Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Riffler by Jonathan Bell

Comments

• @oat_phipps said:

@Ailerom said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Shame I can’t buy it for support (principle, I gotta come up with my own stuff), but very impressive. Way better than I expected.

If you can't use it on principle wouldn't the only reason you could buy it be for support?

Yeah, you got me. But I’ve spent a boatload this month. I probably will actually buy it somewhere down the line, but not at the moment. Gotta cut myself off for a couple weeks.

Just a play on words. :) It's pretty cool just for practice. Helps me with a bit of structure rather than mindless noodling.

• Thank you from the very bottom of my heavy metal heart for this app. Had so much damn fun jamming out to this last night. Can’t wait to see how it evolves. Best 10 bucks I’ve spent in a long time🤘🤘

• Congratulations and thanx for this very exciting app !
    I also immediately thought of the wonderful Piano Motif. The demos on your site and, moreover, your nice presence in this forum convinced me straight away, I buy :)
    Good luck for the rest of the development, I can't wait to see how far all this will take us 😃🤟

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Would love to see some indie rock and alternative type preset categories.

I'm definitely going to be adding more rock, indie, blues, etc. presets in future version.

• @InfinityRoom said:
    Thank you from the very bottom of my heavy metal heart for this app. Had so much damn fun jamming out to this last night. Can’t wait to see how it evolves. Best 10 bucks I’ve spent in a long time🤘🤘

Really pleased you liked it! :) Thanks for letting me know.

• I've be amazed by the support of everyone on this forum, thank you all the comments!

I've written down all the suggestions people have made and will be adding these features in future updates. It's been really nice having fresh eyes on the app as there are lots of things that are obvious now they've been pointed out but I would have never noticed myself! The UI definitely needs some updates to make it cleaner and easier to use.

I got a big update due next week that will be adding new presets, improving the riffs and adding 6/8 and swing rhythms. After that I'm going to focusing on improving the UI but also adding chord progressions. Currently the riffs are all built on a static chord but when the chord progressions are enabled there will be some harmonic moment in each measure.

Further down the line I'm going to add more export options, including the option to import and export the riff data so that people can share riffs. Ultimately I want Riffler to be an AUv3 plugin so that it could be used live with other apps.

I'm also planning some YouTube video tutorials when I can explain how to create a new riff style from scratch and how all the parameters interact together in detail.

If anyone has any suggestions or finds any bugs please let me know.

Thanks again ,

Jon

• @oat_phipps said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    Would love to see some indie rock and alternative type preset categories.

If you can’t come up with jangles then I dunno what to tell ya. :* Find another open tuning? E major works well. B)

I’ll write you an entire indie album for a lunch or two if you want.

You sort of jumped to a conclusion there... I was just kindly suggesting that adding some indie/alternative rock into the mix of categories might broaden the appeal, at least for me it would. I like the genres available but would like to see one or 2 added. Maybe that’s a whole separate app, who knows, it was just a suggestion. I Don’t have the app yet but I’m really interested and will most likely get it sooner rather then later. I have zero problems creating, all my issues are on the back end ( ie properly finishing/mastering)

That said, I do need to start using more alternate tunings. I use a couple, but just the basics.

That’s quite the offer… I’m cool for now.

• @richardyot said:
    Yeah the is the first generative app that's ever impressed me. Good stuff.

Piano motifs doesn’t?

• Just a suggestion or 2
    Would be good if names of presets were saved with wav/midi
    Would also be good if bars could be copied and pasted.
    But overall its a blast!
    I find a good way to saved tracks is without the distortion and then let Mixbox work its magic.

• @jon_bell Not sure if it has been suggested but a random button might be cool. Even better if there were some sort of randomisation options. Like total random, random scale, random genre etc?

• @jon_bell love the app, thank you! please make sure to include a tip jar of sorts in your updates. You have a lot of feature request here, and i know it will be a fair amount of work. I and im sure others will be happy to throw a few more bucks to help support the growth of this app.

Piano motifs has a tip jar with small, medium, and large tips i believe.

• Can I Djent with this app?

• @iOSTRAKON yes Djent is one of the preset style options

• @Ailerom said:
    @jon_bell Not sure if it has been suggested but a random button might be cool. Even better if there were some sort of randomisation options. Like total random, random scale, random genre etc?

There is one already, at the bottom of the settings page.

• edited July 2021

@Pxlhg said:

@Ailerom said:
    @jon_bell Not sure if it has been suggested but a random button might be cool. Even better if there were some sort of randomisation options. Like total random, random scale, random genre etc?

There is one already, at the bottom of the settings page.

Thanks, but I was hoping for something a bit more immediate on the front page. Even a random button with a drop down checkbox list to choose what to randomise would be super.

E.g.

• All
    • Scale
    • Genre
    • 1 Octave
    • 2 Octaves
    • 3 Octaves
    • Key

etc.

• @jon_bell said:
    I've be amazed by the support of everyone on this forum, thank you all the comments!

I've written down all the suggestions people have made and will be adding these features in future updates. It's been really nice having fresh eyes on the app as there are lots of things that are obvious now they've been pointed out but I would have never noticed myself! The UI definitely needs some updates to make it cleaner and easier to use.

I got a big update due next week that will be adding new presets, improving the riffs and adding 6/8 and swing rhythms. After that I'm going to focusing on improving the UI but also adding chord progressions. Currently the riffs are all built on a static chord but when the chord progressions are enabled there will be some harmonic moment in each measure.

Further down the line I'm going to add more export options, including the option to import and export the riff data so that people can share riffs. Ultimately I want Riffler to be an AUv3 plugin so that it could be used live with other apps.

I'm also planning some YouTube video tutorials when I can explain how to create a new riff style from scratch and how all the parameters interact together in detail.

If anyone has any suggestions or finds any bugs please let me know.

Thanks again ,

Jon

Chord progressions and Riffler as an auv3 plugin would be epic 😊

1. Yeah, a chord progression and auv3 would be sweet. Also, customized tuning, if I wanna make some Pavement/sonic Youth-style generated chords.
    2. Here's the full demo I made for the app (There's also a Giveaway involved).
  • I see his other apps have some jazz, blues, gypsy, acoustic focus. Does this one do a lot besides metal?

• Hey @jon_bell slightly off topic but just curious… will jazz solo creator ever get midi out or midi export?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Hey @jon_bell slightly off topic but just curious… will jazz solo creator ever get midi out or midi export?

Short answer is no. Long answer is all my old apps were written using a cross platform (iOS, Android, desktop, etc) framework that made it impossible to add advanced, platform specific features like MIDI out or MIDI export.

@Model10000 said:
    I see his other apps have some jazz, blues, gypsy, acoustic focus. Does this one do a lot besides metal?

I'm going to be adding more blues and rock sounds to Riffler soon. I don't think I'll be adding jazz or acoustic sounds though.

I'm releasing a companion app later in the year that will create guitar solos rather than guitar riffs. This will have blues solos, jazz solos, gypsy jazz, etc.

• Just bought the app based on the comments here - so usable, a very inspiring jumping off point for a new song. Looking forward to more development, but already awesome!

• @Ailerom said:

Can I +1 that, like, 10000 times? Random is alway a great option. :)

It would be great to have user selectable randomisation over different elements, and then also maybe ‘variation’ by a percentage, where a new riff could be built off a sliding scale percentage of the previous riff, so you could tweak and evolve it over several iterations?

• edited July 2021

@Svetlovska said:

@Ailerom said:

It would be great to have user selectable randomisation over different elements, and then also maybe ‘variation’ by a percentage, where a new riff could be built off a sliding scale percentage of the previous riff, so you could tweak and evolve it over several iterations?

I guess we are getting into the asking for too much territory now but how cool would a complexity slider be? Especially if it updated the tab right before your eyes. Generate tab and then adjust complexity from 0 to 100 percent. From easy to pure insanity. B) I'd IAP that.

• That’s cool, just wondering. Thanks @jon_bell

• @Ailerom said:

@Svetlovska said:

@Ailerom said:

I guess we are getting into the asking for too much territory now but how cool would a complexity slider be? Especially if it updated the tab right before your eyes. Generate tab and then adjust complexity from 0 to 100 percent. From easy to pure insanity. B) I'd IAP that.

That all sounds like a great idea. I really like the idea of being able to evolve the riff in real time. It will involving changing how the audio is created so would take some work but it is very doable.

• this app is so much fun. i had a blast saturday. generating riffs , and then playing them back on my guitar. it felt just like when a friends shows you a cool riff and you learn it together. really fun

• @jon_bell said:

@Ailerom said:

@Svetlovska said:

@Ailerom said:

That all sounds like a great idea. I really like the idea of being able to evolve the riff in real time. It will involving changing how the audio is created so would take some work but it is very doable.

Even if you had to stop, adjust, evaluate visually and hit play. Would be wonderful. Thanks for thinking about it.

• @jon_bell i love this app so much. a couple things.. Not sure if they have been mentioned already, but shooting my shot anyways.

1. Some of the midi files are not loading in ableton when exported to desktop. It happens 50% of the time. No rhyme or reason that ive been able to figure out

2. Would love to be able to change the key of a created riff, also would be great if when exported key and bpm info was a part of the exported name.

3. would love for it to keep playing when switching styles / parameters etc, having to go back to the main page after tweaking something is a bit tedious

4. some more amp/ distorion options would be awesome

5. I think i saw something here already, but a chord progression generated with the riff would be so epic.

6. i know you said more styles are coming, im requesting, funk, disco, jazz, and indie pop. R&B / trap would be cool too.

thanks again for such a wonderful app, please dont hesitate to make some in app purchases or a tip jar!

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @jon_bell i love this app so much. a couple things.. Not sure if they have been mentioned already, but shooting my shot anyways.

1. Some of the midi files are not loading in ableton when exported to desktop. It happens 50% of the time. No rhyme or reason that ive been able to figure out

2. Would love to be able to change the key of a created riff, also would be great if when exported key and bpm info was a part of the exported name.

3. would love for it to keep playing when switching styles / parameters etc, having to go back to the main page after tweaking something is a bit tedious

4. some more amp/ distorion options would be awesome

5. I think i saw something here already, but a chord progression generated with the riff would be so epic.

6. i know you said more styles are coming, im requesting, funk, disco, jazz, and indie pop. R&B / trap would be cool too.

thanks again for such a wonderful app, please dont hesitate to make some in app purchases or a tip jar!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really pleased to hear you like the app!

1) I working on changing how the midi files are created at the moment. This should solve all of the midi file bugs in the next update.

2) Better export file name coming very soon. Key changes coming shortly after!

3) I'm going to be rearranging the UI so that all the useful controls are on the main screen to avoid wasting time jumping between menus.

4) I'm planning to add more amp sounds in future. Are there any sounds you would like to hear?

5) Chord progressions coming soon!

6) Thanks. I'll add them to the to-do list!