Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gain Stage Acoustic by Mani Consulting Limited Company - Released

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1567355339

Description:

Gain Stage Acoustic makes electric guitars sound acoustic and makes acoustic guitars with piezo pickups sound more natural. It includes input presets for a wide variety of magnetic and piezo pickups. Select the input type that most closely matches your guitar and pickup configuration, adjust to taste with the included eight band equalizer, and you're ready to go.

FEATURES

• Input profiles to support twenty different types of pickups
  • Natural reverbs designed especially for acoustic guitar
  • Stereo simulator to add guitar body resonance
  • Peak limiter
  • Hiss suppressor (based on multiband expander/noise gate)
  • 8 Band EQ
  • Includes both Audio Unit and standalone app

INPUT PROFILES
To get a good result, an acoustic guitar simulator needs to compensate for the EQ profile of the input pickup. This plugin includes over twenty customized input profiles for a variety of pickups and instruments including, various types of single coil and humbucking magnetic pickups, piezo pickups on acoustic guitars, piezo pickups on solid-body electric guitars, ukulele, and cigar box guitar. It also includes profiles for the acoustic guitar models in the popular GeoShred app.

DOES IT REALLY WORK?
Let's be honest: this app will not make your electric guitar sound like a 1930's Martin guitar recorded in a professional studio with a Neumann U87 condenser mic. But it will take any guitar with a magnetic or piezo pickup and make it sound much better and much closer to a natural acoustic tone. If you are playing acoustic style music through your iPad or iPhone with your guitar, you will hear a huge improvement in your tone when you use this app.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 13.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• edited July 2021

What's going on lately with all those acoustic preamp ?

• Bought… how can I turn down a developer that does special GeoShred presets🎸

• @GeoTony said:
    Bought… how can I turn down a developer that does special GeoShred presets🎸

Yeah, I just made the best GeoShred preset I could for an acoustic nylon guitar (with very mitigated results…) and sent this through Gain Stage Acoustic and the result is now very convincing ! Well done @Blue_Mangoo 👍

• @Paulo164 said:

@GeoTony said:

Yeah, I just made the best GeoShred preset I could for an acoustic nylon guitar (with very mitigated results…) and sent this through Gain Stage Acoustic and the result is now very convincing ! Well done @Blue_Mangoo 👍

Yes, GeoShred guitars have always been unconvincing (compared to Yonac’s Steel Guitar, for example) and now GeoShred’s default sounds can get a nice subtle tweak.

• I’m really curious how this would sound after a nylon style waveguide..

• edited July 2021

I like the Cigar Box Tele Neck preset on 4pockets MidiStrummer’s Steel Picked guitar sound. I turned off the chorus, delay and reverb in MidiStrummer and the reverb in the Gain Stage Acoustic app and then loaded IMPULSation up so I could find a reverb I liked. Certainly sounds better to my ears.

• @aleyas said:
    I’m really curious how this would sound after a nylon style waveguide..

Interesting.

• @Paulo164 said:

@GeoTony said:

I would love t hear it, if you made any recordings.

• edited July 2021

Here is a sample recording.. I have used Geoshred Steel Resonator Jr (taken reverb etc out).. Then applied Gain Stage Audio and finally Mixbox "Acoustic Ambient Shine" effect with reduced delay and reverb... Experts can comment how realistic it sounds..

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Paulo164 said:

@GeoTony said:

Sure ! I will make a simple recording as soon as I get back to home.

• I am so much waiting for the amplifier that was hinted on in this video:

Nothing coming down the pipe for us, @Blue_Mangoo ?
    😢😢💦

• edited July 2021

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Paulo164 said:

@GeoTony said:

Here it is !
    Only the intro, sorry… 😉

https://soundcloud.com/robin-pauletto-943284024/private-investigations-intro

• edited July 2021

@tja said:
    I am so much waiting for the amplifier that was hinted on in this video:

😢😢💦

This was a really interesting experiment, and we might use it someday. The main problem I was having with this approach to amp distortion is that it’s not very similar to what the hardware amps do. So we have this model of a “thing” that does high gain without aliasing, but the “thing” isn’t a transistor and it isn’t much like a tube either. When it comes to figuring out how to build an amplifier using those things, we’re on our own without any guidelines or past experience to draw on. It’s not difficult to put together some sort of amplifier using those things, like we did with Gain Stage Vintage Clean, but it’s hard to figure out how to make it sound like the classic amps people already know and love.

• @Paulo164 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Paulo164 said:

@GeoTony said:

Here it is !
    Only the intro, sorry… 😉

https://soundcloud.com/robin-pauletto-943284024/private-investigations-intro

Thanks man. I like that.

• Whoa, can’t believe I almost missed this. This is great. It could really give more life to a lot of the guitar presets in GarageBand. Checking this out ASAP. Thanks for the great work @Blue_Mangoo

• edited July 2021

@sujoybose77 said:
    Here is a sample recording.. I have used Geoshred Steel Resonator Jr (taken reverb etc out).. Then applied Gain Stage Audio and finally Mixbox "Acoustic Ambient Shine" effect with reduced delay and reverb... Experts can comment how realistic it sounds..

That sounds good.

I feel like these GeoShred models might be more realistic than they sound but because the velocity is stuck at a fixed value we immediately hear that they are models. I wonder if using a MIDI keyboard with velocity would help.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Whoa, can’t believe I almost missed this. This is great. It could really give more life to a lot of the guitar presets in GarageBand. Checking this out ASAP. Thanks for the great work @Blue_Mangoo

:)

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

😢😢💦

This was a really interesting experiment, and we might use it someday. The main problem I was having with this approach to amp distortion is that it’s not very similar to what the hardware amps do. So we have this model of a “thing” that does high gain without aliasing, but the “thing” isn’t a transistor and it isn’t much like a tube either. When it comes to figuring out how to build an amplifier using those things, we’re on our own without any guidelines or past experience to draw on. It’s not difficult to put together some sort of amplifier using those things, like we did with Gain Stage Vintage Clean, but it’s hard to figure out how to make it sound like the classic amps people already know and love.

To be honest, I am totally not interested in how this sounds or that it is similar to a classic amp.

I just want a way to increase the gain with few distortion.

🤗🤗🤗

• @tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

😢😢💦

To be honest, I am totally not interested in how this sounds or that it is similar to a classic amp.

🤗🤗🤗

https://socalabs.com/developer-tools/hugegain/
    (Source included, the developer has a few apps on the app-store already).

• tjatja
    edited July 2021

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

😢😢💦

🤗🤗🤗

You're an immense source of information, many thanks!

A 100dB gain sounds quite similar to what @Blue_Mangoo was trying!
    Did they implement the same method?

Going to read and install, if possible 🤗🤗🤗

EDIT: It is not available for iOS / iPadOS. So quite uninteresting for us iDevice nerds 😅

@Blue_Mangoo it is still an opportunity 😅

• anyone could compare this two plugins? They came almost the same day. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/acoustic-voice-preamp/id1573403690

• @tja said:

It's just a simple gain, very good for listening at the noise-floor of an audio interface :sunglasses:
    (So if you audio interface is giving you readings of -97db or so when a mic is connected you can boost it to near 0db and hear 'everything' including the noise generated by the interfaces AD but don't touch the mic LOL).

• edited July 2021

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

😢😢💦

🤗🤗🤗

It looks like it’s just a 100dB clean gain boost without the soft clipping. That is done with one line of code.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

😢😢💦

🤗🤗🤗

It looks like it’s just a 100dB clean gain boost without the soft clipping. That is done with one line of code.

Soooooo?

Will you - probably - implement your fantastic amplifier?

I think that this is a BIG THING!!!

• edited July 2021

@tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

😢😢💦

🤗🤗🤗

Soooooo?

Will you - probably - implement your fantastic amplifier?

I think that this is a BIG THING!!!

I don’t feel like we understand it well enough to make a good app from it. I am not saying we won’t release it, I just don’t want to release it until we figure out how to make something with it that I personally enjoy plugging my guitar into. We make a lot of experiments each year and not all of them end up in apps. Sometimes it takes years before the pieces come together in a way that really makes something good.

That 100dB amp sounds really flabby in the bass. When I use high pass filters to try to tighten it up, it looses a lot of gain before it gets reasonably tight. And by the time we get the low end under control then the loudness isn’t so extreme anymore. That’s a problem that real amps also struggle with and it’s why the gain channel on high gain amps high pass filter the input. I need some more time to learn about how the filters should fit together with the method we were using in that video because apparently I was missing something last time I tried it. I got tired of experimenting with it and decided to work on other things for a while instead.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@sujoybose77 said:

That sounds good.

I feel like these GeoShred models might be more realistic than they sound but because the velocity is stuck at a fixed value we immediately hear that they are models. I wonder if using a MIDI keyboard with velocity would help.

@Blue_Mangoo Velocity can be changed in Geoshred (Settings > Key-Y velocity) and with a very low-velocity curve (almost 10-degree angle) I was able to get quite close. I would admit here that I am trying to reproduce the "Lap Steel Guitar" like initial attack rather than acoustic guitar type. @Blue_Mangoo Do you think your attack softener would help me further to reduce the initial attack?

• Have you tried using his Attack Softerner app???

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/attack-softener/id1504605178

• @SNystrom said:
    Have you tried using his Attack Softerner app???

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/attack-softener/id1504605178

No I have not. That's why I asked him to try attack softner app and let us know as he has built that app too.

• @sujoybose77 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@sujoybose77 said:

That sounds good.

@Blue_Mangoo Velocity can be changed in Geoshred (Settings > Key-Y velocity) and with a very low-velocity curve (almost 10-degree angle) I was able to get quite close. I would admit here that I am trying to reproduce the "Lap Steel Guitar" like initial attack rather than acoustic guitar type. @Blue_Mangoo Do you think your attack softener would help me further to reduce the initial attack?

The attack softener will work well for that. Just set the softening strength low and it will take some of the edge off without loosing the click noise entirely.