Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music production tutorials that talk about high level concepts?

edited July 2021 in Other

I know how to use my apps and how to structure a piece of music, I’m looking for channels that do tutorials beyond “how to turn your loops into songs”. What are some of your favorites?

Comments

• Mixing with Mike’s tutorials are excellent if you’re looking for info about mixing, which would also give insight into production.

• I say “House of Kush” on yt

• Just watch Rick Beato every day.

• @Lorichs said:
    I say “House of Kush” on yt

Right, I forgot about house of kush, Gregory is excellent. The vocal eq video is great (using only 3 frequencies and the volume to eq vocal as an exercise).

• @NeuM said:
    Just watch Rick Beato every day.

I second Rick Beato. His channel has some fantastic, educational insights into music. He also has a couple of great music theory videos as well in case that's something of interest.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@NeuM said:

I second Rick Beato. His channel has some fantastic, educational insights into music. He also has a couple of great music theory videos as well in case that's something of interest.

He’s just about the most interesting person in the behind-the-scenes music biz today (at least on YouTube).

• These look like some good options folks, thank you and keep em coming if you know one

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@NeuM said:

+1. In fairness, he does sound like a proper musical Jeremiah when he discusses the currently toplisted pop efforts though... 😀

• @ervin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@NeuM said:

+1. In fairness, he does sound like a proper musical Jeremiah when he discusses the currently toplisted pop efforts though... 😀

He has a good deal of both criticism and praise for today’s musicians and producers, which is usually fairly evenhanded.

• edited July 2021

Beato is pretty good for nuts-and-bolts, how-things-work stuff in music theory. Take his music criticism with a grain of salt though. He is clearly playing to his base audience, which is guys in his age group.

Adam Neely's channel is good for deep dives into nerdy topics. Lately he has done videos challenging fellow Youtubers to do certain things, like "Make happy music with Phrygian scale". It's interesting because they respond with full productions w/ drum tracks, beats, etc. - not just noodling on a guitar or piano.

Make pretty music with Locrian challenge

• I also bought and participated (as a student at home) in the live recording of Lij Shaw’s mixing workshop with Craig Alvin. If you want to really step your mixing up, I highly recommend it. It really was mixing life changing, I learned a ton and still pick up more when I rewatch it. I have about 20 pages of notes from it. No association with him, just a very very satisfied student (and podcast listener)

In fact, they even did a follow up zoom call about 2 months ago for people that have taken the workshop live or later to address any follow up questions, which was really cool. On top of that, Craig moved to Muscle Shoals, so he was discussing creating his new studio space eventually but also working in a typical bedroom setup for the time being. Very cool.

https://recording-studio-rockstars-academy.thinkific.com/courses/mixing-masterlass-with-craig-alvin

• edited July 2021

My personal favorites are
    1. Mixing Night with Ken Lewis. Ken has 100 gold records , hosts a live stream and is super friendly. He’s even appeared HennyThaBizness in this video -

1. Sol State Music to learn about modern producers and how they tackle their songs.

There are others like T-Pain,Kenny Beats, Ocean, Mayflwr, SweetscaleTV, Alex Rome, and more who I watch to understand different producers style.

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjLd6862BxCe7Dd6ukj3zEw

Maybe most of his stuff is more on the industrial side, but Ken Marshall's channel has some interesting breakdowns on stuff he worked on with some bands

• edited July 2021

Not sure if also mean stuff like this but some of these are very inspiring:

https://www.youtube.com/c/berkleemusic/videos

Eg this one

• Izotope’s “Are you listening?” series is pretty good IMO.

• @Tarekith said:
    Izotope’s “Are you listening?” series is pretty good IMO.

+1 iZotope has a lot of great content -- particularly anything Jonathan Wyner does.

SonicScoop is worth checking out, as well. They get some heavy hitters for their annual MixCon. Here's the playlist -

It looks like they recently had a virtual MixCon with Junkie XL and a couple of other pros. Those videos haven't been added to the playlist yet.