Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video and Beat mashups

Sharing a batch of these that I’ve put together over the past few days. I have to thank @childofthecorndog and theinvisibleman (I don’t think he’s around here any more), both of whom have shared a lot of visual content overlayed on top of Drambo screen records that got me interested in trying things out.

I have always felt like my music would be more interesting with a visual component; they’re generally just beats, not full fledged compositions. This has opened up a new world of potential creativity for me and I look forward for making more. I’ve landed on a workflow using good old screen record, iOS Photo App for cutting clips, and the free app CapCut for the actual arrangement and editing that seems to work just fine.

Right Where I Want You

Roses Magiques

Always Something

Just Say

Comments

• Nice stuff!. Goes really well together and emphasizes the music. 👏👍

• Ben!! Thanks for doing these!!! I am glad that you posted your music. I must admit though that I missed the ….. Hi! This is Ben….. 😁🔥

• Was wowed when these turned up in my YouTube feed. Impressive. Most impressive.

• Woah, really enjoyed these, well done.

• Thanks all! This is a new outlet for me and with the last one, the visuals inspired the music, instead of vice versa. Knowing I will possibly create a video for a beat and sometimes having a visual in mind already helps to direct the composition process. I’m excited to keep exploring this medium.

What is this type of video called? It’s not purely a mashup, I don’t think, the beat synced cuts seem distinct enough. I’ve seen loads of them over the years and always enjoyed watching. Anyone have a better way of making them than manually in a video editor? I tried several of the vjing apps but none of them accepted midi from music apps on my iPad. Privacy issues aside, CapCut is relatively painless.

• Awesome Ben! I posted on one of your YT videos that these creative pieces from you are amazing!

I’ve got a question, where do you acquire all of these video clips? I’m assuming they’re royalty free and all?

• edited July 2021

@Edward_Alexander said:
    I’ve got a question, where do you acquire all of these video clips? I’m assuming they’re royalty free and all?

I see some Wes Anderson, Peter Weir, etc. in there, so I doubt it, but I think there’s enough creative reuse, cool edits and layering to put in the fair use category.

In any case, just before I read your post, I was going through my Pinterest to select some stuff for VS, Pixel Nodes and Takete, and was nonetheless mindful to use vintage stuff ;)

• Nice work bro ✌️

• @Edward_Alexander @jebni oh no, this is all protected works (except for Roses Magiques which falls in the public domain). Same with the samples for the music. If anything ever came of it, YouRube (typo, but I’m leaving it) would simply remove the videos.

For the most part the samples are used obscurely enough that I don’t think they would get flagged by a machine, but then I’m putting the artist in the description as a acknowledgement so a lawyer could figure it out.

The fair use case is interesting. I’m creatively reusing the works, but not for a truly transformative use...I’m using these clips of music and video because they are beautiful and cinematic, not transforming them to be so. They are short clips, but nonetheless quite recognizable, employed through the whole video and in some cases the video might represent “the heart of the work” of the original films.

I’m not selling these videos, but YouTube could eventually make pennies off of ad revenue. I think the biggest factor here is I’m not threatening any rights holders ability to make money, but there are proper channels to license both music and video content for reuse and I didn’t go through them.

In the end, I’m a small YouTube account that will probably only see a few hundred views per video. I’m not worried about anything coming of it but I’d have a tough fair use case to make because I’ve published the on YouTube and agreed to their terms of service.

By the way, there’s some excellent public domain content curated at https://publicdomainreview.org/

• Agreed! You’re not exactly exploiting the work for profit.

• @jebni yeah I think in this case it would just be a matter of “please stop doing that on YouTube”. I don’t think I could afford to license any of these films and so a lawyer wouldn’t waste their time suing for whatever damages there are.