Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ruin - A Riffle through Riffler, posted at the very worst time of the decade to do it

edited July 2021 in Creations

Gotta be a terrible idea posting a new piece right now, but hey, what can I say? - I’m not a football fan.

So for the delectation of all (or at least the three people in the UK not tied to the tv tonight) here is the results of my first encounter with @jon_bell ’s amazing Riffler.

I ended up using a File Player loop of the wav it came up with half speed pitched down to do the bass, took the midi file equivalent of the riff at full speed into Atom2 and used that to drive MIDI Strummer, and ran both through versions of amps and fx from Overloud with some Lofi assistance from Fly Tape and Tape Cassette. Then I put another THU rig onto the Shockwave synth app, hooked it up to KB-1 and another instance of Atom 2, and, er, I believe the phrase is ‘jammed’ over the top of the loops. I then did a quick and dirty screen record of the result (couldn’t be arsed to run everything into a DAW), and took that loop back through another AUM session with Maze Rider, FAC Bandit and Woot riding shotgun on the mastering. Et voila.

As usual, interested to hear what anyone thinks. Especially as this is closer to an, ahem ‘song’ than I usually get.

Comments

• I like the laidback, slow but swung strum.

• Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m no expert, but a little constructive criticism. Maybe a little much on the noise/high end, at least to my ears, and through my iPad speakers, which can’t necessarily be trusted. I think a little LPF would go a long way. Unless that was totally the intention, if so please disregard this, Lol.

• i think this is awesome. really cool piece of music. reminds me of flash gordon soundtrack

• This sounds really good, I like the textures. Interestingly a small plane flew by my house about a minute or so in, its low drone was exactly the right bass root note, so much so I had to mute your track to check it wasn't in there. It sounded really good, so I can recommend a low drone bass!

• Hi all :) @Poppadocrock : thanks for the listen, and the thoughtful critique. All criticism is always welcome! :) Yeah - it’s tricky. I mixed this using my iPad speakers, and my big Alexa smart speaker, and finally ran it through the SoundCloud AI mastering tool. I actually deliberately subbed in the noise and toppiness at the start and end of the track, using Fly Tape, as I wanted the sound to emerge from and sink back into a bed of static, and kept some Lo-Fi tape noise and clicks from Cassette Tape running throughout the piece - basically putting back in the kind of noise which were the signs of crappy recording back in my Portastudio days! :)

Obviously these things are a matter of taste, and I also don’t mind admitting that my 59 year old ears have certainly lost a lot of their top end these days, so it may be that I overdid it! It was a quick and dirty screen recorded grab, so serves me right for not doing it as a proper multitrack mix. Problem was my nearly full IPad was acting up, the apps weren’t displaying right in AUM ( going into them gave the ‘standalone’ version of their graphics) and so I couldn’t be sure if I shut the session to do it properly I’d get it back intact. So I went with the emergency screen grab option…

@shinyisshiny : thank you! High praise indeed - the Flash Gordon soundtrack is awesome:

@SimonSomeone : Ha! Yes - good idea! I did think of adding a few more layers to the piece, before I had my iPad gonna crash intervention, and had to cut my losses… :)