggiator (in the sequencer) is marvellous. When a major chord is playing it follows the notes of a major and gives a major third. Minor chords arpeggiate with a minor third and so on. Here’s a link to a thread I started based upon your chord suggester request

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46217/touchscaper-for-those-who-want-to-play-piano-but-can-t#latest