Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: iPhone hotspot

the costs for mobile unlimited internet have drastically decreased in my country, so I tried it out for the first time in my life. I have good signal reception where I’m staying, and it’s great to have internet access in the forest this summer.

I guess you guys have this since years, and know how to deal with hotspots. I manage to connect my devices to my hotspot, but it is quite difficult. I lose about 20 minutes per day when I try to re-establish connections after a device was paused or shut down. The device does see the hotspot, but doesn’t automatically connect to it (in very rare cases it does). Manually connecting produces an error message, and never connects.

What helps is to deactivate the hotspot and disable Wifi on the other device, and activate hotspot and re-enable Wifi. I do this several times a day, and it gets really complicated when I want to add a second, third, etc. device (mostly iPads). With the above procedure I can connect the second device, only to find out that meanwhile the first device has disconnected and won’t connect automatically. And so on. It’s really annoying and time consuming. It also doesn’t make sense.

To my surprise, I cannot find an answer using a search engine. My conclusion is that this problem is not common. So here is my question: what is the right way to deal with hotspots? Thanks in advance for your tips and tricks.

Comments

• edited July 2021

My experience is the same as yours. I can never get more than one iPad (using my iPhone XR as the hotspot) connected at a time. Have tried with multiple iPads to no avail. It should be possible, but I could never get it to work. 5g speed is greatly reduced in any case.

• Sucks battery like crazy too.

• tjatja
    edited July 2021

Hotspot does simply not work.
    At all.

The devices constantly loose the connecion, if the client is not continuously using the internet connection.
    And there is no automatic reconnection.
    You may need to both restart the Hotspot and then re-select the Hotspot at the client.

It is a massive mess, like with so many things Apple does.
    The same is true for any VPN connection.

There is only one way to better the situation for VPN:

When you have a corporate device that allows to establish a permanent VPN over a corporate profile.
    That could probably also help with a Hotspot connection.

• edited July 2021

Personally, I find my hotspot to be stable and good most of the time. I use it for a lot of remote support work and it has been solid. I connect a Mac and an iPad without issues. The iPad sees the Hotspot when it's available and asks if I want to connect. I could have it set to automatically connect, but I like to have some choice as to when this happens. The Mac disconnects when I put it to sleep and I just need to select the hotspot when it awakens and all is good. If I need to connect my Linux or Windows computer to it I need to turn the hotspot off and back on again so that these machines see the broadcast. Once they do they automatically connect. I think there have been the odd time where I have hit network congestion issues, but for the most part it is my primary way of connection.

• I have never had issues connecting to my hotspot when I haven used to tether, whether it’s tethering my Mac or iPad. Other people have been able to connect to it as well if I’ve given them the password.

• tjatja
    edited July 2021

I have no experience with Hotspot on Macs.
    I was referring to using an iPhone's Hotspot for an iPad, which seems to be what the OP wants to use.
    And that's a hellish mess.

• @tja said:
    I was referring to using an iPhone's Hotspot for an iPad, which seems to be what the OP wants to use.

I understood, but am saying that I don’t have a problem connecting either device to my iPhone’s hotspot. I have connected non Apple devices to it as well without issue.

• edited July 2021

I use my Huawei P30 Pro's hotspot to connect all of my other stuff to the net. It works like a charm but what I actually would prefer if anyone knows anything about them, is to connect via a sim card router? Is there any actual benefit to this route, other than not having to faff around with my phone?

• Never really had an issue when I’ve tried it. I would imagine issues are more down to country and carrier rather than the hardware.

• If you're really considering to use a 4G/5G connection as your primary internet access, you should really get a dedicated 4G/5G router.

I've been using a Huawei B315 since 2017. 100 bucks. The internet connection and all WiFi connections to it are 100% stable, and it manages to catch a 4G signal even if you bury it in the ground (almost).

• @mrufino1 said:

@tja said:

I understood, but am saying that I don’t have a problem connecting either device to my iPhone’s hotspot. I have connected non Apple devices to it as well without issue.

Interesting, and strange.
    The devices using the Hotspot constantly looses the connectivity, with my devices.
    I think that the Hotspot of the iPhone just get's cancelled as soon as the connected device does not use Internet anymore.

• @tja said:

@mrufino1 said:

@tja said:

The devices using the Hotspot constantly looses the connectivity, with my devices.
    I think that the Hotspot of the iPhone just get's cancelled as soon as the connected device does not use Internet anymore.

Leaving the Personal Hotspot page in Settings open helps in my experience... (and disable Auto-Lock if not already done)... but if you're on battery, probably dim the brightness to minimum ☺️

• edited July 2021

@tja said:

@mrufino1 said:

@tja said:

That’s strange, I haven’t had that experience at all. Does your mobile plan include mobile hotspot? Maybe that’s the issue. I have it included on mine, maybe that makes a difference. Also, Bluetooth and WiFi need to be enabled on both from my understanding, that could also be the issue.
    Now watch, today I’ll need it and it won’t work….

• @ashh said:
    I use my Huawei P30 Pro's hotspot to connect all of my other stuff to the net. It works like a charm but what I actually would prefer if anyone knows anything about them, is to connect via a sim card router? Is there any actual benefit to this route, other than not having to faff around with my phone?

What @SevenSystems said. The other advantages to this is that you can then customise your internal network to work the way you prefer as well as connect to the router via Ethernet cable, easily add servers and other devices like printers etc and if you just want the devices to talk to each other without being connected to the Internet then this is how you would do it. One of the main issues with using the Hotspot is that you have to have an Internet connection running in order for it to work as a network.

• @arktek said:

@ashh said:

What @SevenSystems said. The other advantages to this is that you can then customise your internal network to work the way you prefer as well as connect to the router via Ethernet cable, easily add servers and other devices like printers etc and if you just want the devices to talk to each other without being connected to the Internet then this is how you would do it. One of the main issues with using the Hotspot is that you have to have an Internet connection running in order for it to work as a network.

Also, a proper router has a proper WiFi chipset that can handle the full speeds supported by the standard. I'm not sure Personal Hotspot does that, either.

• @ashh said:

@SevenSystems said:
    If you're really considering to use a 4G/5G connection as your primary internet access, you should really get a dedicated 4G/5G router.

I've been using a Huawei B315 since 2017. 100 bucks. The internet connection and all WiFi connections to it are 100% stable, and it manages to catch a 4G signal even if you bury it in the ground (almost).

@arktek said:

I either haven't encountered those issues or don't have cause to need the features. Networking isn't something I need outside of actually connecting to the web. That aside, thanks for your replies as they are helpful in making a decision about whether to get a router or not.

• edited July 2021

@SevenSystems said:
    If you're really considering to use a 4G/5G connection as your primary internet access, you should really get a dedicated 4G/5G router.

I’ ve been using a mobile Huawei router with SIM card from a friend for a year. It’s great, works flawlessly. Now I use the hotspot method because it’s almost half the price (I don’t understand much about providers and costs, there probably is a similar cheap offer for mobile routers).

Leaving the hotspot settings app open on the iPhone appears to facilitate connecting sometimes, but not always.

Thank you dear people for your answers. Now I know that it is a commonly known problem.

• edited July 2021

@SevenSystems said:
    Leaving the Personal Hotspot page in Settings open helps in my experience... (and disable Auto-Lock if not already done)... but if you're on battery, probably dim the brightness to minimum ☺️

after some experience, devices connect automatically indeed as you say. Every time. The connecting device may need to have the Settings Wifi page opened too, but sometimes it’s not necessary. The laptop I connect with USB, and this also works reliably when the iPhone is unlocked with the Hotspot page open. Thank you for the tip/reassurance.

It works also with a camera mixer/streaming device via USB cable. A recent firmware update made it possible. I can stream up to four cameras from wherever I have mobile reception. This opens entirely new territories. Great times we live in.

• @tja said:

It works fine for me...we rely on it pretty frequently as our wired internet connection sometimes goes out and we have to resort to using an iPhone to tether iPads and Macs.

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

It works fine for me...we rely on it pretty frequently as our wired internet connection sometimes goes out and we have to resort to using an iPhone to tether iPads and Macs.

Hmmm.
    Weird.

With my tries, the connection constantly got lost.
    To fix, I need to disable the Hotspot first, disable Wifi on the "client", re-enable the Hotspot and then re-enable Wifi on the client.

Maybe I remember the problem from some older iOS version? I may try again to check this ...