Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OP-1 software update adds USB audio!

This is wild. The OP-1 is now a class-compliant USB audio device. Works in AUM, works with midi.

https://teenage.engineering/now

Comments

• added usb audio device in & out
    external tempo sync stability improved
    when tape is armed and OP-1 receives a play command, recording now starts

• Game, you know, changer. A bit. Grateful.

• Cool, now we need aggregrate devices on iOS to connect all the things.

Between this, digitakt, and MC101/707, it's neat that these devices function as audio interfaces, but not that useful if you're connecting multiple devices.

• @auxmux Routing with the OP-1 isn’t so great. You can’t monitor the connected iPad independently, like you can with the OP-Z.

That means there’s no way to send OP-1 audio to the iPad, add AU effects, and record it to OP-1 tape. Try it, and you get feedback.

With a Mac, and aggregate devices, it should work better.

Also, is iPad > OP-1 in mono over USB? It seems so for me.

• I only get the OP-1 both as "Hardware Input" and "Hardware Output" on AUM. So how can I get OP-1 as input but the iPad speaker as output? (iPad Air with no headphone jack).

• @alvescarlos said:
    I only get the OP-1 both as "Hardware Input" and "Hardware Output" on AUM. So how can I get OP-1 as input but the iPad speaker as output? (iPad Air with no headphone jack).

Aha. Sounds like OP-1 is offering itself as an "Audio Interface", so it overrides normal audio output, since you can only have one audio device. If AUM allows "Multiroute Audio" as does AB3, then you can use headphones separately. But that's it, no speakers. So, with no headphone jack, you're stuck.

• This update let me clear a few boxes off my desk, and ditch a zillion cables.

I was running Digitakt, OP-1, OP-Z, plus my guitar, into a Mackie mixer. The mixer was connected to an iConnect4+, and then to my Mac.

Now, since I can use all three of those boxes as USB audio interfaces, I have ditched the Mackie and iConnect, and dug out a K-Mix I've been trying to sell for months. I also removed a Neutrik patch bay.

Now I have way more space on my desk, and as I'm using Rogue Amoeba's Loopback to consolidate all audio devices (except the Digitakt, which I use via Overbridge), I can still route audio between the boxes in Ableton.

Pretty sweet!

• edited September 2021

For those wondering I was able to get OP1 audio into AUM over USB and out over headphones plugged into my USB hub (with 3.5mm jack). In order to do this I had to force close AUM, then open AudioBus 3. After you do that then select OP1 as an input in AB3, and the Headphones as an output. Then you can go into AUM (leave AB3 running in background) and do the same :) This will allow you to use AUM as an FX unit, and/or looper, etc. In my use case I am putting an ENSO looper as the first AU in my signal chain, then FX and recording loops into the ENSO(s). Working great so far!! Only thing I have not figured out is how to get MIDI routing to work right (it is double triggering the OP1).

• What a waste of a USB port.