Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can't find Koala Sampler in list of effects apps

I just installed Audiobus on my iPad pro, and want to use it with Koala Sampler, but can't find it in the list of effects in Audiobus! I've tried restarting, enabling Ableton Link in Koala Sampler, and making sure that Local Network permissions are enabled for both Audiobus and Koala Sampler. And then after enabling those settings, I restarted again. I also tried re-installing Koala Sampler.

Am I missing something? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Comments

• Start Koala first outside of Audiobus. Then place it as an Output, not an FX. I don't know why Koala needs to be started first outside of Audiobus. I think it's always been this way, and is probably something not quite implemented correctly in Koala.

It seems like it should go in an FX slot, but only goes in as an output. Another oddity with Koala.

• Still no dice, I'm afraid.

Koala does say that it's connected to 1 peer though, so it looks like they're talking. It just doesn't show up in any of the lists in Audiobus.

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@petdav said:
    Still no dice, I'm afraid.

Koala does say that it's connected to 1 peer though, so it looks like they're talking. It just doesn't show up in any of the lists in Audiobus.

That message is from Ableton Link, meaning that Audiobus and Koala are both syncing with Link, not that they're joined in any other way.

I don't have any further advice. Starting it outside of Audiobus and putting it in the output position on the Audio page works 100% of the time for me.

Oh wait ... in Koala check Settings > Audio > Background audio is enabled.

• Koala is an IAA fx, not Auv3. Is that maybe the issue?

• @wim said:
    Start Koala first outside of Audiobus. Then place it as an Output, not an FX. I don't know why Koala needs to be started first outside of Audiobus. I think it's always been this way, and is probably something not quite implemented correctly in Koala.

It seems like it should go in an FX slot, but only goes in as an output. Another oddity with Koala.

Koala will run in an AudioBus effect slot (at least on my iPad which is running iOS 13.7), but Koala needs to have been manually launched for it to show up as being available as an effect on my iPad.

• @wim said:

It was not enabled, but unfortunately that hasn't gotten it going either. Are you running these in split-screen, or do you have one in the background?

This is weird, because I've gotten AudioShare and Koala to work together, so inter-app audio is working in Koala, and AudioBus detected AudioShare and AudioKit right out of the box. So it seems like these two just don't like each other for some reason.

@insight said:
    Koala is an IAA fx, not Auv3. Is that maybe the issue?

I do wonder about this. IAA is deprecated as of iOS 13, but it doesn't seem to have been removed yet.

Have folks gotten this working on iPadOS 14.6?

• @petdav said:

@wim said:

It was not enabled, but unfortunately that hasn't gotten it going either. Are you running these in split-screen, or do you have one in the background?

This is weird, because I've gotten AudioShare and Koala to work together, so inter-app audio is working in Koala, and AudioBus detected AudioShare and AudioKit right out of the box. So it seems like these two just don't like each other for some reason.

@insight said:

I do wonder about this. IAA is deprecated as of iOS 13, but it doesn't seem to have been removed yet.

Are you launching Koala first?

Are you making sure that you are looking in the Apps tab and not the AU tab?

• @espiegel123 said:

@petdav said:

@wim said:

@insight said:

Are you launching Koala first?

Are you making sure that you are looking in the Apps tab and not the AU tab?

Yup. I've tried launching Koala first, then opening AudioBus afterward, as well as opening Koala first and then adding AudioBus to split-screen.

And each time I've tried this, I've checked the Apps tab, as well as all the other taps just in case.

• @petdav said:

@wim said:

Doesn't matter if it's split screen, background, or foreground. Always works. I'm on iOS 13.7; maybe that's the difference.

• @seonnthaproducer thank you, I was having the same issue as well and that preset made it show back up again for me

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    @seonnthaproducer thank you, I was having the same issue as well and that preset made it show back up again for me

Glad to hear. Have fun. 👍😁

• @seonnthaproducer
    Beautiful! It finally works. Thanks so much!