Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some updates on Samplist

Hey everyone, I have a few updates regarding Samplist:

Due to iOS14 and AudioKit deprecations Samplist was suffering from some bugs. Mainly MIDI wasn't working anymore, Audiobus was buggy, and a few others.

I'm really sorry for the delay, but as I told a few of you in private, I suffered from this stupid Covid, a couple of job changes... It's been a hectic year and a half.

Anyway, the thing is I had to update Samplist and it's libraries so it's compatible with the latest iOS.
But doing so, I had to let go the Audiobus implementation because Apple deprecated Inter-app audio and the only route to go is AuV3 which is still a huge unknown for me. Luckily the AudioKit guys have a nice working example so I'm gonna study that one.

But meanwhile I decided to create a new functionality for Samplist, and that is RESAMPLING. So in addition to sampling from the device's input, you can now record Samplist's output into a file. So it might not be perfect, but at least you can run your beat in background and play the chops in Samplist and then copy the file and do whatever with it.

I'm gonna post a hot-fix update with this functionality and then focus on the ever growing list of user requests I got from a lot of nice people.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Comments

• Here's how it will work

• Nice one, @alecsbuga ! Sorry to hear your year has been tough. Great to hear you are working on Samplist. Good luck with it!

• @alecsbuga : I am sorry to hear about the difficulties and hope that things are looking up.

FWIW, while Apple deprecated IAA, they haven't removed support for it in iOS 14 or iOS 15...and it would not be surprising if they continued to support it for years given the large number of popular IAA apps.

• @espiegel123 I know, but I was using Audiobus via a library from AudioKit, and they removed it altogether :(

• @alecsbuga said:
    @espiegel123 I know, but I was using Audiobus via a library from AudioKit, and they removed it altogether :(

I see. Bummer. Fingers-crossed for you that making it work as an AUv3 won't be too hard.

• @espiegel123 said:

@alecsbuga said:
    @espiegel123 I know, but I was using Audiobus via a library from AudioKit, and they removed it altogether :(

I see. Bummer. Fingers-crossed for you that making it work as an AUv3 won't be too hard.

You should also probably put a big warning about the removal of IAA/Audiobus support so that people rely on audio connectivity don't lose it when updating since there isnt a way to rollback an uodate for most people.

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@alecsbuga said:

You should also probably put a big warning about the removal of IAA/Audiobus support so that people rely on audio connectivity don't lose it when updating since there isnt a way to rollback an uodate for most people.

Yeah, I was thinking of that, and also to remove the "feature" highlight from the marketing website.

Also, the latest version in the store... is kinda broken. Midi doesn't work so it's busted anyways :(

• edited July 2021

And it's live! Enjoy!
    Please send feedback if something goes wrong. I almost had a heart attach this morning when I saw that Samplist folder wasn't visible anymore in Files app. But I guess it was due to the fact that I ran multiple versions while developing.

If that happens, let me know. Have a great one and enjoy.

PS: Samplist is available on Mac M1 if you want to run it on the desktop, and also the MIDI input works on mac too :smile:

• Good work @alecsbuga Thank you!

• Thanks @Pierre118 glad you like it and hope you find it useful.

• Is it AU now?

• @NTKK said:
    Is it AU now?

Read the first post

• Best of luck with your challenges, maintaining software compatibility can be a pain in the butt for sure.

• Any update on this?

• @HotStrange said:
    Any update on this?

On AUv3? Nope. I still wish I can do an AudioUnit from Samplist but I didn't cracked it yet. Honestly I kinda gave up. I saw a few samplers out there with AUv3 support and I feel like my battle is lost already.

I'm looking through what they announced at WWDC this year to see if there's something new in there but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• @alecsbuga said:

@HotStrange said:
    Any update on this?

On AUv3? Nope. I still wish I can do an AudioUnit from Samplist but I didn't cracked it yet. Honestly I kinda gave up. I saw a few samplers out there with AUv3 support and I feel like my battle is lost already.

I'm looking through what they announced at WWDC this year to see if there's something new in there but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Shame as samplist is beautifully designed with a great ui. I get it though, there’s lots of apps in that space now.

• @alecsbuga Hope all is well! Idk if you’re aware but the title of the app still says “inter-app audio midi sampler”

I’m guessing you’d wanna remove that labeling since you removed the inter-app audio connectivity.

• @alecsbuga said:

@HotStrange said:
    Any update on this?

I can’t be mad at you for that. Sorry to hear it, but I’ll be there for it if/when you decide. If not, I understand and hope you’re well!

• So... There's this nice kind gentleman who created an easy to understand example of a working AUv3. And I managed to wrap my head around it.

I don't promise anything as I'm just dipping toes, but looks like it's working.

If I manage to get it working I'll probably do a version that just pipes sound around and worry about presets and automation later. But I'm still committed to it.

Thanks for the support

• edited August 2022

@alecsbuga said:
    So... There's this nice kind gentleman who created an easy to understand example of a working AUv3. And I managed to wrap my head around it.

If I manage to get it working I'll probably do a version that just pipes sound around and worry about presets and automation later. But I'm still committed to it.

Thanks for the support

I’ve recorded a small tuto how to create a simple auv3 within 5 minutes.
    Hope it’ll help.
    You can find it here :

• @alecsbuga said:
    So... There's this nice kind gentleman who created an easy to understand example of a working AUv3. And I managed to wrap my head around it.

Thanks for the support

That’s great news. I love this app. Looking forward to it.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Hope it’ll help.
    You can find it here :

Perfect! Hopefully everyone watches it and decides to make more IOS apps for us but especially @SevenSystems, @LuisMartinez, @azul3D_Apps and last but not least some coders with Korg!!!!!!

• @McD 😊. Would love to make more iOS apps. Let’s see what the future brings...

• @Jeezs said:

@alecsbuga said:

Thanks for the support

Hope it’ll help.
    You can find it here :

Just saw it. Yeah it's nice, but not the UI was my problem. Hooking up the AVAudioEngine of Samplist to the OBJ-C code of the AUAudioUnit ;)

The "manualRenderBlock" shit.

But this guy seem to made it work with AudioKit. I can easily run his example on my machines.

• @alecsbuga said:

@Jeezs said:

@alecsbuga said:

Thanks for the support

Hope it’ll help.
    You can find it here :

Just saw it. Yeah it's nice, but not the UI was my problem. Hooking up the AVAudioEngine of Samplist to the OBJ-C code of the AUAudioUnit ;)

The "manualRenderBlock" shit.

But this guy seem to made it work with AudioKit. I can easily run his example on my machines.

I have faith in you brother. Take us home!

• I want to report some success :)
    Managed to run a barebones version of Samplist in AUM & Garage band.
    So it looks promising. I think a lot of work will go into state saving/loading, and connecting the ui parameters to AU Parameters so you can automate & shit.

Pff... I'm so freaking happy! Looking forward for the weekend.